No announcement yet.
X

My Stretched Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn, in that case screw it. I'll try buying a cheap replacement arm and then cutting one side off and reinforcing everything. worse comes to worse, I waste a few hundred.
    - Remember -
    Ride wherever the road takes you and
    never stop until every inch of pavement
    has tasted your rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroGlycerin View Post
      Damn, in that case screw it. I'll try buying a cheap replacement arm and then cutting one side off and reinforcing everything. worse comes to worse, I waste a few hundred.
      i'll save you a few hundred... it's alot more difficult then just cutting one side off of a stock swing arm... there's ALOT of math involved in designing a swingarm (geometry, weight and load distribution, balances, etc...) and honestly bro, if your asking the question... you prolly shouldn't be doing the work. that's not meant to be disrespectful in any way... just don't want to see any of our members get killed cuz they decided to chop their bike, and then it decintigrated on them doing 65 on the highway.

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
      "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
        i'll save you a few hundred... it's alot more difficult then just cutting one side off of a stock swing arm... there's ALOT of math involved in designing a swingarm (geometry, weight and load distribution, balances, etc...) and honestly bro, if your asking the question... you prolly shouldn't be doing the work. that's not meant to be disrespectful in any way... just don't want to see any of our members get killed cuz they decided to chop their bike, and then it decintigrated on them doing 65 on the highway.
        Trust me, I know what you mean. I re-read my post and realized I sounded like an idiot haha. Obviously I would research before just cutting and praying yanno?

I totally know what you mean about lack of knowledge and everything. It'll probably never happen anyway, just something I would LOVE to do.
        - Remember -
        has tasted your rubber.

Comment

its like anything else... if you got the time and the money to possibilities are endless.
          Joker
          The newest addition to the Family!
          sigpic
          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
            its like anything else... if you got the time and the money to possibilities are endless.

You might would consider fitting a Honda VFR or Ducati single-sided swingarm

Comment

before Kwebbel passed, he said his hardest mod was the vfr swingarm
              Chrome Project Part 1
              http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

I had no idea that Kwebble passed. I'm sorry to hear that. I just assumed he didn't stop by the forum anymore. I feel like crap now.
                - Remember -
                has tasted your rubber.

Comment

I don't want to thread-jack here, but I was thinking about getting one of those swing arms that have one side open. I'm not sure what they're called, but Kwebble has one on his bike. They're the swing arms that aren't on both sides of the wheel. They look awesome on bikes IMO. I was wondering if anyone had prices or know where to buy one. If not, anyone know how to fab one?
                  VFR and NT650 Hawk arms are the easiest to fit (narrowest at the pivot). There a little machining work, some custom bushing/spacers/linkages required, and a little frame welding. If you can do the work yourself, you can usually get all the parts for around $500.

Here's a vfr750 arm in my long term GSXR project. Different frame but the same principal.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
                    VFR and NT650 Hawk arms are the easiest to fit (narrowest at the pivot). There a little machining work, some custom bushing/spacers/linkages required, and a little frame welding. If you can do the work yourself, you can usually get all the parts for around $500.

Here's a vfr750 arm in my long term GSXR project. Different frame but the same principal.

Hmm that looks really good. I will have to look into those two. I'll also look into the Busa ones too considering the Busa's are like 120$ on Ebay.

It'll probably never happen, so I'll just keep dreaming too haha.

On a completely different note, I do believe I completely jacked this thread.

Sorry about that to the OP. Turns out, I'm a complete jackazz lmao
                    - Remember -
                    has tasted your rubber.

Comment

OOOoooOoo me likey!!! Holdin out on the Project pics are we?
                      Joker
                      The newest addition to the Family!
                      sigpic
                      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I had no idea that Kwebble passed. I'm sorry to hear that. I just assumed he didn't stop by the forum anymore. I feel like crap now.
                        he passed about a year ago... but his family asked us to try and not talk about it too much... his daughter used to be a member, and we try to respect their wishes as much as possible

waltari... that project looks insane... even tho its not a kat, u gotta keep us up to date on it... maybe do a build thread... cuz it just looks too cool to not share, u kno
                        Last edited by airforceranger49; 11-18-2009, 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                        "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Hells yah that looks awesome!!!

Comment

6 days and ill be home!!!

Comment

Welcome Back...

Comment

Looks good
                                My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap