Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet
    1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Comment

• Finished the damper mounts this morning. Had planned to go to work and mill an aluminum bracket to weld to the triple, but instead I stayed home and cut the one off the zx6r triple. Worked real good. All thats left to do is re-assemble the front end and as soon as the rain quits, go for a spin and see how everything work out.

I'll probably cut that tach off to while the triple is free. Bloody thing doesn't work any more and looks like crap. Might also throw the triple in the mill Monday and cut out that Hayabusa lettering.

Comment

• wow you changed the geometry enough to warrant a damper?
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

• Last time I calculated the trail was when I had extended swingarm on and it was 3.92". I haven't dropped the nose any more since then, but when I switched over to the gsxr swingarm, the rear was raised slightly. So, that number has gone down some. Also, my wheelbase is now about 1" shorter than stock. The steering is quick and I love it that way and have no plans to change that.

I have had a few tank slappers though. Mostly when the front end gets light on bumpy roads. That in its self has had me considering a damper for some time now. With the addition of this motor, I decided it would be best to just go ahead and install one.

I have been working off and on, on the bike since my last post. I went ahead and cut the tach off and moved the Koso gauge down in its place.

It cleaned up the front end a lot. I still plan to remove that lettering, but that will be another day. I'm ready to ride again, been far to long. Hopefully tomorrow

Comment

• Ah I understand... I did raise my tail and lowered my front which made it feel like it really wants to just fall into the turns I love it. I'm never going back, but i haven't had any issues with it prolly because I'm still running the stock arm. It's good to note that if i do change the swing arm I may want to try to keep the same length.
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

• love your work,man
              1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Comment

• Wow, took her for a quick spin tonight and what a difference that motor is. The carbs aren't even close to right, yet she pulled the front end like nothing. I actually didn't realize she had lifted until the tire touched back down

Once these carbs are right, this things going to be a blast. And I think its safe to say this build is coming to an end. Time to start my zx6r build or resume my GS build

Comment

• please post some pics when she's all together def a great build!

Comment

• Well, I havn't updated this thread. Figured I would bring you all up to speed. Got the bike up and running good, or so I thought. Anyways took the bike out Sunday for a little joy ride, having a blast pulling the front end and what not. Was on my way back home, turned on my road and got on her one last good time. Had the front end up in the air and then I heard a strange noise. Pulled the clutch and the motor instantly stopped. Pushed the bike most of the way home then got a tow by a 4 wheeler the rest of the way

Had some time this morning to start teardown and see what all damage was done.

Went ahead and pulled the motor out since there is no room to do anything with it in the frame

Lifted the valve cover for a nice suprise. Cam chain was tight as heck and the keeper for the intake valve on cyl #2 was broke in half.

Pulled the head suspecting valve damage and sure enough there was. Piston smacked the valve a couple real good times which explains the noise I heard just before she locked up. The valve is bent all to heck and there is pieces of the missing valve spring keeper mashed into the head.

The piston got some damage also from hitting the valve. You can see the remainder of the keeper pieces lying on top the piston

The crankshaft still will not rotate, so more teardown to come. At this point I'm not sure if i will rebuild this engine or start looking for another 1200. Already need a new head, pistons, cam chain, plus what ever is wrong in the bottom end.

Comment

• Did a little more work and pulled the cylinders. As soon as I did I realized where the other half of the keeper was. Pinned between the cam chain and the gear on the crankshaft.

That explains why the chain was so F-ing tight. Also explains why the motor stopped abruptly. After working at it for a while, I was able to get it out. Unfortunately some damage was done to the gear. It might not be visable in this picture but one of the corners of one tooth is broke off ( about where the flash light and screwdriver are pointing )

I was hoping that the crank would escape carnage, but I wasn't that lucky. Time to start searching for parts and see what's available. Good news is the crank is now spinning free. Since I found the other half of the keeper, I'm now trying to figure out what this foreign metal inside that cylinder was and more importantly, how it got in there

Comment

• Aw man, that sucks. Glad ya found the issue, but sorry to see the investment it's gonna take to get the rotating assembly fixed.
                        1991 Kat 600 Fightered
                        2001 SV650 Naked
                        2011 Roketa 150 Scooter

Comment

• The dangers of using an old engine with unknown history, that sucks dude.

Trash the crappy oil cooled motors, throw a modern motor in there...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            The dangers of using an old engine with unknown history, that sucks dude.

Trash the crappy oil cooled motors, throw a modern motor in there...
                            If I had one, I probably would give it a shot. The only one I do have is my 09zx6 and i sure as heck ain't wasting it on this bike.

Comment

• good job on the tail light! cant wait to see it come out
                              Tyberious Rasputen Von-rotten Shagnasty
                              True story

Comment

• I'm digging the battery box..

Comment

Working...
                                X