Reaching top speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
    Here is the low down on the K&Ns.

-On a post Kat (98+) they can work but usually (note usually) involve either a lot of work or a lot of frustration. Some people get lucky out of the box, but most spend weeks/months trying to get it right and can't
    -The stock air filter is the best. Stick with it. If you get a gain it will not be worth it.
    -I believe this rule isn't as much a concern on pre Kats.
    No, they suck for Pre as well...

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by HexKrak View Post
      Also not to be offensive, but how much do you weigh? If you're up above 275 that might be part of the reason also.
      275lbs should be no problem for a Kat 600. Mine pulls past 100 easily when passing cars riding 2up with a combined weight of around 320lbs, and that's with me sitting straight up catching all the wind. I'm guessing possibly something to do with the K&N also, but it should still top 100mph shortly after shifting into 4th gear.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wyzat520 View Post
        so 6th and 6000 rpm is 60? Just curious because mines been regeared and I have no idea to tell how fast Im actually going is this and honest rule of thumb for the kats?

I just bought my bike so I can not confirm stock gearing. But this is how mine (1992 1100) is in 3rd. 100rpm per 1mph. Confirmed with GPS.
        92 1100 Kat

Comment

Helllz yeah!

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Per my speedo on my pre 750 before my sprocket changes (checked frequently to be with in 2+- by the radar signs on the interstate here).....

1st gear hitting rev limit 60mph
          2nd gear hitting rev limit 90mph
          3rd gear hitting rev limit 115
          4th gear hitting rev limit 140
          5th gear no where near rev limit 155 but that my friend was the fastest, and last time I hit anywhere near that speed.... the tunnel vision effect was just damn scary.

Krey
          Yeah Krey I used my GPS for My top speed and had to stop looking at 150 to see far enough ahead in time. Cant say the bike liked it all too much either. But man whatta ride!

Originally posted by Shipster View Post
          Hey Joker, if it is the air filter is there something I can do with it (blow it out with an airhose, clean it, etc.)? Also, I read somewhere on here that the K&Ns are supposed to take some kind of oil. Do you know anything about that?
          To be honest I just swapped it and called it a day!

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          15/50 is my current setup, having added 3 to the rear. This dropped my top speeds a little.. to about 55ish in 1st, 80ish in 2nd... if I remember correctly.

Krey
          Hey Krey, How much did this help your bottom end out. @ 14\47 I can Torqe up the front end but its more work then Id like. Im willing to sacrifice a lil top end to get a lil more on the bottom. think it would help?
          Last edited by JokerZwild; 05-27-2009, 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I appreciate all the comments and help. The bike still has the stock gears on it. I have all the paperwork from the original owner, and he didn't do anything to the bike himself, but had the dealership do it all. The Yoshi exhaust, the jet kit, and the K&N filter were all done by them, and nothing in the paperwork shows anything about the gears being changed. The bike does accelerate fine, even getting to 100, but once there it seems to hold or barely creep up past that. I'm going to take it out again soon and try it again, but I am wondering about the filter. I read about the filters needing oil or something, so based on the negative comments about K&Ns, I may go ahead and swap it out for stock as I have not put any oil on the filter. Hopefully that is all it is. I do recall getting the bike up past 100 last year, but that was only briefly due to my lack or riding experience. However, I don't remember it having problems like this. Maybe the filter is just dirty or something. Thanks again for all the advice, and if anyone can think of anything else, please feel free to let me know.
            "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

oil your filter?

the whole oil thing has me miffed! why would you want your engine to ingest oil soaked air? Id imagin any liquid thats saturated in the foam would only cause you MORE restriction. Just doesnt make sense to me.
              Joker
              sigpic

Comment

So is that something that is supposed to happen with K&Ns (not that it makes sense), or did I hear it wrong and it doesn't get oiled. In other words, is it my mistake to think that or is that what they recommend?
                "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

The guy I got the bike from bought it new and didn't do anything to it except a Yoshi exhaust, jet kit and k&n air filter. I wasn't sure if I should be winding out the other gears before changing to 6th.
                  drop the K&N yes they can be used if done properly.. but you can also have flat spots on your top end from not having the right fuel/air deliverance.

Comment

I believe the oil on the filter is used to help catch foreign particles better (it's sticky).

As stated, replace the K&N with the stock filter, and you will be blasting past 120 with no problems.
                    Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmetal View Post
                      I believe the oil on the filter is used to help catch foreign particles better (it's sticky).

As stated, replace the K&N with the stock filter, and you will be blasting past 120 with no problems.
                      ahhh very interesting!! guess that would be great if you are out dirt tracking it. But were all pretty much in agreement you should trash the K&N. and save the agg! Good Luck
                      Joker
                      sigpic

Comment

So to be clear (even though I feel like I am sounding retarded), just remove the K&N filter and drop in a stock one? Nothing else needs to be messed with? I have changed NUMEROUS filters on cars, but don't know much about bikes so I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm not a re-re, I just like to be sure about things.

sigpic

Comment

So to be clear (even though I feel like I am sounding retarded), just remove the K&N filter and drop in a stock one? Nothing else needs to be messed with? I have changed NUMEROUS filters on cars, but don't know much about bikes so I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm not a re-re, I just like to be sure about things.

LOL yeah bro ...nuttin to it! Open the air box. It should have a large band clamp (hose clamp) around the mouth of the filter. Loosen it pull the old one and reverse the steps to reinstall the stocker. Its very cut n dry.
                          Joker
                          sigpic

Comment

I pick up another 10-25 kmh overall when im toping the bike out by just making sure im tucked waaay down as far as possible---just a thought.

Comment

yeah funny how fast you can decel using yourself as an air brake!
                              Joker
                              sigpic

Comment

POSSIBLE you may need to tweak jetting .
                                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                                X