X

ITSSLOW's 1993 Katana 'fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ITSSLOW's 1993 Katana 'fighter

First, a little history on the bike. A buddy of mine bought the bike from another buddy 4-5 years ago for $1200 in running condition. Over the next few months he put a few hundred miles on it and we decided to do a tune up (air filter, plugs, oil change) on it because we didn't know the history of maintenance. After the tune up it had a misfire and he decided to put it back in the garage and we'd fix it in a few days. A few days turned into a few weeks, weeks into months, and well....months into years. Fast forward to summer 2010. We were in his garage working (and drinking) on his Trans Am and I jokingly say, "I'll give you $200 for the Kraptana" to which he replies, "get that ****ing thing out of my garage!". We both went to the ATM and about 30 minutes later I brought it home!

I really didn't touch the bike other than tinkering with it and seeing what was really there until the fall. I dug into the misfire and found out it was a cracked spark plug causing it. I'm 99% sure I remember dropping a plug a few years earlier when we did the tune up. LOL Drained the fuel, cleaned the carbs, replaced the plugs, put in a new battery, and it fired like 3rd crank! I was in business other than the fact it was November in Michigan.

This spring I started tinkering with the bike again and decided it was going to be a 'fighter. I love full fairing bikes but something about street fighters has always caught my eye. To me, this is the perfect bike for it. 1. I have like $400 wrapped up into the bike including plates and my parts to get it running. 2. The fairings are junk and the square headlight is hideous. Makes the bike look so dated. 3. It can be built fairly cheap and I already have a nice full fairing bike.

The bike looked like this the day my buddy and I picked it up. Funny thing is I drove his bike home because he didn't have his endorsement yet.

Horrid paint, missing mirror, non-working turn signals, bald tires, and running poor...

Ryan put on some mirrors, bar ends, clear turn signals, smoked windscreen and a spray on paint job with stuff he had laying around, and fixed a few electrical issues. Looked like this when I bought it...

Right now the bike looks like this. I tore off the front fairings and bottom cowling. Because the front turn signals wouldn't mount and somehow I lost the mirrors I mounted some stock stuff off a buddies 2005 CBR600RR. Yes, I know it looks worse but I just couldn't stand it collecting dust in the garage tore down.

My plans are to mix a bit of sport bike, a bit of chopper, and a bit of 50's/60's hot rod.

I want to paint the bike semi flat black, gloss black rims with red pinstripe, chop down the front fender, retain the rear seat/pegs, strip off all unneeded brackets/mounts/wiring, and mount up a cruiser style round head light. A long with a bunch of maintenance and small detail parts and custom touches. Was even thinking some hand laid pin striping like you see on t-buckets and such.

I plan on cutting the front fairings up and using just the top section like you see on the yellow bike pictures below. Then I want to cut the rear fairings like my VERY quick 'chop job off the rear fairings.

Updates will come all summer as I'm starting to stockpile parts but progress might be slow for a few months as I drive the bike almost everyday of the week.
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
    2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
    1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Got bored today and started cutting. Cut down the rear fairings, fixed my turn signal issue, and tossed on some satin black just for ****s and giggles. The bike is going to actually get painted semi flat/satin black but for now this will do. I have to take my front fairings to a buddy so he can fix the cracks on both of the upper fairings before I can cut those.

Next on the list is new tires, have the wheels powder coated with a red pinstripe, and a new chain and sprockets. The sprockets aren't too bad but the chain is worn out like a 50 year old prostitute. While its apart I figured just do it all.
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors

Comment

welcome to kr! thats quite a deal for 200 you did well. best to change chain and sprockets as a set to avoid uneven wear, check out the kr store for sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by joedan View Post
        welcome to kr! thats quite a deal for 200 you did well. best to change chain and sprockets as a set to avoid uneven wear, check out the kr store for sprockets.
        Yup! That's the best idea. I grew up racing motocross and its became a habbit for me to replace both sprockets and the chain all at once. I'm trying to find out right now what stock gearing and chain size is for a 1993 Katana 600. Right now I have 14/46. I want to see if that's stock or if not how close it is.

Comment

Got a little done over the weekend. I just couldn't have that stock headlight and bracket on there anymore. This is by no means perminant but will last me until winter when I can tear the bike completely apart and start fresh. Not the stuff that will be going on when it goes back together either. That's all piling up in my closet. Not the best work I've done but is a HUGE improvement so far. If you want to see what I'm actually capeable of then check out my CX's thread

Started Saturday morning like this....

Tore it apart...

Painted rim and cleaned the rotors way up. This is only made to last a few months. Prep work was done right but without pulling the tire I couldn't get every little nook and cranny. This winter the rims are getting painted along with my frame.

As it sits now. Tomorrow at work I'm planning on making some brackets to mount my gauges. I'm keeping my fuel gauge and speedo. Tach is kind of pointless on a bike that I don't race around.

It's actually an off road light. I have a CB750 head light and different turn signals that match my rears pretty good. Need to fab up some brackets for the headlight and signals.

I did a little trimming on the front fender too. I'm thinking I'll be cutting it down even more come winter though. Does look a lot better even with the little trimming I did IMO.

Comment

Looks good man. Keep uP the good work.

Comment

Front fender looks way better. Headlight wise I'd mount the current one right up against the forks. Small LED turn signals too.

Good job so far, and subscribed to see how this goes.
              "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

Looking like a good start. Looks like it is going down the same route as my build. I like it.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by 1FSTKAT View Post
                  Front fender looks way better. Headlight wise I'd mount the current one right up against the forks. Small LED turn signals too.

Good job so far, and subscribed to see how this goes.
                  That's exactly what will be happening. The other headlight is a lot deeper and will fill the gap better. The CB headlight will also be mounted using brackets that go around the forks. Currently I'm using the horn bracket. I think another reason it looks really weird now because there are no gauges.

The other turn signals I have are very close to my rears I have. I couldn't find the exact same ones but they are small, clear, LED signals.

Again, its all only for a few months. This winter the bike is being tore down and everything is being repainted, completely rewired, new rear fairings/subframe, etc.

Comment

I started to make some brackets for the gauges. I noticed I could make a new bracket real quick to raise the headlight up and back. Would take up all that space behind the light. Once I get the fuel and speedo permanently mounted I can get on that.

I'll make the actual brackets tomorrow at lunch. Today I just used some cardboard brackets and a quick one out of some thin aluminum I had laying around. It's nice having all the tools I need at Roush!

Comment

Got the gauges on today. There is a huge rats nest of wires behind the headlight right now. I have the tach on the bike because my speedo cable busted a few weeks ago and need something to judge my speed by. Eventually, I'll get around to ordering a cable and swapping it out for the speedo. After I get that on there I can go ahead and clean up the wiring.

I was going to make a new bracket for the headlight to get by for a few months until winter when I tear the bike down and swap to the fork mounted headlight brackets. I ended up bending the factory horn bracket and was surprised by how much it brought the light up and back. Might just leave it this way for the time being.

Before bending the bracket...

After bending the bracket...

You can really see the mess of wires

A bit cobbled compared to my R6 and CX650 but boy is it an improvement over running no fairings with the factory gauge cluster and headlight I've been running since April!!!!

Comment

Adjusted that headlight bracket a bit more. Looks pretty nice on there!

Comment

Money is tight all over

Comment

lookin good, i wish i had pics of what mine looked like before i started messin with it. I think it's come a long ways. It looked like what urs did when u initially tore it down, and now it looks like my avatar pic. Just keep going and don't stop till ur happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedizzle View Post
                              lookin good, i wish i had pics of what mine looked like before i started messin with it. I think it's come a long ways. It looked like what urs did when u initially tore it down, and now it looks like my avatar pic. Just keep going and don't stop till ur happy with it.
                              I won't be even close to happy with the bike until this winter. Right now its a 'fighter with all misc parts I have laying around. I'm creating a stock pile in the garage of parts and this winter the bike is being completely stripped. Engine repainted, frame painted, completely rewired, new gauges, and more. Won't even realize its the same bike it was this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X