X

92 750 Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just keeps on gettin better ... :
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

• Didn't have a very productive day. Got off work early, and thought I was going to be able to get most everything done. A small screw up with my math during mockup months ago and one big dumb*ss move this evening, blew that hope out the water.

The new turnbuckle links I ordered wound up being worthless for this project. They were not designed to clear the spring of the shock. The gsxr shock is normally mounted higher where the links would only have to clear the lever. I didn't think about that, so I will just use them for something else. Wound up using my old turnbuckle links that I just pulled off the other rear end.

With that small setback out of the way I started making some brackets

With them made, I got them tacked into place

Which brings me to my dumb*ss move. Once tacked, I removed the jacks, to let the suspension settle and see if I needed to adjust the brackets positioning. Well, I sat on the bike and decided to bounce up and down to make sure everything was settled. Wont do that again. I broke the tacks free which sent the bike straight down till the swingarm was pinned on the tail

I couldn't believe I really did that. Oh well. Got that fixed, and with the bike back on 2 wheels, I started looking at the links, lever, and shock. Was hoping that everything was going to straighten out some with weight on it, but it didnt change much. The angle of the lever was way off and it was still against the tire some. Somehow, months ago, I must have miss calculated something.

The only option I had was to move the shock up as much as possible. Off goes the upper shock mount and I made a new one.

I moved it up as far as I could and tacked that mount in place. Shortened the links to fit and this is the best I can get things. Big improvement

I would have liked to move that shock up about 1/2" more, but the shock reservoir line was in the way.

Comment

• I'm headed down the homestretch here. Just need to bleed the rear brake, mount the speedo sensor, fix small issue with exhaust and figure where and how to put the licensce plate ( Ideas encouraged )

Shock rez mounted

The next 2 pixtures are of the finished swap. One is with the hugger and one is without. I cant decide which way to go with that ( opinions also welcome here )

Comment

• I'd say with the hugger!! The hugger goes so well with the back end of the bike, I'd not change a thing.

Comment

• this bike is puuuuuuureee SEX!!

Comment

• Duuude ...... very nice .... that hugger gives it a good flavor. Front fender and bikini fairing and it'll be total sex in motion, xxx rated style with the hottest chick you've never met
              The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

• PERFECT its really an amazing job.

This kind of project always keep between freak and perfect, you have done one of the most perfect projet that I ever saw, off course opnion changes but for me its the best

Comment

• Nice job! I started customizing my 96' 600 this past winter and now I'm inspired to keep going with it.
                  sigpic
                  1996 GSX-F 600
                  2000 GSX-R 750

Comment

• I'd def go with the hugger....looks good. The only thing I don't like...and maybe you're putting it back on is the chainguard's missing. (But do what makes you happy). As for the mounting of your plate, someone here did a shovel chop using a joist hanger and mounted both his plate and signal lights to it.......and it looked good.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

• I have the chain guard, just have to find it. It's sitting in a box or corner somewhere along with all the other bolts and pieces for this bike. I could have sworn I was getting a little better with organization but it seems not to be so.

I have a look into the mentioned shovel chop and see if that will get some ideas rolling around in my head

Comment

• Unfortunately the bike is downed right now for reasons I wont go into. So, what I have been doing is little things here and there that needed done but were not a high priority.

When I reworked the exhaust last time, I still had a clearance issue with the ground on hard rights. That was bugging me but I couldnt change that with the amount of pipe/bends I had. So, I ordered some J-bends and they arrived yesterday. Spent a few hours today working on it

Another problem I was having was with how the prior system was mounted. There was only one mount location about 4" past the collector leaving all the weight of the can and exhaust levering off that mount. It was starting to get hairline cracks around the mount because of this. I redesigned how the front mount joined the pipe and even though I didnt really want to, I made a rear mount. A quick and simple mount that would bear some of the weight of the exhaust made from some 3/16" rod

Comment

• Small update today. The bike is back together and I'm loving the shorter wheelbase. Hoping that I will be able to get some good seat time in next week, before I have to travel out of town for work.

Just like the last update, I'm still getting to some things that needed some attention, but were not rush jobs. One of those things was the brakes. When I made the jump to a USD front end, I thought 6 pot calipers would be better. Turns out thats not the case. The front brakes always felt soft and I had to squeeze the lever all the way before they would get a good bite.

Ordered a set of 4 pots from a TL1000s and they came today. After installing and bleeding the system, I can tell a huge difference. With only a 1/4 squeeze on the lever, there is enough bite where my 200# self cant move the bike

I think I will re-paint the belly pan next. Going to spray the inside black and paint the mounting tabs black also, that way it will give an illusion that its floating instead of seeing the mounts.

Wednesday, my new needles and emulsion tubes will be here. Thats about when I will have to leave state for work for about a week. The plan there is to pull the carbs, since I cant take the bike, and fully clean/ rebuild them. New pilot jets and O-rings are here already waiting

Comment

• Time for an update. I'm pulling the Bandit 1200 motor out of my GS build to swap onto this bike. Going over the motor real good first to make sure everything checks out ok before I make the swap. Trying to do this on a shoe string budget, which should be possible with the parts I already have in the shop. Hoping to have this completed and riding in a week, max of 2 weeks. Pictures to come once I start making actual progress

Comment

• cool, keep us updated with lots of pics!

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

• Progress has been made. Mostly in a good direction. Got the clearances checked and the 1200 out of the GS. Unfortunately for me, I threw my back out trying to man handle the motor out, and found myself stuck on the floor for a couple hours. Was trying to save some time by not disassembling the GS to lay her over like i normally would. Lesson learned and luckily my son was there to help me out.

Quite a few hours later, after a lot of ice, deep heat, and some ibuprofin, I was able to resume somewhat. Motor patiently waiting

Then I got to work on the Kat. This time I worked a lot smarter and disassembled the bike around the motor. The 750 lump is now on the floor waiting to be stripped of her goodies. Going to steal the cooler, 2 side covers, breather, carb clamps, and the sprocket cover. Going to stick with the cable clutch for now. And i might steal the oil pan and pickup if I have clearance issues

I have a list of parts to order tonight. Also decided to finish the body work and re paint the frame. Figured nows the best time since she is all torn apart. Should look like a new bike once everything is back together
                                Last edited by 92GSX750; 10-22-2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X