Katana of the Month – September 2008 – mreedohio

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
Dhawk12
Chicken Strip

So for shits and giggles I did a test switching the low beam and ground wires and turned the key with it in high beam mode and the high beam no longer works. As a result I am fairly confident that the issue here is not one of polarity.

I then did another test where I switched the high and low beam wires leaving the ground where it was and now both lights work albeit opposite of what they should, ie low beam works when the switch is toggled on high beam and high beam works when the switch is toggled on low beam. So it seems that there is indeed some issue with resistance where the low beam on the light does not have a high enough resistance on its own, but needs something else, in this case the little high beam indicator light, to increase the resistance of the circuit to make it work, whereas the high beam, using both lights at the same time has a high enough resistance.

I guess long story short, I now need to determine how big of a resistor to use or just use the light backwards.
Dhawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
Lachie
Squid

Ok interesting have you gone back to the manufacturer, since their local, to get some advice?

I'm not a tech expert in electronics I have some trade background in electrical stuff and have played around a bit with LEDS.

My understanding is LED's don't have great resistance, and will need at least 9.6v to operate so a resistor should not be to big as they will take a percentage of the power, if you want to try that in series.

A resistor installed for the LED replacement indicators is only there to mimic a load for the original flasher relay and parallel to the circuit.

Currently I'm rewiring my bike and going through the wiring and my appreciation is = power doesn't necessarily flow around the circuits as conventional theory would interpret. This is why it is necessary there are diodes in the side stand switch and safety relay to stop power flowing backwards and incorrectly operating the relay.

Having a look at the diagram (bike) the low beam side is pretty simply switched but the high beam connects back into the a larger circuit which has (parallel) off it the indicator light but I doubt this contributes to a load on the "bulb" as a normal filament would suffer from this (due to high resistance of the indicator bulb). And maybe why your picking up a resistance between the two when you test them at the switch.

Will be interested in your final result so keep us posted but I still of opinion it's a polarity issue, just my thought.

Last edited by Lachie; 11-29-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Lachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #13
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

You really shouldn’t use a restistor for LED circuits. An electronic flasher is safer, as the resistors can get very hot. Placed to close to other wires, plastic or carpet could cause melting of such material. Seen it more than once. As far as keeping LEDs from triggering a mil light on a vehicle, buy mil safe lamps, they have built in load limits.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #14
Dhawk12
Chicken Strip

Found the issue. It seems to be a design flaw with the high beam circuit, either on the light itself or the bike. When I unplug the high beam indicator light in the console box, everything works as normal. I discovered this using a test light hooked to the positive side of the battery and found that it dimly lit up when connected to the high beam circuit even if it wasn't on, which makes sense given the parallel indicator light circuit. However, it is my guess that this is causing some sort of ground fault when using the low beam circuit due to the decreased resistance of the LED bulbs over halogen which causes the power to flow back down the high beam circuit to the indicator light's ground.

This would also explain why it worked when switched to high beam as the current flowing through the power wire would prevent the ground fault. It would also explain why the light worked backwards as the high beams had enough resistance or power draw perhaps to force the power away from the false ground.

I guess now I still need to figure out how to make it work so that I have an indicator, perhaps by wiring the the indicator into the circuit differently.

Last edited by Dhawk12; 11-29-2017 at 07:43 PM..
Old 11-29-2017, 09:40 PM   #15
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Might need a diode on that circuit.
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #16
Lachie
Squid

Talking

As my Mrs says Google it (LOL apparently she doesn't know everything )

Anyhow seems to be a common problem with this mod. Not many real answers although have seen a couple that have run the switch backwards.

least ways convinces me it's probably not a good idea to use the high beam circuit to run a USB port.
Lachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 PM   #17
Dhawk12
Chicken Strip

I think the solution is as 92 said, place a diode in the circuit. It will need to be placed basically right by the headlight wiring harness so that power can still flow into the headlight, but cannot go back down the wire into the high beam indicator circuit.

Next step, figure out which diode to use and where to get it.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics