Katana of the Month – September 2008 – mreedohio

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 07-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
ratrider
Tank Slapper

eBay ID: ratrider07

Question Headlight question

My post has asymmetric headlamps and I've been given a really good symmetrical unit. Before I dig beneath the bodywork, is there a sub loom that I can simply remove the existing one and plug the relevant one in or am I gonna need to splice?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Most likely splice. There is a plug behind the light, but the chances of the plug and wire layout being the same is slim.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #3
ratrider
Tank Slapper

I looked in the back of the manual at the wiring diagrams and it has a sub section for the asymmetric ending in a junction! Two versions on the same page!
Mine is an European fw.
However, a splice is what I was banking on but I just wondered if anyone had any experience on this.
I've got some of those projecter type spots to fit also.......I'm determined to see where I'm going for once when winter comes!

Last edited by ratrider; 07-15-2018 at 02:41 PM..
ratrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
efanton
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratrider View Post
I looked in the back of the manual at the wiring diagrams and it has a sub section for the asymmetric ending in a junction! Two versions on the same page!
Mine is an European fw.
However, a splice is what I was banking on but I just wondered if anyone had any experience on this.
I've got some of those projecter type spots to fit also.......I'm determined to see where I'm going for once when winter comes!

Seems like an awful lot of bother for some decent lighting in winter.

I got a pair of OSRAM Night Racer bulbs and the difference is absolutely amazing

https://www.osram.co.uk/am/ecat/NIGH...t/ZMP_1168301/

I commute 40 miles to and from University each day and during winter it is dusk or night coming home on mostly country roads. Having made the change of bulbs I would never consider changing the headlight units or faffing around trying to mount spots. Not only is the beam brighter it is better spread so that you can see both kerbs at each side of the road.

If you search on ebay you should get a pair of bulbs for less than €30 (well I managed to).

Last edited by efanton; 07-15-2018 at 03:24 PM..
efanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
92xjunker
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efanton View Post
Seems like an awful lot of bother for some decent lighting in winter.

I got a pair of OSRAM Night Racer bulbs and the difference is absolutely amazing

https://www.osram.co.uk/am/ecat/NIGH...t/ZMP_1168301/

I commute 40 miles to and from University each day and during winter it is dusk or night coming home on mostly country roads. Having made the change of bulbs I would never consider changing the headlight units or faffing around trying to mount spots. Not only is the beam brighter it is better spread so that you can see both kerbs at each side of the road.

If you search on ebay you should get a pair of bulbs for less than €30 (well I managed to).
If you have a post Kat, you need to watch the wattage, going above the OEM will burn up the plug behind the lamp.

Quote:
Mine is an European fw.
Vast info for you https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...com&gws_rd=ssl

Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-15-2018 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #6
ratrider
Tank Slapper

I appreciate your help mate but my current asymmetric setup is very past it and employs two types of bulb. My post model is one of the first and I guess the lighting was an afterthought in the beginning!
I have (two types) of top grade bulbs but the unit itself is now past it. Reflector and lens are very weathered.
I've been kindly given the unit which takes two h4 bulbs and is in mint condition! Coupla joins and two new bulb connectors will be a worthy effort!
Early bike has one side of lamp for dipped beam and then the other comes on also for main. Crappy idea cos folk keep telling me I have a bulb out!

Last edited by ratrider; 07-15-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Old 07-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #7
efanton
Skid Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
If you have a post Kat, you need to watch the wattage, going above the OEM will burn up the plug behind the lamp.

They are same wattage as OEM 55/60w

Quote:
I appreciate your help mate but my current asymmetric setup is very past it and employs two types of bulb. My post is one of the first and I guess the lighting was an afterthought in the beginning!
I have (two types) of top grade bulbs but the unit itself is now past it. Reflector and lens are very weathered.
I've been kindly given the unit which takes two h4 bulbs and is in mint condition! Coupla joins and two new bulb connectors will be a worthy effort!
Early bike has one side of lamp for dipped beam and then the other comes on also for main. Crappy idea cos folk keep telling me I have a bulb out!
sorry forgot the old GSX-F had a different headlight setup.

Mines a 98 FW so both bulbs going at the same time on dipped.
Definitely worth changing to night racer bulbs for anyone else that has a 98 onwards bike

Last edited by efanton; 07-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
efanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:14 PM   #8
ratrider
Tank Slapper

Oh hey 92xjunker, the projecters I've got are side mounted auxiliarys, sorry I didn't make things clear! European bike seems to throw folk as well as my diction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efanton View Post
They are same wattage as OEM 55/60w

sorry forgot the old GSX-F had a different headlight setup.

Mines a 98 FW so both bulbs going at the same time on dipped.
Definitely worth changing to night racer bulbs for anyone else that has a 98 onwards bike
Mine is an fw also! Same bike but they had a change of heart regarding the lights during that year it seems!

Last edited by ratrider; 07-15-2018 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #9
92xjunker
Supporting Member

No, I realized your light function is different. It’s just some ideas that might fix your vision issues.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
ratrider
Tank Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92xjunker View Post
No, I realized your light function is different. It’s just some ideas that might fix your vision issues.
I do think that's pretty awesome by the way mate!
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics