• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok Kiddies Picture times....

Christmas Day 2008 Bringing the Mechanics to a close

Guess who's Going to active Duty???

They see me Rolling.. They Hatin'

Scarred up a bit, but progress in body work.

Again- Active Duty. there are minor stuff to address, but she's breathing, Roaring and running....

Comment

I'd flip and spin those carb clamps so they're easier to access , and less chance of them hanging the throttle up .....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

apparently i had a blonde moment- now with the D&D on the bike... This was my first slip on for the 600. on today's trail run, I notice there were very little Decel pops that are always present on the 600, so i am thinking that there is a Jet kit in the carbs.....

hmmm...

Comment

Only one way to tell

Oh yeah, I posted it in the chatbox but if you do have a jet kit and need to tune:
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

ALL of your hard work is paying off...
            2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
            Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
            "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
            Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
            Veteran of the United States Air Force.
            "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Week 1 Active Duty Report.....

With the Advancer bike fires faster and warms up about 3 times faster than the 600. Huge improvement, I might have to install on in the 600, might. Ok the Bend in the Right side bar is really aggravating me to a degree, its noticeable (still thinking on yanking the 600's throttle side clip on to temporarily adress the issue. I rode the bike almost every day this week, its 32 miles total miles to and from work for one day. so yeah i had to put gas in today. I am starting today to track this tank (and the next three) to gain an average mpg on the bike. Had a chance to face an issue i've had on the 600, with the 750: Heavy Cross winds. Bike does not budge as much (either its me or the bike)as the 600 does (its all over the road). I 've yet to test it in the rain. funny im looking for a rain day to see how she does in the Wet compared to the 600. But over all, I am impressed with the Little Beat up Kat.... Now if i can convert the 600's top tree to a 750 set up - she might not see the parts bin....

Current plans are to recheck all the bolts i have yanked and wrenched on to make sure they have retained proper torque specs. (im kinda anal on those things) and to re-attach the Luggage Bars to the frame after i sand prime and paint them. About the only real complaint is the throttle sticks a bit, but i've noticed i have the cables routed outside the right fork, when i yank the pod off to inspect it, i can always run them between the forks. Other than that she holding her own very well, and earning my trust more and more each day i take her out of the garage. I want to offer a huge thanks to everyone here who has piped in with advice, helped with technical stuff, and listen to me ramble on endlessly in the chat box. I owe you guys a huge thanks.

Comment

Dude , if those carb clamps are still oriented the way they were in that pic , that may be the source of your binding issue .....

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  Dude , if those carb clamps are still oriented the way they were in that pic , that may be the source of your binding issue .....
                  the pic with the open head - no they are not still oriented that way. when i do loosen the clamps- i physically move the clamp to make sure its loose.

Sorry Matt, im kinda brain dead atm

Comment

now im finding a new issue (nothing i am not expecting considering the Age and condition of the bike)
                    Now the bike is hard to start. like there is not enough power getting to the Starter. Everything Lights up and runs fine after starting, but getting it to fire can be difficult at times.

Now so i can cook yer noodles here a list of what i've replaced:
                    battery
                    Starter Relay
                    Right Side Coil

it might be something silly like a battery Wire past its lifespan. After the Bike cools off i will check all the Connections, I am pretty sure They are all to spec when I re-assembled that part of the bike in November.

Comment

• instead of just tightening, pull the bolts and scuff up and clean the cable end and the engine or frame where it bolts. them things does love to corrode. same for the battery side.
                      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

• Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        instead of just tightening, pull the bolts and scuff up and clean the cable end and the engine or frame where it bolts. them things does love to corrode. same for the battery side.
                        +1
                        Especially the ground-connector on the other end of the battery's negative terminal (i.e. - the far end of that wire).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

• well if i do it right now in the mind frame i am in- We will see alot of 98 750 parts on the Cheap in the For sale section. Right now im kinda bummed out about the bike and I dont feel like putting a wrench to her at this point.

Guess i got to drain that Full tank of Fuel into the 600.

Comment

• Originally posted by md86 View Post
                            I'd flip and spin those carb clamps so they're easier to access , and less chance of them hanging the throttle up .....
                            Just curious, what is wrong with how the clamps are positioned? How should they be positioned? Its been a while since i worked on my kat so im not really all there on the topic right now. lol
                            1989 katana 750

Comment

• 600 Sneak Attack Post

As I worked to get the 600 back on the road when i found the engine problems, I did a minor Downgrade on the 600. For the Better part of a year I have ran with Vortex 10 Degree Clip-on on the 600. Made the Bike a little more responsive, at teh cost of Ride quality. When I was almost taken out Christmas night on 275, I was tired of a crappy repsonding bike. Something wasn't right with the 600, she was worse in the rain than she was with her stock setup. Another guy at work Rides too and We were talking about the Squirelliness of the Kat in Foul weather. After explaing what i did to him to get the Clipon's to install. He came up with a theory- I threw the Balance of the bike off when I lowered the front end. Right now the Stock Clips are on, but i got 3/4 of an inch of the bar sticking thru them. which one of these days I got to address. Been Blasting around town to and from work and some of the stability has returned, Even took a bridge or two at better speeds. I will update in this thread later after i raise the Front end of the bike back to stock.

Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
                              Just curious, what is wrong with how the clamps are positioned? How should they be positioned? Its been a while since i worked on my kat so im not really all there on the topic right now. lol
                              I had a pic showing the Open head of the bike- MD thought that i had the Carb clamps in those positions - which i don't. they were loose when i took the pic and I tighten them all at the 12 o'clock position when i re-attach the carbs
                              Last edited by Sundowner; 01-05-2009, 11:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
                                I like to take them off and spin the inner ones and orient them so that it's more of a down shot to get to them . Makes it easier to get them loose/tight without the screwdriver slipping , and less chance the clamps might snag the throttle linkage and cause it to hang .

Comment

Working...
                                X