X

Oil Filters, a look inside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcwren View Post
    White-Rodgers used to (any likely still does) do this with their water heaters. You could buy the more expensive one marketed under their "Pro" series, or their cheaper one, under the "value line" series. Same heater, same dip tubes, same thermostat, same anode rods. Rather than incurring the cost of actually manufacturing two different heaters, you make one, which costs less. Then you slap a more expensive label on one (the PS1359 for NAPA), and the cheaper label on the other one (1359). Print some different literature for each (cheap!), and you're done. Your high-end "informed buyer" buys the "better" heater/oil filter and feels good for having bought a "better" quality product, your cheap person buys the "value line" heater/oil filter and feels good for having "saved" money, and White-Rodgers/NAPA laughs all the way to the bank.

Nonetheless, after the next oil change, I'll be cutting up that filter
    which filter are you cuttin up?

Comment

UPON FURTHER REVIEW

We have discovered that for the Kat application the following filters are completely IDENTICAL;

Napa Gold 1359

Napa Powersport PS1359

WIX 51359

Micron ratings, flow rates, casings all identical, aside from the Napa Gold being white whereas the Wix and NPS are black. For a couple bucks, I'll deal with a white filter...

Granted, they are all made by WIX with virtually the same part number, but I was led to believe that the powersports were valved differently. Not in the case of this particular filter. Other filters may be different, but right now I'm not spending the time to double check every single one. If you have an app you would like me to look up, I'll do it for you but I am not going to list them all individually.
      Last edited by teddy; 07-13-2010, 09:50 PM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Ted, do you have a NAPA application for the ZZR? When you say it's valved, are you talking about the spring in the filter that is supposed to help hold oil in the filter and prevent a drain back of oil out of the filter so you have oil at start-up?

Comment

1358 for the ZZR, dad. The valve is an anti drain back valve, and it also has a bypass valve for if the filter somehow gets clogged it will still allow oil flow back into the engine.

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Shows true quality and those that are junk, thank you for doing this

Comment

+1! Many thanks for this insight. FWIW, I have used both HiFlo (AU$22) and Vesrah (AU$20) filters over several years with no apparent problems - although I haven't pulled them apart. (K&Ns are about AU$30 - US$26 - parts here are way expensive!) Just ordered a bunch of K&Ns from the US so I hope you show them to be worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                +1! Many thanks for this insight. FWIW, I have used both HiFlo (AU$22) and Vesrah (AU$20) filters over several years with no apparent problems - although I haven't pulled them apart. (K&Ns are about AU$30 - US$26 - parts here are way expensive!) Just ordered a bunch of K&Ns from the US so I hope you show them to be worthwhile.
                From what most can tell, a K&N is the exact same filter as the hi-flo, with a nut welded to the end of the can.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                  From what most can tell, a K&N is the exact same filter as the hi-flo, with a nut welded to the end of the can.
                  The guy at the store where I source the HiFlos told me exactly that. However, the brief www research I did has them being made in different countries, and they claim slightly different "advantages" and construction. Could be sales double speak???

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                    Could be sales double speak???
                    Most likely, considering my co-workers from napa insisted the powersport filters were different, when they are the same as the wix and standard napa gold...
                    Last edited by teddy; 07-13-2010, 09:51 PM.

Comment

I've got a filter cutter coming from my filter rep on monday to slice open the PS1359 I had on the bike for 'after' pictures....stay tuned...

Comment

Oh cool! That way you can look for the metal shavings
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

OK, here are the 'after' pics of the NAPA PS1359 filter I've had on my bike for better than 6K miles. I skip every other oil change on the filter like the book says. From what I saw of the guts of this, I probably could have gone a third....

First off, all of the innards; drainback valve, bypass valve, filter base and retaining spring are in just as good of shape as the new filter I cut up a while back, just covered in oil. The outer can is still harder than all hell to cut, even with the fancy cutter my rep let me use. The filter element itself is outstanding. No signs of deteriation (sp?) whatsoever. All pleats are completely intact, and show no obvious signs of failure...no rips, tears, holes or anything else out of the sort. I'll let the pics do the talking, please excuse their quality.

In case anyone is curious, both oil changes were done with Mobil1 Racing 4T...and the bike wasn't exactly babied either...
                          Attached Files

Comment

anyone ever get a K&N cut open? They are as low as $11 on ebay...is it worth the couple extra bucks?
                            ROLL TIDE!

Comment

I will chop open a AMS Oil 109 next change and a K&N as I have each on bikes and will post pics of both.

I'm now also curious of what I'll find!
                              Busa build https://picasaweb.google.com/warezdo...eat=directlink

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                                Originally posted by abailey362 View Post
                                anyone ever get a K&N cut open? They are as low as $11 on ebay...is it worth the couple extra bucks?
                                :repost
                                -Steve

sigpic
                                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X