X

Oil Filters, a look inside

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
    so is someone suggesting that we buy those cool looking metal cleanable and reusable oil filters?
    who makes those?

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
      so is someone suggesting that we buy those cool looking metal cleanable and reusable oil filters?
      NO. Anything that can be cleaned, has holes big enough to let debris through.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        NO. Anything that can be cleaned, has holes big enough to let debris through.
        how come dirtbikes have cleanable air filters then?

Comment

An air filter is not equal to an oil filter.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by phroziac View Post
            who makes those?
            it was a link in the 1st post of this thread.... the last link i believe
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
              I run a magnet on the outside of mine
              Opened the first one to check and nearly cut my finger off in the process
              Still use the magnet, but dont look anymore
              Is it ok to run magnets on all filters? Are all the over pressure bypass valves rubber ? I'm thinking twice about a magnet on my filter because the magnet may cause metal flakes to build up under the bypass valve seal. It could hold it open with a magnet or hold it closed. But I'm not a expert. Just a guess?
              I'm putting a magnet on my drain plug for sure.
              Last edited by katanarider; 06-03-2010, 01:27 PM.
              My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                Is it ok to run magnets on all filters? Are all the over pressure bypass valves rubber ? I'm thinking twice about a magnet on my filter because the magnet may cause metal flakes to build up under the bypass valve seal causing the filter not to work properly.
                I'm putting a magnet on my drain plug for sure.
                I put one on mine, only because Fumoto valves don't have a magnet on them.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I don't like the possibility of having a magnet escaping where I installed it and getting gobbled up in the crank.

I would put a magnet on the filter, but leave out the idea of somehow getting one in the engine. The factory magnets on most applications are somehow crimped in place by a tab or something so they absolutely cannot escape where they are installed. If you could purchase a drain plug with a magnet that was the right size, I think that would be a good idea, I just don't like the idea of a D.I.Y. route.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                    I don't like the possibility of having a magnet escaping where I installed it and getting gobbled up in the crank.

I would put a magnet on the filter, but leave out the idea of somehow getting one in the engine. The factory magnets on most applications are somehow crimped in place by a tab or something so they absolutely cannot escape where they are installed. If you could purchase a drain plug with a magnet that was the right size, I think that would be a good idea, I just don't like the idea of a D.I.Y. route.
                    Naw man,
                    I have a magnet on the outside of the drain plug (lol)... hell no dont put one on the inside of the engine ! Another good thing about it is since the drain plug is so close to the ground it is said that magnets trigger those long waitting stop lights.
                    Another thing, I dont have a factory drain plug. The previous owner stripped the threads and had to rethread the oil pan. Now I have a car sized drain plug. I have no idea if the factory ones came with magnets or not ?
                    Last edited by katanarider; 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM.
                    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

In regards to the NAPA PS1359 and 1359 filters, I'm told by a NAPA filter representative that they are identical. NAPA has a number of filters that are physically the same, but with different numbers. I just picked up 5 1359 filters for $4.69/ea.

Feel free to disagree with what the representative said, I'm just repeating it. I have not cut up one of each of the filters to see if that's actually the case. OTOH, I have no reason to disbelieve him, and I know a great number of companies who have multiple numbers for the same offering for different price tiers.

Comment

Originally posted by jcwren View Post
                        In regards to the NAPA PS1359 and 1359 filters, I'm told by a NAPA filter representative that they are identical. NAPA has a number of filters that are physically the same, but with different numbers. I just picked up 5 1359 filters for $4.69/ea.

Feel free to disagree with what the representative said, I'm just repeating it. I have not cut up one of each of the filters to see if that's actually the case. OTOH, I have no reason to disbelieve him, and I know a great number of companies who have multiple numbers for the same offering for different price tiers.
                        Man, I'd take one apart after you change your oil, so its dirty...see if it's fallen apart or not. If its not, atleast the excessive engine heat of the kat isnt burning up the glues that may be used... That's honestly the only thing i'd worry about.

I have a hard time believing that they're "the same" if they are different price tiers. If they were the same prices i'd buy that. Obviously *SOMETHING* is different for them to cost more. Such as....filter media quality, material, .....

Infact if you go to walmart and run your make/model/year into their cross reference computer, you'll find 2 or 3 fram filters that fit...for a car atleast. With different prices. For example, one is a high milage filter that claims to have time-released oil additives in it....lol.

In the sense that he has more than one that fit the same vehicles, yeah, of course he does. But with the cut throat competition these guys have, do you really think they'd get away with charging excessively for the same filter, from the same brand, without excess marketing (such as Fram High Milage products)? Hell no. You either do something better or you have a gimmick or a name that make it seem that way.

As far as cut throat competition, one time when i didnt have much money i put a $3 oil filter in my car. How the hell do they profit off that?

Comment

Originally posted by jcwren View Post

I would have no problem running a NAPA gold line 1359, they are a high quality filter any way you look at it.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

White-Rodgers used to (any likely still does) do this with their water heaters. You could buy the more expensive one marketed under their "Pro" series, or their cheaper one, under the "value line" series. Same heater, same dip tubes, same thermostat, same anode rods. Rather than incurring the cost of actually manufacturing two different heaters, you make one, which costs less. Then you slap a more expensive label on one (the PS1359 for NAPA), and the cheaper label on the other one (1359). Print some different literature for each (cheap!), and you're done. Your high-end "informed buyer" buys the "better" heater/oil filter and feels good for having bought a "better" quality product, your cheap person buys the "value line" heater/oil filter and feels good for having "saved" money, and White-Rodgers/NAPA laughs all the way to the bank.

Nonetheless, after the next oil change, I'll be cutting up that filter

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                              I would have no problem running a NAPA gold line 1359, they are a high quality filter any way you look at it.
                              Is WIX still making those?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                                Is WIX still making those?

Tmod
                                yessir, right down in Gastonia, NC....

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Working...
                                X