X
X

Oil Filters, a look inside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently have a k&n on my bike now, but the d bag i bought it from didnt maintain the bike like he said bc the oil was terrible( I have changed oil in cars that haven't had and oil change in 6-7 months and it looked worse than that). So when i put the bike up for the winter i will cut apart the filter. I have also used mobil 1 4t syn. But with all the stuff writen i might go with the ps1359 next, but who knows how this filter will look.( you could prob see that anyone that would paint their bike glow in the dark white and blue isn't genis and would not change the oil when they need to.) Also so I dont look like an idiot i did change the oil right after i got it.lol
    sigpic
    97 kat 600

O' yeah that's custom paint!

Comment

I realize this is an older post but I think its definatley good info. I've always put Frams on my cars and trucks, but I'm thinking twice now.

Just a thought here....has anyone cut up a used Fram oil filter? You can't argue that they appear to be sub-par compared to the other filters, but is possible the other filters are "overbuilt" so to speak and there is no need for the heavier construction? I probably am not going to chance it myself, I'm just curious to see.
      89 Katana 750
      06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

A frame is the first filter Peter cut up

The problem isn't that other filters are "over designed" it's that the fram filters are garbage.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
          A frame is the first filter Peter cut up

The problem isn't that other filters are "over designed" it's that the fram filters are garbage.
          I think he cut up a new fram, I was curious to see what a used fram looked like, see if the glue let go. Just happens I just did my 1st oil change to my 89 GSX750 and what do ya know, it had a fram filter on it. I posted a couple of pics below. Let it be noted that I have no idea how long this filter was on, but I can say the oil I drained looked pretty old.
          The little rubber o-ring that is torn was actually sticking out on of the smaller inside holes in the filter when I 1st took it off. Other then that it seems the Fram at least held up. The glue was still holding the element together. The paper was damaged while I was cutting open the filter, it was ok when I 1st peeked inside. The bypass valve seems to be functional. Just not sure where the oring came from.

Like I said before, I don't think I will use a Fram myself, but I thought it would at least be useful to know what a used one looked like.

CIMG2370

CIMG2368
          Last edited by Malarky112; 09-23-2010, 08:29 PM. Reason: Photo correction
          89 Katana 750
          06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Cardboard end caps on the filter element??? I wouldn't put any filter that had such crap on anything I own. After using only genuine Suzuki filters I put on a PS1359. Changed the oil last spring and still have the old PS 1359 laying around to be cut apart. I don't like the fact that the PS1359 canister is smaller than the Suzuki filter. I've cut apart two Napa Gold ( Wix) car oil filters and they seem well built.

Comment

I just got a good deal on emgo filters , I am going to open them up once i use them and take some pictures , anyway I found another filter, if someone want to try ?
              Bike Master 314-0025
              Discover top-quality powersports aftermarket parts, accessories, and apparel at Tucker Powersports. Shop now for replacement parts, gear, and equipment.

it seem to be a good filter according to the manufacture , if anyone wants to try
              Last edited by SirPaulGerman; 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM.

Comment

So after re-reading this thread I'm noticing I don't see any small rubber o-rings in the other filter pics. I'm starting to wonder if the one I found in mine came from my motor somewhere!?!?! It was stuck in one of the the "in" holes of the filter
                89 Katana 750
                06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Anyone try the adapter idea... On the first page of this thread Wild-Bill posted a link and that page mentions an adapter to put a different type of filter on. Seems like a cheap way to pamper the Kat and the best rated filters on that site are $6. Maybe it's overkill but I'm almost at 50k and plan on takin it a lot more...
                  95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                  Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                  ---
                  I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

nice..

nice write up..

Comment

I was still waiting on the K&N filter teardown...
                      Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
                        I was still waiting on the K&N filter teardown...

Yeah! thanks for reminding me. I ran one last year and will obviously change it this year. So stay tuned..

Comment

Petey, you have the day off or something? You're all over the place today!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

May I remind you I have the power to ban?!?!

It's been kinda quiet at work today.

Comment

figured ppl may like to see some numbers! my professor at uw-milwaukee set me onto this research done by another professor at msoe (milwaukee school of engineering)

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

Good work guys!

Comment

I keep reading how the Purolator PureONE PL14610 is an awesome filter (it gets great marks on both oil filter surveys linked so far) and is currently available on Amazon for $5. However, I hit a link that lead me to this information on Purolator's website:

"If you're thinking you want to install a PureONE oil filter on your bike, please think again. PureONE oil filters are designed for vehicles, not bikes. Because of PureONE's high efficiency, the motorcycle oil pump may not be able to handle the pressure. The Purolator motorcycle filter line is designed to meet the specific needs of a bike; therefore we highly recommend the use of a Purolator ML filter over a PureONE oil filter." http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/...lefilters.aspx

Any thoughts on that adapter which allows you to use non-Suzuki filters?

http://balestech.com/filter.htm.

Comment

Working...
                                X