X

Reaching top speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching top speed?

OK, so I don't do much as far as trying to see how fast my 2006 kat 600 will go. However, the other day as I was just getting on the interstate I decided to see what it would do. I worked my way through the gears and kept accelerating when it was in 6th. However, when I hit 100mph it really wouldn't do anymore. A guy at work was telling me I need to have it almost redline in the other gears and build up my speed prior to just trying to max it out in 6th gear. Is this correct, or is there something wrong with my bike? It has almost 7000 miles on it, and I have the pit pass (transferred over to me from previous owner) so it isn't due to get checked until 7400 or 7500 miles. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I should note that the bike runs fine, both idle and accelerating (other than getting past 100). Thanks in advance.
    "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

If 100mph is all the bike will muster, I would suspect there has been a sprocket change.....I don't think the katana has a speed governor.....but I'm no expert.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

i've gotten mine up to 130 with much ease. either there has been a serious sprocket change, you're doing something wrong, or something i have no idea is wrong with the bike. you shouldn't have to nearly red line every gear to "build up" towards your top speed. true pushing each gear to the peak of it's powerband will get you to the top speed faster, but once you hit 6th, it's gonna keep accelerating to top speed regardless of what speed you entered 6th in. it just may take longer. next time you ride, make a note of your RPM's. as a rule of thumb, in 4th gear. 4000 is ~ 40mph, 5000~50 etc. if yours are different, you have a sprocket change
      2004 Katana
      GO OWLS!!!

Comment

The guy I got the bike from bought it new and didn't do anything to it except a Yoshi exhaust, jet kit and k&n air filter. I wasn't sure if I should be winding out the other gears before changing to 6th.
        "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

wow seems awful light in the top end. My pre 750 can do well over 150 with a jet kit and V&H ssr2 pipe. If the sprockets havent been changed then perhaps a bit of dialing in is in order. I wound up taking the K&N out of mine as the Foam filter was causing to much restriction. I went back to stock and it was much better, at least with my set up.
          Last edited by JokerZwild; 05-27-2009, 02:32 AM.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

+1

100 sounds low.
            Have had my 02 750 up to about 140 (on the speedo).
            2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I don't know much about the filters (this is my first bike). I haven't done any maintenance to the bike since I have the pit pass, which covers all the basic checks at the designated mileage. If it is the filter, is that something that can be cleaned, or is it better off just to change it? I haven't read too much good stuff on KR about the K&Ns. Does changing the air filter have anything to do with the jet kit? In other words will I have to do anything to it if I change the filter?

sigpic

Comment

Air flow restriction has alot to do with performance in just about any internal combustion engine. Think of it like this.... you can dump fuel into the carbs by the gallon. But if you dont have enough air flow to properly atomize it b-4 it hits the cylinders then your doing just that... Dumping raw fuel. Im not saying its YOUR problem. But It was one of mine at one point. If your bike has indeed been jetted and piped then yes attention needs to go into the the proper amount of air intake to optimize the performance of those upgrades. It all goes hand in hand. Im sure if Cyber Poet sees this he can help you with alllll kinds of data on the subject. But my personal opinion on those K&Ns is there very restrictive. (at least the foam ones)
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Hey Joker, if it is the air filter is there something I can do with it (blow it out with an airhose, clean it, etc.)? Also, I read somewhere on here that the K&Ns are supposed to take some kind of oil. Do you know anything about that?

sigpic

Comment

Per my speedo on my pre 750 before my sprocket changes (checked frequently to be with in 2+- by the radar signs on the interstate here).....

1st gear hitting rev limit 60mph
                    2nd gear hitting rev limit 90mph
                    3rd gear hitting rev limit 115
                    4th gear hitting rev limit 140
                    5th gear no where near rev limit 155 but that my friend was the fastest, and last time I hit anywhere near that speed.... the tunnel vision effect was just damn scary.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Newp- there's something very wrong if your Kat is only doing 100. You should be able to get to 130 with some ease.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                      -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

yes, that is way too low
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

just a thought... maybe if the idle is too high, that might take away from some of the *whomp* of acceleration? also you would reach the redline faster i would think... which also would take away from some of your remaining power. what are you idling at? i know i need a good carb cleaning, so right now my idle is up around 2300 rpms otherwise it will stall...
                          1990 GSX 750F Kat

gravity got ya down??

Comment

That is definitely not top speed in a 600...you have more to go. I had my '00 Bandit 600s to an indicated 135 once. I have had my '01 750 Kat up to indicated 140 a few times with a little more room to go....no mods yet....but I am ordering 2 bros exhaust and Ivan's jet kit today
                            vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                            midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                            Go Cardinals!

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                              Per my speedo on my pre 750 before my sprocket changes (checked frequently to be with in 2+- by the radar signs on the interstate here).....

1st gear hitting rev limit 60mph
                              2nd gear hitting rev limit 90mph
                              3rd gear hitting rev limit 115
                              4th gear hitting rev limit 140
                              5th gear no where near rev limit 155 but that my friend was the fastest, and last time I hit anywhere near that speed.... the tunnel vision effect was just damn scary.

Krey
                              I know you have other things done to your bike, but what sprockets are you running?
                              Let's go riding!

Comment

Working...
                              X