No announcement yet.
X

Is it every too hot to ride?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, cant wait for the rain, dreary days, snow, sleet, ice, freezing rain...

Comment

it can get pretty hot in the valley here in cali durring the peek of the summer...115º+. Around 12-4 in the afternoon it can be a little taxing.....

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
        Nice ride Bob and it is not to hot here but in Arizona you only ride at night in the summer.
        Thanks for the Props, Thazkats.

Pre 98's Rock!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1593731870

http://www.myspace.com/bobbyma

Comment

when it is really that hot, I usually like to be at the lake. I enjoy boating and fishing as much as biking. so if it is too hot, I am at the cottage. How do I get to the cottage? On my bike, of course.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Depends on how far, how hot. I'm not sure I'd want to do Death Valley in the middle of summer, running back and forth across the valley doing a package delivery thing all day. Or riding across some Saudi or Tunesian highway in broad daylight in the summer. But for most of the rest of the USA -- give me a break!

KNOW THIS:
            While riding, usually the major source of liquid loss isn't sweating, it's breathing, so even if you're not sweating, you need to keep hydrated well while riding. This applies as much in 60 degree weather as it does in 90 degree weather. If you are riding in the South, West, or anywhere the temps are soaring, learn the warning signs that you are dehydrated before heat stroke sets in.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              when it is really that hot, I usually like to be at the lake. I enjoy boating and fishing as much as biking. so if it is too hot, I am at the cottage. How do I get to the cottage? On my bike, of course.
              I agree with you and that is why my second favorite sport is jet skiing.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Depends on how far, how hot. I'm not sure I'd want to do Death Valley in the middle of summer, running back and forth across the valley doing a package delivery thing all day. Or riding across some Saudi or Tunesian highway in broad daylight in the summer. But for most of the rest of the USA -- give me a break!

KNOW THIS:
                While riding, usually the major source of liquid loss isn't sweating, it's breathing, so even if you're not sweating, you need to keep hydrated well while riding. This applies as much in 60 degree weather as it does in 90 degree weather. If you are riding in the South, West, or anywhere the temps are soaring, learn the warning signs that you are dehydrated before heat stroke sets in.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                If there is a benefit of wearing a half face helmet, and riding on a cruiser, its being able to keep a water bottle handy and grab drink while riding.

Have that many times.. guy have cup holders set up and keep a water bottle handy.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                  Originally posted by The CyberPoet

KNOW THIS:

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  If there is a benefit of wearing a half face helmet, and riding on a cruiser, its being able to keep a water bottle handy and grab drink while riding.

Have that many times.. guy have cup holders set up and keep a water bottle handy.
                  I used to have a nice metal canteen that was in an insulated pouch. that was on a belt and went around my waist. I took a piece 1/4 in brake line cut to length so it went to the bottom of the canteen and tapped the end of it for about an inch. Then I drilled the cover of the canteen and secured the brake line with an o-ring and a nut inside and outside the cap. then I attached a rubber hose to it with a spring clamp and cut it to legnth so clip to my jacket. When I needed a drink, I just flipped up the visor, grabbed the end of the hose and stuck it in my mouth. It was very easy to make. I used to crush up some ice and half fill the canteen with it so the water would stay cold longer. I could have good drinking water for 4-5 hours. It was also handy when fly-fishing. I could be up to my crotch in a river and a drink of water was available while keeping my hands relatively free. That is where I lost it. I left it on a riverbank. I am going to make another someday soon.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

So I went out in the oppressive northeast humidity with my mesh gear yesterday. Quick 45 minute ride to nowhere, came back DRENCHED.

Mesh gear stuck slimly to my skin, could have joined a wet t-shirt party, Jeans all moist and clingy to the legs. Full face helmet makes it real hard to wipe the sweat from your brow.

But - IT WAS still FUN and I'll do it again.

I just moved to MA from Colorado, I am really not used to this humidity.....Is this normal for MA? Winter was crazy snow, spring was washed out, and summer is real sticky and hot so far. Someone told me the weather this past year is not typical. Hope their right!

Comment

Originally posted by BISQ
                      If you're a suit and tie guy like I have to be, then yeah...I have to take the car.

Especially if I have to to to different locations during the day for presentations or meetings. The "rumpled sweaty suit and mashed hair" look doesn't go over well. :P
                      I am with you on this one. I can't show up at a customers dripping because it is 90+ degrees outside and I will not ride with out my gear.

Comment

I believe it was "Reece" who said it best...... If it's too hot for gear then it's too hot to ride.

Fortunately I have perforated leathers that breathe well so as long as I stay moving and hydrated heat is not an issue. Stoplights, traffic jams and rest stops without shade can really suck though.
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Ive never encountered a situationm where I thought it was too hot to ride.

As far as complaining about the weather, that is human nature get used to it. I think alot of the complaints in my area are happening because there was absolutely no spring. it literally went from 55 to 90 degrees overnight and its been that way for 2 weeks.

Granted, it is supposed to get down to 75-80 later this week
                          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat

Camelback or something similar . I sipped icewater under my helmet the whole trip down to the Gap last summer . It holds almost 2 liters on your back, and will keep cool for a few hours (cold can be felt through jacket , too !) . Cost ? About $10 where I got mine .
                            I have a full black perf-leather outfit , and I've ridden around town at about 95 degrees and PLENTY humid . Yeah , it sucks . But if you can keep moving (like AWAY from the city) , it ain't that bad at all . Can't say anything about the desert or Ca. in the summer , as I've never been there , but it DOES get very hot here in the summer (already had a couple 90 degree days) .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              I used to have a nice metal canteen that was in an insulated pouch. that was on a belt and went around my waist. I took a piece 1/4 in brake line cut to length so it went to the bottom of the canteen and tapped the end of it for about an inch. Then I drilled the cover of the canteen and secured the brake line with an o-ring and a nut inside and outside the cap. then I attached a rubber hose to it with a spring clamp and cut it to legnth so clip to my jacket. When I needed a drink, I just flipped up the visor, grabbed the end of the hose and stuck it in my mouth. It was very easy to make. I used to crush up some ice and half fill the canteen with it so the water would stay cold longer. I could have good drinking water for 4-5 hours. It was also handy when fly-fishing. I could be up to my crotch in a river and a drink of water was available while keeping my hands relatively free. That is where I lost it. I left it on a riverbank. I am going to make another someday soon.
                              The guys from Camelback found it on that riverbank, improved it slighty, patented it (well, I would imagine they did) and are now making a killing... should have done the same yourself :P

=-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by scrape
                                So I went out in the oppressive northeast humidity with my mesh gear yesterday. Quick 45 minute ride to nowhere, came back DRENCHED.

Mesh gear stuck slimly to my skin, could have joined a wet t-shirt party, Jeans all moist and clingy to the legs. Full face helmet makes it real hard to wipe the sweat from your brow.

But - IT WAS still FUN and I'll do it again.

I just moved to MA from Colorado, I am really not used to this humidity.....Is this normal for MA? Winter was crazy snow, spring was washed out, and summer is real sticky and hot so far. Someone told me the weather this past year is not typical. Hope their right!
                                it isnt typical, but then again its been this way for about 3 years in a row now. so maybe its the new "typical"
                                Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Working...
                                X