No announcement yet.
X

Reaching top speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep your fingers crossed! And try only one thing at a time so you know whats effective and what isnt. If you do 3 things at once and it runs like crap you have to go thru all your work to trouble shoot what went wrong all over again!
    Last edited by JokerZwild; 05-28-2009, 02:24 AM.
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I have the pit pass, which covers my basic service stuff at certain mileage points. The next one is either at 7400 or 7500 (I'm almost to 7000 miles, so it is coming up quick), which supposedly covers a lot of checks. Any idea if that is that something they might check on?
      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wyzat520 View Post
        so 6th and 6000 rpm is 60? Just curious because mines been regeared and I have no idea to tell how fast Im actually going is this and honest rule of thumb for the kats?
        for a stock kat, the RPM's in 4th gear can be used to easily determine your speed. it's not precise, but very close. like i said, in 4th gear, 40mph is 4000rpm, 45-4500rpm, 50-5000rpm etc.... all i have is a slip on. now any serious mods may alter this as they will affect the power required to reach a certain speed. sprockets alter this the most.
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

if you havent got it pegged by then im sure they will peek at it for you if you mention it.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Per my speedo on my pre 750 before my sprocket changes (checked frequently to be with in 2+- by the radar signs on the interstate here).....

1st gear hitting rev limit 60mph
            2nd gear hitting rev limit 90mph
            3rd gear hitting rev limit 115
            4th gear hitting rev limit 140
            5th gear no where near rev limit 155 but that my friend was the fastest, and last time I hit anywhere near that speed.... the tunnel vision effect was just damn scary.

Krey
            Nuh Uhh.... its fun.... kind of like ... well... erm.. : ... riding through a tunnel I've done 165 on a k6 gsxr 1000 (actual, i was going to top it out, but that kind of speed eats road fast .... definitely different ..

I took the kat to 145 (indicated) or so before, as far as running the gears out, this is usually true for the 5th of 6th gears. Thinking logically, running 5th through the powerband will put your rpm closer to the powerband after the shift to 6th gear, as your speed will be much higher, as far as making it go faster OVERALL ... no it wont, but you wont be waiting 2 days for 6th gear to wind out. To me it sounds like its hit a deadspot in your topend, i would guess the jetting, my next guess would be that if it was dyno'd halfway or incorrectly to adjust jetting. The K&N isnt helping matters either. Probably running extremely rich up top if I had to guess
            Currently Riding:
            1995 Katana 600
            V&H Exhaust
            Jet Kit

SOLD
            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
            1987 XV700 Bobber
            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

As mentioned earlier, the oil on the K&N is there to help catch "dirt". The cleaning interval for K&Ns are so long because it actually works better the dirtier it gets. And by work better I mean that it serves its purpose as an air filter better. Most cars, and probably other bikes, likely see a benefit from a higher air flow filter - just not the Kat. However, even in those other applications you are likely still ingesting more dust/dirt into the engine just for that couple hp increase. Take a search for a thread about K&N filters by HardlyDangerous.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                Hey Krey, How much did this help your bottom end out. @ 14\47 I can Torqe up the front end but its more work then Id like. Im willing to sacrifice a lil top end to get a lil more on the bottom. think it would help?
                It's enough of a difference that it could get you in trouble if your not used to it. Fast shift into 2nd on cold tire means tire spins pretty badly.....

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                Nuh Uhh.... its fun.... kind of like ... well... erm.. : ... riding through a tunnel I've done 165 on a k6 gsxr 1000 (actual, i was going to top it out, but that kind of speed eats road fast .... definitely different ..
                I'd do it again on a track... never on a street road like that again for sure... Even with no other traffic on the road, it was still pretty stupid on my part. Good friend and regular co rider tried the same thing, and poked his head up at 140.... lost his face sheild that night.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  It's enough of a difference that it could get you in trouble if your not used to it. Fast shift into 2nd on cold tire means tire spins pretty badly.....

I'd do it again on a track... never on a street road like that again for sure... Even with no other traffic on the road, it was still pretty stupid on my part. Good friend and regular co rider tried the same thing, and poked his head up at 140.... lost his face sheild that night.

Krey
                  Sorry for the thread hijack OP.

Yeh... I hadn't been on any of the "BIG" gsxr's (post FI) and I just HAD to see what it had.... needless to say, it had more then I would ever HAVE to use The ZX14 is also a very powerful bike like that, rode one the first time sat.

Anyway.... I still wager the carbs are off
                  Currently Riding:
                  1995 Katana 600
                  V&H Exhaust
                  Jet Kit

SOLD
                  2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                  1987 XV700 Bobber
                  REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

The 2001 Katana 750 engine in my bike will take you to 130 very easily, and that is not quite WOT.

Hell, my 1981 GS 550 could do nearly 100mph. If that's all your 600 Kat can pull, you've got some problems.

Comment

Again, I appreciate all the input and help. I will look at changing the filter to stock this weekend and try that to start with. Don't want to mess with too much (like Joker said) all at once. Thanks again and I will post if/when it is fixed and what the problem was.
                      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

well my little 1985 rz-350 goes 96 mph and still pulling , with 7 1/2 rpms and im 1 down up frt.

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                          well my little 1985 rz-350 goes 96 mph and still pulling , with 7 1/2 rpms and im 1 down up frt.
                          Not to mention with how tall you are you're also probably one of the heavier riders on this site. You gotta be catching quite a bit of wind on that little RZ.
                          John,
                          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                          sigpic

Comment

I've never had problems getting my bike up to those kind of speeds but I also wuss out at like 120. I sort of like my limbs and face, etc, so I try to keep the speeds low in an effort to keep my body as it.

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                              so I try to keep the speeds low in an effort to keep my body as it.
                              Amen to that
                              Last edited by Cheriff; 05-29-2009, 01:00 PM.
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                                I've never had problems getting my bike up to those kind of speeds but I also wuss out at like 120. I sort of like my limbs and face, etc, so I try to keep the speeds low in an effort to keep my body as it.
                                Yup yup. I like my bits attached. I'm definitely going to have to find a "track day" in my area where I can learn to get this Kat up to speed. All the roads around here wide and long enough for 140+ mph are also too well liked by the local constabulary.
                                High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                                X