Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Do all kats require the clutch to be pulled in to start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do all kats require the clutch to be pulled in to start?

In Neutral, my kat requires the clutch to be completely squeezed in order to start it.

All others bikes Ive tried...2000 Ninja 250, 2004 R6, dont require the use of pulling the clutch lever in.

Is there a mod to defeat this?

I don't have to squeeze mine?

Is there maybe an ignition sensor or something on yours that is not sensing it is in neutral? Honestly, I have no idea, just throwing ideas out there...
    Thanks to KR, everytime I look at my bike, my wallet screams "NOOOOOOOoooooo"

Comment

thats weird!

It must just be on my bike...I dont even know how i would get rid of it...there has to be some type of sensor that when contact is made it allows start up, perhaps its right near the left switches

Comment

Nope, not just ur bike. Mines the same way, clutch in to start my 2000 GSX600F. No matter if its in neutral or gear.
        Keith Paton
        Red Kat 600 00 SOLD
        13 GSXR750

Comment

It is a starter interlock built into Suzuki motorcycles, Kawasai, Honda and Yamaha do not use this feature.
          You can disable it, but then the bike will crank in nuetral and also any gear without the clutch pulled in. If you want to do this, it is fairly sinple. Locate the clutch interlock wires, cut them and twist them together.
          If you wanna live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn!!!

Comment

I think its a nice safety feature to have. the last thing u wanna do is try and start the bike while its in gear and then it lunges forward and off you go.

Similar the the sensor the kickstand that wont allow you to move until its up or she stalls out.

Comment

mine will start up in neutral w/out the clutch being pulled. It's the same with the kickstand.

Comment

I would suggest leaving it stock. I like the feature...saved me starting it in first once (I was in a hurry) and my daughter had the experience of starting her Nighthawk in first...ran into the rear of a friends Sportster Really embarrassing.
                My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Personally, I HATE the clutch switch and will disable it on any bike I own. I just consider it a huge inconvenience to have to use two hands to start the bike. Sure, it will start while in gear if, and ONLY if, the kick stand is up. It only takes a split secong to view that green neutral light before hitting the switch.

How do you disable it? Basically by shorting out the two wires that go the the clutch switch. I do this by soldiering a wire between the two connectors and just leave the connectors on the switch so the wires are no dangling.

BTW........ If you ever break a clutch lever in a simple get off, it is nice to have that switch disabled already.

It is not even a safety issue if you are use to not having the thing. I DO leave the kickstand switch in place though.
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Ex10DidKatana600
                    It is a starter interlock built into Suzuki motorcycles, Kawasai, Honda and Yamaha do not use this feature.
                    You can disable it, but then the bike will crank in nuetral and also any gear without the clutch pulled in. If you want to do this, it is fairly sinple. Locate the clutch interlock wires, cut them and twist them together.
                    mine starts clutch-free in neutral, but you have to use the clutch if it's in gear... odd
                    Thanks to KR, everytime I look at my bike, my wallet screams "NOOOOOOOoooooo"

Comment

I'm gonna look into doing this on mine. When i go to start mine, i usually have my helmet in my left hand, and use my right leg thigh to push the clutch in and start it. Worked great, until i snapped about an inch off of my clutch lever. clutchless starts in neutral would be very handy. But i guess i could allway just set my helmet down somewhere

Comment

That safety measure saved me once too when I was in a hurry and trying to start up get outta work to an appt. Had I been able to start it up immediately and pull out, a poor defenseless slug making his way in front of my bike would have squished because I wouldnt have noticed him!

Comment

my bike starts, in neutral, in gear, stand up, stand down, clutch in, clutch out. Doesn't matter. The only time I can't engage the starter is when the ignition is off.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yeah, my '92 Kat 750 has the neutral safety switch, as did my sister-in-law's 2001 Suzuki Savage. It bugs the heck out of me as my '75 Suzuki & '88 Honda didn't have them (nor does my renter's '89 FZR)... that'll be an "adjustment" made shortly!

Comment

where is the clutch switch?

Comment

Working...
                              X