Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Ever get hit with anything while out riding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran into a group of crazy, death wish, birds too..riding out in Amish country. 100's of them, just chillin on the road then I ride up, and they wait till the last freekin second to fly away, even when you honk the horn. It's like they are daring you to get closer.

Comment

the typical things here in FL, lots of bugs, sand, and almost lightning..now that one is scary. But I'd say the worst was when I first moved here 15 or so odd years ago, riding to the beach shorts and no shirt, but with helmet.. before they changed the laws here. I got hit by a horned beetle in my chest only thing left was his head and the horn sticking into me. Doing about 55 or so at the time.
      "The time has come", the walrus said, "to speak of many things"

Comment

I wasn't thinking about this thread when I posted about my dodging a flying (ur, bouncing) mountain bike that flew off a van on the 5 freeway this weekend.

But this evening I guess I officially became a member of the club when I took out a possum on the way home. This Mustang in front of me swerved to miss this thing running across the street. I thought it was a cat until it decided to stop in the middle of the street and double-back. Ran right under my front wheel. I was doing about 35-40 and it was either me, the possum or the parked cars.

Busa 1 - Possum 0.

I went back to see if it was just stunned, but no. Just kinda flat. I really didn't feel much. Sort of like a really small speed bump only softer. I felt bad but I'm glad it wasn't anything larger and I was going faster.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
          So far, I've been hit by locusts, rocks/gravel/construction sand, semi-truck tire treads, a bat, a million love bugs, a few hundred stones, a dozen cigarettes, a cigar, styrofoam, a 5 gallon paint bucket half-filled with roofing nails and no lid, a sandstorm, various downed tree limbs, and a 4x4 beam of lumber.

I've barely missed tire & rim (both came off a vehicle's trailer), cinder blocks (still cartwheeling from the truck they came off of), sacks of concrete, a dozen large boxes (including a water heater box with water heater in it), tree trunk sections, more semi-truck tire treads, various animals (last Rally was an owl, two foxes, an opossum and a deer all in a two mile stretch of road between Tapaco and Fontana coming back the back way from the Wendy's), rabbits/hares, road runners, cacti, and god knows what all else.

The paint bucket scared the crap out of me (both tires left the ground as I went over it), but the love bugs hurt the worst (they're hyper-acidic due to eating citrus fruit and burn in the eye like no other bug I've ever hit). Most of the other stuff (like the 4x4 beam) hit the bike but not me.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet

I think I saw this in the movie TWISTER
          Is Effingham a swear word?

Comment

I seen a guy almost get taken out by a shovel. We were going down the highway, I was in teh cage, and a guy on a CBR. I was in the fast lane, he was in the slow lane, and in front of him was a big arse cement truck. The cement trucks back tire ran over the shovel, sent it flying, the guy on the CBR ducked and swereved, missed him, and almost came through the windsheild. That was damns cary, if that would have hit him, he would have been knocked off for sure! ANd I wasn't looking forward to having come through my window either.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

OH, forgot....
              Almost got hit by a bicycle that came off a van on the 5 fwy.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                OH, forgot....
                A bike ?? how close was that call!!

Comment

i've got hit with little rocks and more than my share of bugs splatter all over my helmet shield.

i wonder how it is for guys on cruisers...you know..
                  Hello World.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                    Originally posted by tdrcomm
                    OH, forgot....
                    A bike ?? how close was that call!!

I headed back down Ortega last Saturday to hit the 5. As I stop at a light there's a minivan in the next lane with two really expensive mountain-road-whatever bikes mounted on the roofrack (the kind of bikes that cost more than my car). The light turns green and they go ahead of me and get on the onramp. A couple of cars later I get on. I pass a few cars and end up right behind the van with the bikes.

You know Murphy's Law?

I look up and say to myself, "It would really suck if one of those bike flew off that van". I hit the blinker, check the mirror, give a quick glance to check the lane, and ease into the right lane. When I look up one of the bikes is in mid-air, flying, then cartwheeling behind the van. I squeezed over to the far right of my lane and trie d to judge the bounces. Between the second and third bounce I gave a twist and sped by the bike and the now slowing van. I can't hear a whole lot on the bike but I did hear the screeching of tires and I didn't turn around to look. It's kind of hard moving around in "wet" leathers.

I've dodged rocks, potholes and tires before but NEVER a bicycle.
                    sigpic

Comment

I got hit by cigaretts, and once this dude trew a cup with Ice and hit me dead on... Needless to say He has an alpinestars logo dented in his fender, I hope he likes it

Comment

Wow, that's wild TDR...its one thing to get hit with something little that you cant really see till it hits you, but to nearly get clocked with a bike while riding had to suck!

Comment

It was weird trying to time the bounces and figure out which lane it was going to end up in.
                          sigpic

Comment

i got a crow in the head at about 95mph causing the shield to break in to like 5 pieces(Z1R), and a mild concusion.
                            A groundhog on a curve cusing me to slide out and causing $500 in damage and,
                            A cat while going about 70mph causing $2000 in damage.
                            The worst thing about it is that it all happened last season, other then that just bugs and rocks
                            The Katana's Big Brother
                            1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Only on my four-wheeler. That darn tree moved right into my path!

Comment

Took out a rabbit at 120 mph. stupid thing ran out infront of my freind and then turned back. Figured I was good so I got back on the gas and it decided to run infront of me. Didn't even think I hit it till I looked back and saw it rolling down the road. I was tryin to catch up to my buddy and tell him when all of a sudden a dove darted in front of him. Hit him right in the middle of his face sheild, all I saw was a bunch of feathers. We had to pull over and laugh about that for a few minutes

Comment

Working...
                                X