Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Do all kats require the clutch to be pulled in to start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disabled the switch on my 98

The bike will not start in gear so there is no reason for the switch really.

The wires for the switch plug into the bottom of the clutch lever on the handlebars. to elimnate the switch use a 3/4" piece of 22 awg wirem strip strip 1/4" off each end. Unplug one of the wires and slip the wire into the connector and put it back onto the switch then remove the other wire shove the wire into it and hook it back up. basicaly you have just jumped the two wires together. NO need to cut or twist wires. it take 30 seconds to install and 2 seconds to remove.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
      The bike will not start in gear so there is no reason for the switch really.
      Really? I disabled the switch on mine a little bit ago but mine will definitely start in gear, i have to do it at stoplights sometimes when it overheats and dies
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
        However is this a big deal? it will start in neutral, and you will look like a real fool on the day you start the bike in gear, it jumps off the side stand and a elderly couple needs to help you out from under the bike as the cute girl with the Miata walks by.......
        Sure, the cute girl HAS to drive a Miata right?

Comment

I have to clutch mine in nuetral good saftey if they cant crank it they cant take it

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            Really? I disabled the switch on mine a little bit ago but mine will definitely start in gear, i have to do it at stoplights sometimes when it overheats and dies
            To start the bike (unless something is wrong/changed):
            In neutral side stand up or down.
            In gear with clutch in side stand up.

Even with the clutch switch jumpered the side stand switch will kill the bike.
            So my example was really a joke..

Comment

Unless the neutral light is on... my bike will not crank over.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                Unless the neutral light is on... my bike will not crank over.
                Means the clutch contact switch isn't engaging correctly, or the wires to it are bad...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Gsxxx600 View Post
                  where is the clutch switch?
                  On the clutch lever. You will see two blade terminals if you look at the clutch lever from the front of the bike. Reversable way to disable switch is to make a very short jumper with blade terminals on both ends, and jumper between the two wires.

My Sprint has a pretty cool feature- clutch does need to be pulled in to start, but if sensors determine that trans is in neutral, I can release the clutch and starter motor continues to turn. Oddly, bike seems to fire off sooner if trans is in neutral than if it's in gear and clutch pulled all the way in.
                  "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

My thought is... instead of disabling the clutch switch, include requiring being in high beam along with clutch switch to start. That should be a cheap, discrete security system.
                    Last edited by jefthom; 02-24-2008, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jefthom View Post
                      My thought is... instead of disabling the clutch switch, include requiring being in high beam along with clutch switch to start. That should be a cheap, discrete security system.
                      Except for the horn sounding each time you start the bike!

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'll probably disable it on mine... It's inconvenient. I always make sure it's in neutral anyways. If you start it up in gear, the second you let go of the clutch lever after it starts will cause the bike to lunge forward anyways, so you have to make sure it's in neutral one way or another. It's a redundant safety feature if you ask me.
                        My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

I disabled mine on the race bike so that the A-TRE would work as an ordinary TRE. I left it as is on the Kat but that's just cause I'm lazy.
                          sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                          MSF Rider Coach 27028
                          MoPowerSports.com
                          Torco
                          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Originally posted by jefthom View Post
                            I like that idea. I think having to hold down the horn button to start the bike might be even better. No one watching would notice, and no one does that accidentally. You could accidentally leave the lights on high beam...
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk View Post
                              Personally, I HATE the clutch switch and will disable it on any bike I own. I just consider it a huge inconvenience to have to use two hands to start the bike. Sure, it will start while in gear if, and ONLY if, the kick stand is up. It only takes a split secong to view that green neutral light before hitting the switch.
                              The green light isnt always correct, its possible to get a false neutral where it is indicated but not actually in neutral, or if your clutch isnt adjusted properly and it could stick when its cold....

Comment

Working...
                              X