X

Pictorial Steps.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictorial Steps.

I'd say how about starting some posts with a step for step description and depiction on each stage.

We can start with the top 10 contenders, for example.

This is an example only.

- Oil change.
    - Sparks plugs.
    - Valves Clearance.
    - Carb synch.
    - Transmission chain adjustment.
    - Tranny chain replacement.
    - Break pads replacement.
    - Breaks hydraulics change.

and whatever others come to mind.

Say I start with the oil change, as an example:
    1- Show the tools needed. this, this and that. pic.
    2.- Place bike on centerstand or equivalent. Pic?
    3.- Place oil catching containers. Pic.
    4.- Open oil compartment on side fairing and remove oil cap. Pic.
    5.- Remove oil plug in oil pan. Oil drains into receptacle. Pic.
    6.- Remove Oil filter, drain carefully into container. Pic.
    7.- Wait X amount of minutes for old oil to drain out. Pic.
    8.- Reverse steps as follows.
    9.- Replace oil filter making sure you coat rubber seal with new oil. Pic.
    10.- Replace oil pan plug. Pic.
    11.- Replenish with new oil, X weight, X amount. Pic.
    12.- Replace oil cap, replace oil compartment thingy on fairing.

This is a very rough example, as we know, we have torque settings to take into consideration and our manuals guides us through that.

This, done little by little could become very helpful for people like myself that every screw I touch I strip, brake or loose in the engine compartment and although some topics will be far more complex, the simplicity of the step by step approach will greatly simplify and supplement our manuals.

I almost $hiit the other day when I finally got the valve cover off but could not remove it because of the throttle cables being in the way, some of you would have thought not a brainer, do this and that and that's all but when I looked at the procedure for removing the cables, it had three little tools icons on my Haynes manual meaning appropriate for knowledgeable mechanic and with a lump on my throat I had to call it quits,,, then CyperP kindly added that all you have to do is displace them to the side with the carbs... anyways, just a thought I wanted to post under How-to's but it didn't let me.
    2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
    2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
    2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

A lot of this stuff is already on my website here (including step-by-step pics):
    motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by 2000kat600 View Post
      We can start with the top 10 contenders, for example.

- Oil change.
      - Sparks plugs.
      - Valves Clearance.
      - Carb synch.
      - Transmission chain adjustment.
      - Tranny chain replacement.
      - Break pads replacement.
      - Breaks hydraulics change.
      First off I'm pretty sure this has been done. (well I'm 100% sure that 4 of them have been done) So what you really need is a lesson in searching?

Second, never suggest something you are not willing to do your self. Start not by making a list but by posting the step by step (with pictures) of your choice. This puts your "money where your mouth is".

Third, I have written how-tos... But at the same time if you can't follow the manual on the above repairs/maintenance tasks, you ought not be working on your bike.

Fourth, It's called the Drive chain not Tranny Chain and they are your brakes. Not your breaks.

Comment

True

Comment

Thanx again Cyberpoet, I will look into that other website as well.

BlackPete.- Thanx to you too? I'm not quite sure my friend, at least you've taken the time to respond although I wish you didn't in this case.

-Your "first of" doesn't cover all and believe me, I've searched, obviously not getting the data sought after.

-Your "second" is uncalled for, who told you that I wasn't gonna participate in my limited knowledge? I got the oil changes down pretty good and as clearly indicated as AN EXAMPLE, I was posting an example.... !?!?!?

-Your "third" is simply another low blow at me for not being mechanically proficient or whatever other hating reasons. That was the whole point of suggesting such a list. Sorry for living, man.

-Your "fourth" a combo on my part by wrongly naming items and typos, more ammo for you to bash me. Thanx again.

Arsenic1016.- Have a nice day.

--------------------------------------

I'll try again later.
          2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
          2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
          2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
          2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Comment

you know, I had posted something originally that got deleted. I said if you want step by step pictorial instructions, pay me and I'll make them for you. Or buy a manual, thats what they are for.

Comment

I think the way you phrased your post turned a lot of people off....

I would suggest perhaps that you volunteer to collect the threads in question, or search down internet how-to's on the topics.

It sounds to me like you genuinely want to create a resource the benefits everyone, but realize the way you worded it could have been a little different.

BP was merely trying to point out in his own way that a lot of the topics involved are already covered in places on this site.

If you want to create the type of thread I mentioned above... I say go for it, it'll be a great reference.

We *do* have a newbie thread that The CyberPort and Gytrdunkat put together.... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61328

And to the others... he's not a newb here... he joined over a year ago.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic1016 View Post
                you know, I had posted something originally that got deleted. I said if you want step by step pictorial instructions, pay me and I'll make them for you. Or buy a manual, thats what they are for.
                Oh yeah it did!

Look 2000kat600, I don't apologize for being better than other people.
                (And despite what you think now, I don't try and prove it every chance I get) I also have been known to cut a newbie a lot of slack. However your post displayed a lot of laziness.. I made a very similar post over 2 years ago but my post was more along the lines of:
                "Wouldn't it be good if there were threads that collected all the information about a certain subject and put them in one place? I'll work on rear shocks and exhausts.." I went on to suggest other ideas too. Well I did just that.
                A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

It took some time searching the board and gathering all the links and info but I did it (I was the only one) I went farther and edited the posts when the site changed (that changed the links, I'm still not finished but its pretty good) I have also just gone ahead (like many hard working members) and written "how to"s I thought would be cool having lots of pictures for.
                Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

My point is that you have a good idea. But my experiance tells me there are two kinds of "idea" people here. Those that come up with ideas and expect others to do them and those that have good ideas and do them.
                All you had to say is "I'll get started on 'oil changes' and post it up as soon as I can". Then you would have been a leader. I would have replied with the link to my brake fluid how-to..

Your post as it stood was just another newbie wishing everything here was like google.. 90% of the work here is done by 10% of the members.
                We 10% ers have lives, jobs and need to take potty breaks. Yet so often it seems like the newbies still want more. I'll tell you this with confidence;
                If all the newbies followed through by doing their good ideas instead of just wishing one of us would do it this site would be like google, every answer there and well ordered with pictures and all. It isn't.. and that is a shame.. So instead of getting your panties in a bunch over me cutting you to the bone, step up and do your part in making this site what you think it should be. That's what us 10%ers are doing...

I don't think I made any low blows.. I'll stand by the statement that if you can't follow the book you ought not be doing the work described in it. Who said this?:
                every screw I touch I strip, brake or loose in the engine compartment
                I wasn't even implying you shouldn't be working on your bike. I was using the general "you"...

Comment

I agree Steve. I think it would be a great resource, but I've already done a lot of how-to's that you can't find any were else. Like using 98+ carbs on a pre 98, good luck finding a how-to on that unless you figure it out yourself. I'm not doing step by step instructions with pictures for free, not gonna happen. You take your stuff to a mechanic and pay a set rate hourly cost to get the stuff done he wants me to do for free. NO.

Comment

EDIT:
                    My little rant took so long Steve beat me to the post!

However Steve: Newbie is as Newbie does...

Comment

You take your stuff to a mechanic and pay a set rate hourly cost to get the stuff done he wants me to do for free. NO.
                      Not exactly the same thing now is it.

I was going to say anything about it but your carb how to is wrong anyways.

"The pre 98 600 carbs (well 90-97) have 2 fuel lines coming off the petcock, and 2 fuel lines at the carbs. The 98+ petcock and 600 carbs have 1 fuel line. So unless you want to use the pre 98 600 petcock and "T" the 2 fuel lines into 1 you need the 98+ petcock as well."

This statement is false. the 88 600 petcock has only 1 fuel line. So until your "how-to's" are entirely accurate, you probably shouldn't try to charge for it anyways.

We all know that we occasionally get tired of answering the same questions over and over from different newbies that either just got a kat or are just new to the site, but seriously cut the guy some slack.

2000Kat600, not sure about the how-to's you listed as I have not searched for them myself. I'm guessing that just about every item has been discussed and/or entered in as a how to. perhaps your searching needs a bit more work. Black peter is a bit of a searching expert. he may be able to give you a tip or 2

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

everyone was a noob at one time, even you black pete and steves, thats like picking fun at a little kid for being a little kid
                        06' Zuki Katana 750
                        Vance and Hines Slip-On

Comment

Originally posted by GabeC View Post
                          everyone was a noob at one time, even you black pete and steves, thats like picking fun at a little kid for being a little kid
                          I always laugh at kids when they have snot running out of their nose.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
                            Not exactly the same thing now is it.

I was going to say anything about it but your carb how to is wrong anyways.

"The pre 98 600 carbs (well 90-97) have 2 fuel lines coming off the petcock, and 2 fuel lines at the carbs. The 98+ petcock and 600 carbs have 1 fuel line. So unless you want to use the pre 98 600 petcock and "T" the 2 fuel lines into 1 you need the 98+ petcock as well."

This statement is false. the 88 600 petcock has only 1 fuel line. So until your "how-to's" are entirely accurate, you probably shouldn't try to charge for it anyways.

We all know that we occasionally get tired of answering the same questions over and over from different newbies that either just got a kat or are just new to the site, but seriously cut the guy some slack.

2000Kat600, not sure about the how-to's you listed as I have not searched for them myself. I'm guessing that just about every item has been discussed and/or entered in as a how to. perhaps your searching needs a bit more work. Black peter is a bit of a searching expert. he may be able to give you a tip or 2
                            Thats why I said 90-97, I know the 88-89 petcock only has 1. So you sure you want to tell me my how-to's aren't accurate Joe? BTW I'm awesome
                            Last edited by arsenic; 12-17-2007, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thats why I said 90-97, I know the 88-89 petcock only has 1.
                              thats funny... I didn't even notice that when I was reading that. Sorry Chris, My bad.

you should change this though in your how to:

"Use the pre 98 wiring harness along with the pre 98 handle bar switch and use just 1 throttle cable. Just leave the TPS unplugged, you do not need it."

if the swap is being done on an 88 you will need to change the handle bar switch pod. the choke on the 88 does not have a cable, so you will need to add a pod that does.

so yes, I will tell you it is not entirely accurate.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X