Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Do all kats require the clutch to be pulled in to start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to pull in the clutch on mine, 2005 750
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Mine too 2000 600F

Comment

Inagine my surprse when after 6 months of pulling in the clutch I discovered that the clutch switch was jumpered!!!

Anyone wanting to jumper thiers:
        Under the tank the wires from the clutch attach to the main harness with bullet pluges (like the ones on the turn signals) so unplug the clutch cable and hook the two wires from the main harness together.

However is this a big deal? it will start in nutral, and you will look like a real fool on the day you start the bike in gear, it jumps off the side stand and a elderly couple needs to help you out from under the bike as the cute girl with the Miata walks by.......

Comment

thanks peter

Comment

It doesn't Jump that bad in gear when started....... and I pull the front brake when starting so its not going anywhere..... I've been able to start mine anytime the key is on as long as I have had my bike..... Actually got me home one time when my screw assembly broke on my cluch....... I guess its a pro vs.con thing for each person.....
            '07 SV1000S
            Power Commander III USB
            M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
            Driven 520 chain kit
            Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              Inagine my surprse when after 6 months of pulling in the clutch I discovered that the clutch switch was jumpered!!!

Under the tank the wires from the clutch attach to the main harness with bullet pluges (like the ones on the turn signals) so unplug the clutch cable and hook the two wires from the main harness together.

However is this a big deal? it will start in nutral, and you will look like a real fool on the day you start the bike in gear, it jumps off the side stand and a elderly couple needs to help you out from under the bike as the cute girl with the Miata walks by.......
              I know this is a really old thread, but I just performed this mod and found a much easier way of doing it.

I unplugged the wire-connector that plugs into the bottom of the clutch handle assembly. I took some speaker wire, skinned it, twisted it together and formed it into a C shape. I then placed each end into either side of the wire connector and plugged it back in. And shabang, clutch-less starting.

D
              Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post

Peter this sounds like personal experience talkin to me. Do you have video by chance? I've just always been in the habit of pulling in the clutch when starting ANY bike, even the baby Kawi that's kick start only, if it needs it or not. My '80 Kawi 750 LTD has the clutch interlock, and so did most of the mid to late 70's CB750's i've worked on. My '90 750 Kat has all the interlocks too. Many seem to be tied in with the neutral switch to allow clutchless starting when IN neutral, or clutch in starting when in gear. A short study of the wiring diagram in your owners manual, or shop manual can tell you which, any, or all types of interlocks. I just think it's a good safely practice to always start a bike with the clutch in. Neutral lights can fib ya gnow.
                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I won't comment about the wisdom of having the clutch sensor over-ridden except to say if I find it on an used bike I'm buying, I'll restore it to stock.

Note that the method BP talks about (above) applies only to the pre-98's -- 98+ models don't use bullet connectors in the loom.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think it is definitely a good thing to have. It is no big deal for me to just pull in the clutch to start.
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment

I too find the pulling in of the clutch inconvenient. However, I figure that the reqirement was there because someone at some time created the need for it.
                      What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

what the big deal about pulling in the clutch to start the bike its a safety feature its there to help the rider from himself thats a inconvenient? are you kidding
                        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

Pulling in the clutch also gives you a moment of pause when you're in a hurry just to make sure you're completely set and ready to ride. Sometimes when you're in a hurry and you just want to hop on, start it and go but pulling in the clutch and making sure you're in nuetral at the same time just keeps you honest :mrgreen: ..I think if I rigged the wiring to bypass that it would bite me in *** at some point and I'd pull a BP right in front of a really hot chick

Comment

sounds like you guys are overriding a safety issue. I think I'll continue to pull the clutch in. I naturally park in 1st gear anyway. I don't need the bike rolling of the kickstand in neutral.
                            myspace
                            2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat View Post
                              I think its a nice safety feature to have. the last thing u wanna do is try and start the bike while its in gear and then it lunges forward and off you go.

Similar the the sensor the kickstand that wont allow you to move until its up or she stalls out.
                              +1

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat View Post
                                :mrgreen: ..I think if I rigged the wiring to bypass that it would bite me in *** at some point and I'd pull a BP right in front of a really hot chick
                                Oh Lordie, i think this trick has just gotten an official name, a "Black Peter" ROFLMUFAO (rolling on floor laughing my Uncle Fester a** off)
                                Last edited by DumbLuck; 02-23-2008, 08:20 PM.
                                99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                                1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                                '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                                Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                                X