92 750 Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subscribed
    nice job!

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

• Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
      Have another problem now.

The collector on my header is hanging down too low. A couple days ago I was out on the back roads pushing her real hard. Hit a huge dip in a turn and ripped the header wrap off again. I literally just fixed it a week ago from the same thing. There isn't any room to move it up any, so I need to come up with a 4-2 header with 2 pipes running down each side of the pan. I'll either mod a header to work or if cash permits I'll build a stainless header and ditch the wrap.
      This is actually really common on pre kats with aftermarket exhaust systems of any sort due to a really soft suspension. Better shock, better fork springs fix the issue.

Generally the rear shock doesn't rebound far enough so when pushing in the curves alot your rear height actually slowly drops in clearance... then a big bump in a curve and your shock is already partly compressed = scrape!

You may not need to do anything with your planned work for the rear swingarm/shock in place.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Thanks wild bill.

And kreylyn you described just how it is. Hard right lean + bump = bottom out/ scrape, even with the R6 shock. I think the 3" extension is part of the issue. But that should all be fixed soon, 1" shorter wheelbase than stock and a Tmod shock.

Comment

• So, I realized today that this thread has not been updated to the most recent progress. Its not much, since I have another project going right now also. Last week I went ahead and did a mockup of the new rear end, so I could send the shock to Tmod to be worked. The next 3 pictures are different angles of the bike mocked up at ride height

The shock is from a post 750, so that means remote rez. Here is where I hope to be putting the rez

Today I recieved an e-mail from 7th gear letting me know that my rear sproket has been mailed out. Once it gets here, I need to do another mockup to see what offset the CS sproket will need. Other than that, I have been riding as much as possible. I say possible because I have been trying to get the carbs dialed in and the voltage regulator gave up a ghost. Picked up another alternator today, so I should be back up and running by tomorrow afternoon.

Also had this happen a couple weeks ago. Drug the cap right off in a hard right. Guess I should have put some bolts back on after the chop. Oh well, I have an RS-3 can waiting to go on

And a picture of my other project, and no its not a Yahama. Might start a build thread for that one

Comment

• Nice gs frame! when I'm done with my kat i think I'll be building a gs. i love the twin shock look, i guess i'm still a sucker for older bikes.... and women for that matter.
            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

• I love older bikes. The GS1100ez has been a favorite for a long time

Comment

• Apon arival to the house this afternoon I spotted 3 packages on my door step. Here is what goodies came

That purdy ol sproket was made by 7th gear. Very pleased, Thanks GSXFJim.

The other part is a new harness and relay for my projector. While thats not too exciting, the old setup craped out on me, which put the bike down for a week. So, I was rather happy it arived and I promply got started

Took me a couple hours to knock the harness out. Had to pull the wires back thru the frame, rework the new harness, and snake it back thru the frame a final time. Works great and I'm back on 2 wheels again. A week is the longest I have gone without riding since I got my licensce, and man it felt like forever

Tomorrow I will replace the bearing and seal for the sproket carrier, mount the sproket, and might try and get a tire on the new rim.

Comment

• That bike is looking real nice!

Comment

• New bearing, seal, and sprocket installed

Comment

• That's purdy!
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Made some progress last night. It was late though and didnt get but a couple pictures. But I managed to finish the tube work around the seat. Still need to cap the bottom off with some sheetmetal. Going to have to get creative and figure out a permanent light setup. There is no room anywhere really, so I might have to go with some LED's.

Here is the start of the tube work picking up where I left off last time

Both sides done

Once they were all tacked in place real good, I pulled the tubes off and welded them up. Then buffed the welds real good. Much easier this way than on the bike. Once it was nice and smooth it was put back on and welded in place

Not pictured, but I rigged up that light once again and threw a coat of paint on everything so I can keep riding. That last picture shows just how much room is there for a tail light, except the seat latch mechanism is missing from the picture. Imagine that in there and you can see where my delima will be for a light.

Comment

• You're very good at work with metal, I think you'll have a really nice clean product at the end
                          again; nice job

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

• My new Tmod shock is in

Comment

• Alright, time for a forced update. Riding home from work on Friday, my exhaust fell off. Aparently where I had the can mounted was just bad, as every time I made a hard right turn, the can drug the ground. I guess over time all that force from hitting the ground wound up breaking the welds on the hanger allowing it to fall off.

Sunday night I got online looking at some new mufflers. I wanted something a little quieter than my last setup, yet still having a nice tone. My last setup was attracting to much unwanted attention. Unfortunately every one that I liked came with a hefty price tag. So, I was forced with a decision. Spend a couple hundred on a new muffler and wait a week maybe 2 or cut up another rashed yoshi can I had laying around.

Simple choice. CHOP!!!!

Thats the finished internal chop. I was able to re use the steel wool and fiberglass packing.

And here is the finished job minus the welding. I dont have any stainless filler rods here at home so I will finish the welds at work tomorrow. Im not sure what year and cc katana this exhaust came off of but it wasn't even close to fitting stock. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to wrap the connecting pipe the same as the header or just paint it black

I also got my clamps in for the shock reservoir. Simple clean aluminum brackets

Comment

• Nice...
                                "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Working...
                                X