No announcement yet.
X

The 1200 Dollar Special Redux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I gave CP a List of the issues, He suggested an Oil Change in the 750 - Which was done today- I forgot what oil i put in the bike in May- CP reminded me that i had some heavy assed 20W50 in the beast and could be the reason for Sluggish Spin up in the Block. So Out came the Black sludge and In went 3300ml of Motul 10W40 - lets cross our fingers, and Spark Plug Wires that the ticking goes away.
    on a side note- if the Ticking doesn't go away, a Local shop here in St. pete is gonna take a look at her- Better to have a mechanic look at it over me poking around with wrenches and really F'ing something up....

Something is telling me to start putting my 93 600 engine together that been sitting in the garage for 2 years. Maybe if i did that - i could figure out what the hell is going on internally with the 750 instead of paying someone to do it for me- oh well.
    The adventure continues......

Comment

• Rode the 750 to school, I think the sound went away. The noise i think i was hearing was just engine noise....

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodimus View Post
        Rode the 750 to school, I think the sound went away. The noise i think i was hearing was just engine noise....
        So how did it start with the lighter oil?

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• tons easier than before- i think it was the underlying problem. Thanks CP

**Rustles Papers**

Time for the Post Long ride (50 Mile Round trip) Report.
          Took her out for her test run of all places to School which is about a 50 mile round trip excursion. here is the Shake down....

Bike handled fabulously, still have to fix that peg and handlebar- but overall ride quality is 98% Very well. Not too many issues on the trip to school- even took on the Bayside bridge on the way to school . This kid is a serious Mile eater Bottom line. Normally I hate bridges with a passion, not today though, with wind gusts coming across the bridge the Kat held her ground, little shakes here and there but nothing like the 600, Too bad traffic on the Bridge stacks up in the later afternoon, but overall a good run. I come off the bridge on to Mc Mullen Booth Road, which is need of a serious re-paving, bike just eats the road imperfections and hands me a smooth ride- Not like the Night I took her hom from CP where similar Road imperfections almost made me dump the same bike in May- Its a wonder what the correct tires will do for a bike.
          The Guys at school noticed that i wasn't riding the Red 600 immediately, and they actually like the look of the beat up kat. Too bad the sun's already set for the day, cause the Candy Grape Maroon is starting to really take on me seriously.
          Ride home: This time I took US 19 home. Cross winds kicking around 15-20 miles an hour, and im on a bike i do not fully trust yet doing speeds she has not seen at great lenghts of time like this while under my ownership.I run on the cautious side and keep it around 70 (which was the speed of the traffic) swoop through lanes when approriate, wind batters the bike a bit - bug again - not anything like the 600. the 750 just shakes a bit- the 600 will walk across a lane in these same winds - yeah there no real difference between the two bike right??? I catch my exit off US 19 and go thru the construction area of 66th St and Ulmerton. more road work/ un even payment. Bike just eats it up again and gives me a nice ride in return. In short she performs well, rides extremely well. The more i ride her the more I will learn where she lands and where she likes to be ran. I am impressed. I bring her into the Garage and Pull the key 9which is now starting to work with alot less effort than before- I remind myself that the Luggage bars have to go back on tomorrow. I walk past the 600 and consider again to pull its right handle bar for the 750.

Its just a bunch of little stuff now- god I love this bike.
          Last edited by Sundowner; 01-06-2009, 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by Rodimus View Post
            Ride home: This time I took US 19 home. Cross winds kicking around 15-20 miles an hour... wind batters the bike a bit - bug again - not anything like the 600. the 750 just shakes a bit- the 600 will walk across a lane in these same winds - yeah there no real difference between the two bike right???
            OK, the only real difference here is your own riding position, which is something I said to you way, way back when we first rode together to FloridaKat's (about your positioning on the 600).

The bikes have the same fairings, the same basic aerodynamics. Same seats. Same wheels, and are within a few percent of the same weight. The only difference really is the riding position, because of the handlebar positions and your mindset.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Well I still have to take her out on the superslab to see what she does out there. she handled the Road of Death pretty well, let see what happens.
              Plus i got to do my Bridge runs.
              Gandy, Howard Franklin, Courtney Campbell, and Sunshine Skyway.

(Note to self: Thief the Stock Bar ends off the 600)

Comment

• I can't compare to the 600, but I've been on my 750 in all types of weather conditions except for snow. I've always thought the Kat held up well in windy conditions. Hint: (heavy cross-winds) the faster you go, the better the bike handles. It grips the road very well. I ride over the skyway all the time. (even today, not lookin' so good, but I gotta go.)

Glad your liking it
                myspace
                2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

• With The Mechanics wrapping up on the bike, I get to shift gears to Body work. To do so im going to call on the 600 again for parts.
                  Last year I painted the 600 White (we all remember that nightmare) and I promised the 600 new stock red body parts. Since the 600 is taking a break from the road (so she dont turn into the next 1200 Dollar Special) im going to take the Body work off the 600 (minus the tank, headlight, lower nose fairing and Lower fairing) re-sand it down, Primer it and take it to a shop with the Color rite Codes to have a New Coat of Candy Grape Maroon applied to them.
                  Im keeping the tank all dented up for now- it doesn't leak, so why replace it right now- when the rest of the body work is done- I will hunt down a new tank.

Look at it this way- i can go pester CP for that set of Kat Emblems- hehe

Comment

• Kat6 has a local painter that does fairings, swears by his work & prices. I haven't used him or seen his work, but trust Joey's opinion (in part because he is very optically-oriented -- he likes things very 'pretty' and is a perfectionist in that sense; he wouldn't be happy with a less than stellar quality paint job). Give him a call or drop him a PM/email.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Thanks Cp i will have to check him out later.
                      Now that this project is minor stuff and body work- i consider her pretty much done.

now on to project #2

I got some work to do to the car now- alot of work. I might chronicle it here in the lounge under "Project Rodimus" i dunno yet.
                      But I want to take the Car from the Pic above to something along the lines in this link...

another long project started....

Comment

• Ok update time once again....
                        Took the bike out on a Spirited run north today

Clocked over 300 miles today alone on the 1200 DS. Not one mechanical issue. still some minor stuff to address (like a Kickstand) but all in all i was impressed with the Bike. Held her Speed well (over 70 mph at times, spurts of 80+) scrubbed off speed nicely when needed to, i was however a little shaky throwin her into a corner. we Rode the Ozello trail today, which is sort of like the Dragon but without the Elevation changes. the more i ride the trail, the more Confident i will probably become in the corners.
                        Overall- a good day
                        Note to self buy a Corbin seat- my *** with thank me later

Comment

• corbin ..dito my arse is hurting , cp had mad ninja skills on the trail !

Comment

• Gentlemen, remember, I am a corbin dealer -- when you're ready for the saddles, seek me out

PS - thanks for the compliments...

Oh, and Rodimus, did my old heart good to see the $1200 special running so well.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                              Oh, and Rodimus, did my old heart good to see the $1200 special running so well.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Thanks Cp and thanks to the Good Folks here at KR for putting up for me during the build and rebuild. Alot of people know that this bike was a way for me to tune out alot of BS going on in my life (and a ton of stress) There were days i felt like giving up, but I endured, kept plugging along at it. I think there was a little bit of a shocked look on your face when I pulled up behind you at the gas station and you noticed that i was riding her. She offically turns 11 years old in March, and I think she's enjoying the attention. On a side note to everyone. Do your maintenace- I don't care if you do it yourself, have a reputable dealer do it for you, If you dont, what this bike was when CP grabbed her will be the end result. Maintaining the Katana is not that hard, just having alot of faith in yourself, and people like here on KR to give ya a hand when your stumped should give you a ride that will last a long time.

Comment

• Rodi... Ya did a great job.
                                2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                                Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                                "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                                Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                                Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                                "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Working...
                                X