X

Oil Filters, a look inside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesm113 View Post
    Anyone try out the oil filter adapter? Looks like a much better selection of filters are available with the adapter
    Not really needed. Plenty of high quality filters can be used without that.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      Not really needed. Plenty of high quality filters can be used without that.
      Right but the adapter AND the highly recommend PL14610 filter is $20 shipped whereas the Napa/Wix filters are $10 a piece...

Just curious if anyone's installed it and if it fits.

Comment

Let's see, $2 for the adapter + $18 for a filter or $10 for a filter that doesn't need an adapter. That's pretty easy math.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Let's see, $2 for the adapter + $18 for a filter or $10 for a filter that doesn't need an adapter. That's pretty easy math.

You said it, not me!

I've got an OEM Kawi sitting outside right now, wonder how it compares to the OEM Suzuki, I'm sure they all come from the same factory...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Not to mention.........why use a car filter on a motorcycle engine?

Purolator doesn't recommend them for bikes at all. For me, that's enough to not buy it and use it.

I just got off the phone with Purolator and was trying to find a sales distributor for their PureONE filters in the Toronto area...this is what their tech support advised me about their filters:

1) Purolator PureONE PL14610 oil filter is a automotive oil filter ONLY and is NOT tested OR recommended by them for motorcycle application. They stated that the type of filter paper used is not acceptable for motorcycle engines and also that they have too high a pressure drop.

2) Purolator PureONE ML16817 is their recommended ST1300 motorcycle filter, which thay stated is 96% efficient at 30 micron (They say this is a very respectable efficiency).

I wanted to post this as it seems disconcerting to me especially with so many people in these forums posting that they use a PureONE PL model car oil filter.

They also have different drainback valves and pressures for the bypass springs. Stick with a good quality MC filter. From Purolator themselves:

If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter.

Comment

$15 for the adapter, ~$5-6 for the filter depending if you go with the pureone or not

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL14610-PureONE-Filter-Pack/dp/B000E8V9RG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333750892&sr=8-1]$5.99[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-L14610-Classic-Filter-Pack/dp/B000C6KMAK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1333750892&sr=8-8]$4.71[/ame]

Comment

That may be what they're advertising but it's worth about $2. Either way, when you can get a motorcycle-specific filter for $10 or less why mess around?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That may be what they're advertising but it's worth about $2. Either way, when you can get a motorcycle-specific filter for $10 or less why mess around?
                  Am I the only one who doesnt understand this dude's desire to run a non MC filter?
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Because the first link on this very thread gives all the suzuki fitting filters poor grades and suggests using the adapter to get better performance by using the filters honda, yamaha and kawasaki bikes use
                    Last edited by jamesm113; 04-06-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• That's odd....plenty of people here have 100,000 KM on their Kats using Suzuki compatible filters. Seriously dood, just use an MC filter, they work fine.

Comment

• Keep in mind, that website isn't exactly describing a controlled, scientific test. It's like Wikipedia; opinion presented as fact. I've got a 20 year-old bike that's been running Emgo filters (for the most part) and is still going strong. I've seen 8 year-old Hondas with (according to that website) superior filtration have absolutely trashed camshafts. There's all kinds of VW Bugs out there with the original, un-rebuilt engines and no oil filter at all still running fine. The key seems to be nothing more cosmic than changing your oil regularly.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• I'd worry about the filters designed for cars not having glue capable of handling the heat of an oil cooled MC motor.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

• Great write-up guys, I love this kinda stuff. I work at a parts store and when people request Fram I generally tell them I'll pull 20 cents out of my pocket to cover the difference for a Purolator because "I wouldn't put that crap on a tractor!" It's good to actually see all the things I've only heard about Fram. Only Genuine Suzuki or NAPA for me, thank you!
                            sigpic
                            "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
                            "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

• Does Suzuki make their own filters or do they have them made for them? I bought a bunch of Suzuki Filters from Cyber and they were made in China. If Suzuki made them wouldn't they be MIJ? The tins on one of them had what looked like hole punch sized perforations in it, but not all the way through...indents I guess would be a better word. I used it anyway, started the bike, rev'd it up to 4 or 5 grand and the filter ****ed oil everywhere, then continued to leak until I changed the filter, lol. The other filters were good though.
                              - Pat Elliott - 05 GSX750F -

Comment

• Where do you guys get the purolator filters?

Comment

Working...
                                X