X

Somewhere between Prius and Airplane

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
    Thanks for the confidence boost. I've worked with carbs before, but for my 1978 Ford F150 (I love old trucks).

I know it's not the EXACT same, but some of the skills that I've leart with my 78 carb applies to the KAT carbs (tagging and bagging everything, take some pictures, remember how everything came apart, etc...).

I don't think your price is correct for the JET KIT tho. I haven't ever heard of them being that cheap.

And I thought that jet kits kill your mileage?

That's what I was thinking.
    Jets kill your mileage? Urban legend from people that don't know how to tune bikes right.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      Jets kill your mileage? Urban legend from people that don't know how to tune bikes right.
      I thought the whole purpose of jetting your bike was to increase the air/fuel flow? Thus, making the bike less fuel efficient.

Unless my understanding of the jet kit is all the way in left field... which it propably is...
      2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
      - Aaron

Comment

I thought the whole purpose of jetting your bike was to increase the air/fuel flow? Thus, making the bike less fuel efficient.

Unless my understanding of the jet kit is all the way in left field... which it propably is...
        In a nutshell, no. Better mileage can be had simply because you don't need as much throttle opening for the same power, and the mixture is more stoichometric allowing for a better burn.

Stage 1 kit better mileage? Yes/most likely depending on how you ride it.

Stage 3 kit? Probably not/no way.

Comment

Just a minor comment, you don't need to rejet for a slip-on pipe...many here have done so...A full system on the other hand requires it. But the stage 1 kit seems to be a highly recommended upgrade with or without an aftermarket (slip-on) pipe.
          2004 GSX750F

Comment

I'm going to look deeply into this stage 1 jet kit and do some more reading on it.

You guys definitely have my interests sparked for the summer when I'm not doing much
            - Aaron

Comment

I'm going to look deeply into this stage 1 jet kit and do some more reading on it.

You guys definitely have my interests sparked for the summer when I'm not doing much
              NO need to look deeply. Save up 120 bucks, buy Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit. Install following instructions, enjoy.

Comment

NO need to look deeply. Save up 120 bucks, buy Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit. Install following instructions, enjoy.
                Looks to be about right. $120 isn't too bad for some extra ponies at the wrist.

BTW, how much of an increase in the HP does the KAT get from a stage 1?

Hell, I don't even know what the base HP is... lol embarassing...
                - Aaron

Comment

Looks to be about right. $120 isn't too bad for some extra ponies at the wrist.

BTW, how much of an increase in the HP does the KAT get from a stage 1?

Hell, I don't even know what the base HP is... lol embarassing...
                  Stage 1 by itself? Not much. Stage 1 with a slipon? Maybe a couple horse. It's more for driveability. It's not so much to add HP but to smooth out the delivery.

Kat 600 at the crank is something like 82 HP. Rear wheel = about 70-72 HP.

Comment

I have installed both factory pro and dyno jet (on a yamaha) dyno jet was way easier to tune, but it was a totally different bike. I personally have factory pro on my bike.

Also I agree, a louder exhaust won't help much with being noticed. I driven cars with open headers and built motors and still almost be merged into. It's just people don't pay attention. They will put on their make up while texting about how good the cheeseburger they are eating is. YOU need to pay attention, conciously stay out of blind spots and treat every person as though they don't see you.

Comment

I have a scorpion and I love it... yosh are great too... anything but D&D should be fine.

Comment

Stage 1 by itself? Not much. Stage 1 with a slipon? Maybe a couple horse. It's more for driveability. It's not so much to add HP but to smooth out the delivery.

Kat 600 at the crank is something like 82 HP. Rear wheel = about 70-72 HP.
                        Lol, again... confusing to me cause I'm no pro... "smooth out delivery", meaning?
                        - Aaron

Comment

Lol, again... confusing to me cause I'm no pro... "smooth out delivery", meaning?
                          Kats have flat spots in the RPM's....it feels like they are boggy/weak/making no power. With a properly installed and tuned jet kit, they pull smoothly all the way through the RPM range.

Comment

Meaning the power will feel smoother as you twist the wrist, intead of say having a flat spot from 4-6k then at 7 having it burst forward.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

not sure what year you have, excuse me if you said it already... although judging by your avatar it lookes like its NOT a 1999 http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...600-Parts.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                                Meaning the power will feel smoother as you twist the wrist, intead of say having a flat spot from 4-6k then at 7 having it burst forward.
                                That was my guess, cause that's the only portion of the power band that I know of that's a MASSIVE jump... Approximately @ 5k.

Love it when I'm above 5k... when I'm below it feels like she's bogging and begging me to let her go.

Not sure why my signature suddenly disappeared, but it's a 2005.
                                Last edited by Aaron-71; 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM.
                                - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X