Meanstrk - December 2005 Katana of the Month

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411

Touring 411 Stop into this area for all things touring related. Get all the info. you need
on how to prepare for long rides and tours. Whether you're a true iron butt
or a beginner to long rides, this is where you want to be.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
lovecamping
Skid Mark

Default Gearing change for touring

Hi! I'm new to the Katana, and this forum, but old otherwise I have just purchased a 2006 Katana 750 in new condition with under 2000 original miles. to make a long story short, it's been in a shipping crate for years. I want to use the bike for touring (camping) only but after a first ride (purchased it with the carbs stopped up from storage, never rode it till now) I felt like it has about 3 too many gears. Compounding the problem is the fact that the bike that I'm used to is a V twin cruiser. I have done a lot of searching and found that most people are concerned with acceleration when it comes to gear changes so its hard to tell what is a good ratio. Does any of the members of this forum have a good combination of front and rear sprockets for just touring around site seeing? I'm hoping that I don't have to try multiple sprockets and chains to get what I want. I have a feeling several people already know a good combo. Thanks for your help!
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecamping View Post
Hi! I'm new to the Katana, and this forum, but old otherwise I have just purchased a 2006 Katana 750 in new condition with under 2000 original miles. to make a long story short, it's been in a shipping crate for years. I want to use the bike for touring (camping) only but after a first ride (purchased it with the carbs stopped up from storage, never rode it till now) I felt like it has about 3 too many gears. Compounding the problem is the fact that the bike that I'm used to is a V twin cruiser. I have done a lot of searching and found that most people are concerned with acceleration when it comes to gear changes so its hard to tell what is a good ratio. Does any of the members of this forum have a good combination of front and rear sprockets for just touring around site seeing? I'm hoping that I don't have to try multiple sprockets and chains to get what I want. I have a feeling several people already know a good combo. Thanks for your help!
15/41. You can cut the chain you have now down to fit that.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
lovecamping
Skid Mark

Thanks Krey! I'll give that a try. First gear on this bike reminds me of the old farm trucks with the "granny gear" as people used to call it. I have trailer hitches on most of my bikes, but I still think it is way too low geared even if
I put a hitch on it.
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Kreylyn
Kat King

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecamping View Post
Thanks Krey! I'll give that a try. First gear on this bike reminds me of the old farm trucks with the "granny gear" as people used to call it. I have trailer hitches on most of my bikes, but I still think it is way too low geared even if
I put a hitch on it.
One thing I've noticed is people tend to associate the RPMs with that of a car or other low rev vehicle.

Just FYI... these bikes a slow low rpm easy peasy cruise rpm is 5-8k rpms... and regularly for most times running the bike 8-10k rpm is actually recomended at least once a ride.

I put around at 6k... If I'm in the curves, I tend to keep it over 8k...

I mention this cause even on my bike geared for low high speed/more take off at 15/50 sprocket... my first gear tops out around 45mph+.

Krey

Last edited by Kreylyn; 01-26-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Old 01-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
zuma
Kat King

Hey Tim! How are you guys?

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."
zuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Kreylyn
Kat King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
Hey Tim! How are you guys?
We are doing great Dan, how's things out your way?

Krey
Old 02-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
DClark
Kat Daddy

I'd say wait before you change your gearing. On my 1100, I went down to a smaller rear sprocket , kept it that way for a long time, then went back to stock.
Why?
These bikes are inherently buzzy and at least on mine, there was a resonance that was moved up into the speed where I cruise with a smaller rear sprocket.
That could happen to you.
Fwiw, I have a Morgan carb sticks, I keep it synced , gel grips, gel gloves. The best fix was my '11 concours 14.
Anyhow, get bike sync'd, take out for a spin. These bikes like cruising at high rpm like a dog likes to go for a walk.
DClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
lake_harley
Squid

I did a "mini-tour" late last Summer on my '06 Katana 600. Did a couple 400+ mile days at pretty much an indicated 75-85 MPH. As far as I know it still has stock tooth count sprockets. Counting the front without taking the side cover off was a bit of a challenge, but I'm pretty sure the count was accurate and it came up to be stock according to what I found online.

Anyway......I hope to do more solo touring this Summer with the bike and I'm happy with the gearing and see no need to change anything.

Just my opinion though.....

Lynn
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

The bike is a touring bike, so it is already geared for a balance between HP and TQ
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Touring 411