No announcement yet.
X

Y2KTJ's $50 1990 gsx600f build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So guy with the bike never got back to me after a couple emails so exhaust is still up in the air. Working in the shop is like therapy for me so spent some time on the rear plastics. Sanded and slapped some paint on.

The white plastics were showing all the years of sitting outside and kicking around the shop. With the time I've put in on the bike I did it more to make the bike more my own. Far from perfect but will do for now.

Got the front end off the ground to see what was going on. The steering stem nut was only finger tight. Redneck in me says hammer and drift to tighten it! lol I'll check the manual but is a special tool needed? I got it tight enough by hand so there isn't any play anymore for now.

So since the parts bike looks to be a no go I was looking into brake levers. Parts diagram says 89+ are all the same but looking online I see levers for 88 and then 92+. I searched here and nothing really specific.

Going to order a chain and sprockets in the next few days. 14/45 tooth for sprockets and 112 link chain correct for stock replacements.

Comment

• Posted in another thread regarding brake lever but no response. Is it only the 88 lever that is different on pres?? searching for one and I see 88 listings and 92+. Parts schematics says only the j model is different. Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• Some paint on the left fairing

Comment

• I've never bought levers, but I remember seeing in a thread here on Katriders that pre and post lever swap. I know its a pain in the ass, but search and search again.
          Looks good by the way. Reminds me of 92Xjunkers bike with the black and red. Just don't paint your forks red...yuck...LOL !
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

• 88 models are a unique conundrum... most every part on them was slightly different than later models. It's basically the prototype put into production, and then almost everything got a slight redesign... so I know the 88 front master are different. I can't' say for sure if the 89 is also, but some parts on the 89 600 did carry over from 88. 90+ I know did not, so would be safe for sure on those. That said, I'm not 100% sure on the lever, but If you have found any info saying it is different for the 88, believe it.

That said... sometime in the next month or so, I believe I will have a 88 model coming to my garage for some 411 going over it. It's a rough looking had a real hard life streetfighter... so I'm not sure it will be much confirmation, but maybe the I can check simple stuff like the levers matching.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Originally posted by katanarider View Post
              I've never bought levers, but I remember seeing in a thread here on Katriders that pre and post lever swap. I know its a pain in the ass, but search and search again.
              Looks good by the way. Reminds me of 92Xjunkers bike with the black and red. Just don't paint your forks red...yuck...LOL !
              Yeah I do plenty of searches but sometimes the info is conflicting or vague. It's good from far but far from good! It's only has 1 coat on it and a few blemishes. Got a new compressor for Christmas and plan to learn some body work. The armor on the jeep gets painted every few years after rocks and a little tree sex so figure I'll learn how to do it right, the smaller panels on the bike will be a good place to start.

No red forks. Here's a pic of the final plan.

and the right side on

Tried red on the oil cover but sprayed it black tonight.

Spent the evening trying to remove the front fender. PO had replaced one of the bolts with a Phillips that stripped right away even with penetrating lube. Got the fender off and sanded and painted. The mount and screw are still there. Tried cutting a slot in it but still no go. Sprayed more lube and will try again later.

And here's a pic of the Lego repair on the left side fairing.

The rounded part that sticks out had road rash on the upper and lower part. Didn't get any before pics but turned out pretty good in person for 1 coat and no filler. The bubble holes I could see but after looking at the pic I noticed the waves above it from the thickness of the old paint. Felt smooth to the touch but next time I'll remove all the old paint so there is only 1 transition and not multiple.

And thanks for the post Krey. Mine is a 1990 as far as I know. The frame is for sure but I think the forks are from a 88 since there is no adjuster.

Comment

• Hey man, let me tell you that those red wheels are going to filthy from the chain grease ! Oh, and the left side, rear fairing (where you have it painted red).
                It only take 2 or 3 rides, even after a thorough cleaning !
                If you want to keep it looking good, go black on the wheels too !
                As a matter of fact, go completely black all over. That red belly fairing will also get oily from oil changes.
                I just keep my fairings off until its time to go show off. But then everyone is like, its still a Katana. ...Oh well , It still not too horribly slow and it gets great gas milage !

Comment

• I’d agree with the wheel color. Since you’re copying my bike, polish the lip of the wheels. Red forks work to break up the dead black color.....Oh, you’ll need RaceTech stickers to breakup the Red.....lol
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• LOL ! You can alway just leave the wheels purple. After all its powder coated, which is way better than paint and it doesn't look that bad on black. Maybe you should reconsider the red/black combo and go purple and black combo....thats actually a factory Katana color ! You can even get purple seats off ebay. After all, that 30yr old cover is most likely going to crack when you start riding the bike on a regular basis.
                    Yeap, purple and black is a factory color ! Brake caliper and all kinds of shit you'll ever find on ebay or any where will be purple !
                    Go black and purple, or I'll come kick your ass....All the way to Canada..!!!

Comment

• I f***ing hate the color purple......still built a white and purplish bike....didn’t look to bad.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

• .Lmao!! Its not purple its actually a metallic blue, and a decent color if that's your thing. Po painted the bike, was red at one time based on the inside of the fairings.

Katrider tell me you don't really take your fairings off!! That would be like swapping to 30" street tires on the jeep to save the tread on the muds! Im all for having a nice looking ride but they were meant for the road.

Black and purple like this?

lol
                        It's snowing here right now so better wait for a visit!!

​​​​​​Junker you have any more pics of your bike so I can get it exact! Only one I've seen is kinda out of focus!

Thanks for the advice. Never thought about the chain grease. Something to consider in the future. Not concerned with the paint since its just a rattle can job for now anyway. $50 bike remember!!! Ok not true...I'm up to about $350cdn(that's $270 us) plus $30 in paint!!lol

Serious question now regarding the chain tensioners. Took the swingarm off tonight and one of them is alittle concaved. Red a post on the book of faces of a guy whose rear tire came loose after a chain swap. Chain did all kinds of damage around the small sprocket (forget the name of the cover on that side) I gather he was lucky it didn't do more damage to the motor. Obviously his axle wasn't tight which caused his issues but he blamed the tensioner. Made me wonder how important they are. I get that they don't hold the axle in place, but comman sense says that they play a part. I've read of swapping to a beefier version. If the guy had beefier tensioners than the axle wouldn't have moved as much causing less damage right? Not a reason to not torque the axle properly but added insurance if it does lossen.

Loose wheel is why the PO dropped the bike in the first place and the tensioner is evidence of that. I'm guessing the bent tensioner should be replaced so should I replace with something better? Going to search the swap now but advice is always appreciated.

Comment

• I don't remove my fairings, I just never have them on the bike...Period !
                          One reason is that they are in perfect shape, with factory paint. If I ever wanted to sell the bike, it still looks brand new.
                          Don't get me wrong, I have tail fairings to keep my fuse box covered and my alarm concealed.
                          I ride my bike ever single fucking day that its not cold or raining, unlike alot of these so called "riders" you see during the summer riding in packs like its some sort of gang sport. Lots of chain oil flinging all over the goddamn place and dripping all in my yard and my work parking spot, every single day !
                          No fairings makes maintenance and/or inspections a no brainer. Drop the bike ? Ha, no fairings to destroy in the first place !
                          Sorry, beer talking at the moment ... Peace !

Comment

• Oh yeah, while I'm drunk and thinking clearly. Let me tell you that your second diagram with the bottom fairings black is way better...why ? Because your probably going to want to upgrade your rims/wheels at some point to the wider post-98 rims (wider tires-front and back)... And, with that said, the 750cc rims come power coated black (althought the powder coating was faulty on the front rims of the black 750cc/ it was dull and flaked with age). Most of the 600cc rims, which are way-way easier to find than the 750cc rims are always silver. So, make that decision now. You'll most likely end up with either black or silver rims at some point.

Comment

• Katrider that makes little sense to me.Kats are ugly without the fairings. I doubt pristine plastics are going to make that much a difference on resale. To each there own.

The red on the lower part of the rear is already painted so thinking I'll go with this

​​​​​​Painted the swing arm and the rear rim black today.

Comment

• Looks like mine.......lol
                                i think I’m going to flip the script on the color and use better shades.....so your good..
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X