X

Somewhere between Prius and Airplane

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhere between Prius and Airplane

I'm looking to get a new exhaust for my Katana cause I'm tired of others not being able to hear me while I'm on the road.

Looking for something that's not too expensive ($300+), and something that won't make me deaf by the time I hit 30 yrs old.

Anyone done an exhaust mod like this? I just want to give my bike a little bit of a sound boost (maybe performance too if it comes with the can :bunny2), but I'm more looking for something that will let traffic know I'm there.

Not looking for something to make me deaf.

I've heard Yoshi makes a decent pipe, but I've heard them up close... they don't sound too far off from stock to me... maybe it's just me?
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Unfortunately, increasing the sound of your bike will not afford you any greater "visibility" to cagers. Your best bang for the buck would be for Hi-Vis jacket to help you be noticeable. Again, not looking to sway you, but the truth is louder pipes have no benefit in saving lives, contrary to what you may have heard or led to believe.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
      Unfortunately, increasing the sound of your bike will not afford you any greater "visibility" to cagers. Your best bang for the buck would be for Hi-Vis jacket to help you be noticeable. Again, not looking to sway you, but the truth is louder pipes have no benefit in saving lives, contrary to what you may have heard or led to believe.

I've got a very high-vis jacket on when I ride.

I usually almost always wear a Red and White ICON jacket that make me stand out like a sore thumb on my bike. It's also got some small reflective bits on it so I can be seen at night.

I can't count on both hands how many times I've come within inches of being hit... it seems that I'm invisible on my motorcycle or can't be heard. Being heard is basically what I want, cause it's obivous that my stock can sure as **** doesn't give off enough sound.
      - Aaron

Comment

Also another thing to consider is riding too close and not being in their blind spot..........Always think that they do not see you and you will have a better chance of evading them.....
        sigpic
        98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
        Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Even if you had a Harley with straight pipes, the only cars that will hear are behind you or right next to you. Pay attention the next time you're in your car and a motorcycle passes you.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
            I've got a very high-vis jacket on when I ride.

I usually almost always wear a Red and White ICON jacket that make me stand out like a sore thumb on my bike. It's also got some small reflective bits on it so I can be seen at night.

I can't count on both hands how many times I've come within inches of being hit... it seems that I'm invisible on my motorcycle or can't be heard. Being heard is basically what I want, cause it's obivous that my stock can sure as **** doesn't give off enough sound.
            Loud Pipes don't save lives. Next time you're in your car, listen for bikes. Can't hear them until they are next to you or in front of you. The trick is to ride like you're invisible. Assume NO ONE sees you, pay attention to your surroundings, and leave plenty of room between you and the cars around you. That will do more for you than loud pipes ever will.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            Even if you had a Harley with straight pipes, the only cars that will hear are behind you or right next to you. Pay attention the next time you're in your car and a motorcycle passes you.
            ^^^THIS^^^

Comment

Originally posted by vonrapier View Post
              Also another thing to consider is riding too close and not being in their blind spot..........Always think that they do not see you and you will have a better chance of evading them.....
              Oh, I fully understand the rules of riding and always drive defensively. I never stay in a blind spot for more than a second or two (when I'm passing someone).

I always give cagers lots of room in front of me (I make sure to stay well-behind them in any adjacent lane), and make sure I always sit in the "blocking" position (if I can see their face in their mirror, I know they can see me (if they use their mirrors).

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              the only cars that will hear .... are right next to you.
              That's exactly it. I've had multiple occurances where I am comfortably passing someone or riding directly next them (rush hour... can't avoid it) and they don't hear me at all.

I've had people just straight up... try and take over my lane cause they don't shoulder check or can't hear me while I'm there, and it results in me taking the emergency lane (shoulder of the road) and slowing down, then getting behind them.

Pay attention the next time you're in your car and a motorcycle passes you.
              It's not like I haven't driven a car before. I understand what you're talking about. The problem I have is when a car that I'm DIRECTLY BESIDE doesn't hear me or have the intelligence to shoulder check (to see that my head is directly parallel with theirs).

At that point, it becomes a noise/idiocity issue cause they:

A) can't hear me;
              and B) didn't shoulder check (so they didn't see me sitting directly beside them...)
              - Aaron

Comment

I have a Yoshi on my 750 pre and it does not help with cagers. They still cut me off or swerve into my lane.
                It is loud (anything over 5000 RPM) , after just a few days it got annoying and now I hate it.
                Not to mention the PIA to get the carbs tuned for it (still working on it).
                I only have it because it was on the bike when I bought it.
                http://www.wickedelements.com

^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by wickeded View Post
                  I have a Yoshi on my 750 pre and it does not help with cagers. They still cut me off or swerve into my lane.
                  It is loud (anything over 5000 RPM) , after just a few days it got annoying and now I hate it.
                  Not to mention the PIA to get the carbs tuned for it (still working on it).
                  I only have it because it was on the bike when I bought it.
                  Well that sucks...

Maybe I'll just start driving in the shoulder of the road and assume that I'll be there anyways (cause other traffic is stoopid)

Something else I thought of... I take some 300+ km trips between major cities more than twice a year... stupidly loud pipes would kill on that long of a trip...
                  - Aaron

Comment

I personally like the loud pips i have a vance and hines ss2r on my 99 kat and i love it, pretty quiet low in the rpms but get her above 4500 she screams! I think they can be had for under 300.00 new

Comment

Dont get away from wanting a good pipe on your bike. Aside from having a nice sound on your bike it will increase your horse power with proper jetting of your carbs which isnt to difficult to do your self. I have a yoshi r&d pipe on my kat 750 and i can tell you this much, i have very few times where the car infront of me doesnt hear me and starts looking for me. Or another option get an air horn, for damn sure they will stay out of your way!
                      MEET SUZI, SHE HAS A BEAUTIFUL REAR END!! THATS ALL YOU'LL BE SEEING OF HER!!!!

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I still like the idea of a louder pipe.

The carbs having to get fiddled with kind of outweighs a pipe for me though.
                        - Aaron

Comment

I remeber the first time i tore in to my katanas carbs, i actually youtubed a couple of videos and noticed it really isnt that difficult, rejetting the carbs is as easy as changing the light bulbs on your bike, which by the way is a pain in the arse. And you can get a jet kit for about $20 on ebay, paying $250 + to have then tinkered with by a mechanic is hard for anyone to justify. Plus what the worst that can happen? If you take your time and do each carb one by one you can do it, just go into it with confidence. Plus if you have any question feel free to ask and i can walk you through the process. Good luck, plus i can tell you from experience that when you do the work your self you have much more confidence in your skills plus its a great way to learn your bike.
                          MEET SUZI, SHE HAS A BEAUTIFUL REAR END!! THATS ALL YOU'LL BE SEEING OF HER!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MIAMIMONSTERKAT View Post
                            I remeber the first time i tore in to my katanas carbs, i actually youtubed a couple of videos and noticed it really isnt that difficult, rejetting the carbs is as easy as changing the light bulbs on your bike, which by the way is a pain in the arse. And you can get a jet kit for about $20 on ebay, paying $250 + to have then tinkered with by a mechanic is hard for anyone to justify. Plus what the worst that can happen? If you take your time and do each carb one by one you can do it, just go into it with confidence. Plus if you have any question feel free to ask and i can walk you through the process. Good luck, plus i can tell you from experience that when you do the work your self you have much more confidence in your skills plus its a great way to learn your bike.
                            Links PLS....I have yet to see one that cheap. Just changing a jet size is NOT a jet kit. Jet kits include new needles too.

Comment

Originally posted by MIAMIMONSTERKAT View Post
                              Thanks for the confidence boost. I've worked with carbs before, but for my 1978 Ford F150 (I love old trucks).

I know it's not the EXACT same, but some of the skills that I've leart with my 78 carb applies to the KAT carbs (tagging and bagging everything, take some pictures, remember how everything came apart, etc...).

I don't think your price is correct for the JET KIT tho. I haven't ever heard of them being that cheap.

And I thought that jet kits kill your mileage?

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                              Links PLS....I have yet to see one that cheap. Just changing a jet size is NOT a jet kit. Jet kits include new needles too.
                              That's what I was thinking.
                              - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                              X