No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I stared at it. Thunderstorms predicted all day yet it was sunny all day....until I got about halfway home and it was dark as midnight and even with my wipers on full blast I couldn't see the end of my hood. Boy am I glad I jumped in the car even when it was beautiful at 5am when leaving for work! lol
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
    2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
    1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Comment

• Used it to teach a guy on an SV1000 a lesson about launching.
      "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

• Balanced the wheels

Comment

• Finished making the list of parts I need to do the ole girl justice, and then cried looking at my bank account
          ...I dream of things that never were, and I ask why not.

Comment

• Put some more miles on it... maybe tear down tomorrow or next day to correct a few small issues...

Comment

• Flushed n filled the fork oil. It was nasty, and lots of water in it. Upgraded to 15 wt from whatever was in there

Comment

• Added the LED illumination to and installed the license plate mount/rear fender cowling that I fabbed up last week.
                Installed new crush washer on oil pan drain plug.

Comment

• 102 degrees today without humidity. Its high here! was like riding in front of a heater. Rode to work and back.
                  A fool can't act wise, but the wise can act a fool.

Comment

• I spent all day trying to get my (new to me) slightly used '06 - 750 Katana, to run. I bought this one on craigslist. When i went to look at it, the guy tried to start it and it hesitated and then revved unevenly and spat out about a gallon of gas out the airbox -- I left and came back a few days later -- he said he had cleaned it up and tried it again -- and it did the same thing. He dropped the price considerably. I'm no real mechanic, but the price and the newness of the bike (right at 2000 miles) - I decided I could get it running or as a last resort take it somewhere to get it running and still have a good purchase and a great ride.

So I did what any rank amateur mechanic would do -- googled my way to this forum and several others -- seems that,
                    yes, the guy left it on PRI all winter -
                    yes, when I checked, the oil was full of gas -
                    yes, as suggested, i blew out the carbs (but not a thorough clean yet) -
                    yes, starting a couple of days ago, I ran three sets of oil changes with two filter changes - to get the gas out (I also let it sit a day in between the first and second one).
                    yes, I pulled the plugs and the 4th one was a bit carboned over the others were clean but a bit moist w/gas - So I put in new NGKs.

So late this afternoon I put it all back together and gave it a rip -- with the fuelcock set at ON (after 20 seconds of PRI) -- it immediately started -- but zoom - immediately upwards toward 14,000 or more RPMs. i jumped to shut it off (But boy it sounded good going there) -- played with the idle knob (didn't know where it was set or if the guy had played with it) -- after several minutes and googling again -- and trying to reset the idle -- I hit the starter -- zoom up towards 12,000 -- well, I cut it off on the way off the tachometer -- some more tinkering and tried again -- still zooming up to higher revvs.

(I did wonder if when the scorpion muffler was added that it needed new jets for that and doesn't have them yet) -- Any and all advice on where to start? Thanks.

I think I did a good job of getting everything sealed -- hoses, breathers to carbs, etc -- I haven't tried to check for leaks yet.f

Could I do a half-way clean with the carbs still on the bike -- taking the tops off and working down ( I drained the carbs today and sprayed them a bit on the bike) --

BUT I am guessing that TOMORROW - I need to take the carbs off and do a thorough cleaning -- but hoping one of you guys has a faster easier route to success --

I really would like to try riding this thing instead of pushing it around my garage making oil and gas spots. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
                    Last edited by bmwerman; 07-21-2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

• The bits that are liable to need cleaning are at the bottom of the carbs. Don't bother wasting your time trying to clean starting at the tops.

You might try backing the idle screw out until you can see a gap between the end of it and the throttle linkage, screw the adjuster back in until it just barely starts to move the linkage and try again. When you do, make sure the choke lever on the bars is pushed forward (off) and that the plungers are all the way in.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Chopped up the rear mudguard

Comment

• Fixed my exhaust leak and went out for a blast in the countryside.
                          My big Kat is running sweet,and OH the acceleration....Love it.
                          Tommorrow off on a charity ride.
                          And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Comment

• Did a 152 mile trip -- OKC - East of town - West I-40 - down to Chickasha

Second day the bike is running -- ugh, I lost the idle screw spring that holds it at same idle speed -- so no time to take it all off and put one on -- duct tape and hit the road. Oklahoma -- the wind blows 20+mph everyday -- usually north then south and so on -- today I went west and it was blowing at me from northwest -- then east -- not so bad -- back west and south -- it was in my face the whole way and I ran through some rain -- great fun to do the wind tunnel/funnel test and rain test on second day of riding - stock dunlops are just tires - I usually like avons on my BMW's - but just got this Kat and still reading to see what everyone recommends for just down the road riding.

Was gonna opt for a more countryside ride home but then saw the rain clouds ahead and got back on the turnpike -- 80 mph -- yep driving north and the wind had shifted back in my face and home -- SE OKC...but good news -- all that running hard and into the wind -- still got 42 mpg. Filled her up and ready to ride somewhere tomorrow -- a good day, indeed!

Comment

• Started to take it for a ride, noticed when it was warming up in the driveway that it was running rough. Thought nothing of it. Took it to the end of the block, still not running right. Figured it would clear up. Took about another 3 miles and it dies at a red light. Can't get it restarted. Pushed it to a parking lot. Got it restarted and it started idleing at 3K. Nursed it back home. Got back, and it was running fine. Gonna have to tear into it tomorrow.
                              "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

• super cleaned all the chain lube and rubber shreading off the swing arm and undertail from riding the dragon. changed the oil, serviced and tightenend the chain.
                                "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                                1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                                2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X