No announcement yet.
X

Someone stole my Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that sucks bad. Ive had things stolen before and trust me I KNOW it sucks.
    I park all my toys in the garage!

Comment

Don't forget to post a notice on Craigslist, offer a reward etc...
      I keep the fairings off my bike so it looks like junk. I was even thinking about plasti dipping some ugly/fadded rust color on the tank. Plus, I try not to install new tires before winter so it sits with less valuable parts that the thief could sell. When you lock it down try not to loop your lock through rims because they can be taken off. Put your chain/cable through the frame or forks/above the fender. Of course, the more locks the better. You want to make the thief have to spend as much time as possible so he is more likely to be caught or discouraged. Good Luck !
      Last edited by katanarider; 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM.
      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Found a picture on Google maps.
        New video with the picture in the video.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ChandlerW; 01-24-2015, 06:58 PM.
        --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
        --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

Looks like he drove it away? Ever got the key copied by a non-legitimate business? Previous owner was nearby after all these years? I'll keep a lookout for the headlight, chainguard, swingarm and paint scheme.
          - Purplehaze
          All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

I guess that's one of the bummers economically for the Kats. If you have one in good shape and it is taken, it would be very difficult to replace for what they are worth.
            Hopefully they find it and it is not too bad. I think it is easy to get complacent with these bikes because they really are not that popular. People wanting a joy ride is probably our biggest problem. As old as our bikes are, they still look like something fun to take for a joy ride.

Comment

An inexpesive but effective deterrent is a disk lock, especially when you lock it to the rear disk, which makes it extra difficult to take off due to the lack of manuvering room. Thieves a lazy by nature, so if you make harder they will usually move to easier targets.

Comment

Sorry dude. i spent a 6 Months last year rebuilding my carbs, having all the plastic repaired and painted, reassembling. I renewed my liability insurance the night before I was gonna ride it to work last July 2014 and was woke up by the police. The ass stole it and wrecked it before the end of the block. At least I got it back, but haven't got to ride it since Christmas 2013. I am just getting the $$ together to get the plastics fixed again, and of course the carb will need redone since it's sat a year. I learned the hard way to lock my forks. Now it's protected by an alarm and Smith & Wesson.
                Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!

Comment

Got me a replacement today

I found a 1996 Katana 600 today for $400. Its in good shape. Better shaped than the bike that was stolen. It runs but needs the usual. Carbs cleaned, fairings put back on, and I need a few parts.
                  Its going to be my daily driver.
                  Its also going to be a garage queen. This bike isn't sitting outside for a minute. I'm not giving a thief a chance with this one. I have a GPS I'm installing and I'll use a disc lock and chain when I park it at work. If they get this one its going to take some work.
                  --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
                  --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

Congrats on the new ride
                    FYI The 96/97 bike are unique. A cross between a pre and a post. They have parts that only fit 96/97 bikes. Loom, ignition box. The rest is a cross over thing, the hand controls are also specific (plug and wire count are different). The 88' I built has 96/97 electrics in it.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by ChandlerW View Post
                      I'll use a disc lock
                      Be careful with those disc locks ! If moisture gets to them they can lock up permanently, so then you'll be forced to remove the wheel and disc to free up the bike. Definitely don't buy the cheap green "Stockton" from Cycle Gear. Its way to big for the rotors. I've gone through 3 of these things. Also, if you forget its on the bike and attempt to ride off you'll bang up your bike, ask me how I know....lol. The best one I've tried is the orange "Bully". Even that one stuck after sitting under a shed all winter. The Bully worked awesome the first year I owned it. It was the 2nd & 3rd year I realized it started to stick. I had to spray a lot of WD40 to free it up. They are spring loaded and the spring will stick/rust causing it to not unlock which equals= S.O.L ($#!T Outta Luck) ! Only use them for daily purposes, not long term. I kept mine in the tray next to the battery while out on the town.
                      Last edited by katanarider; 03-15-2015, 04:00 AM.
                      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Mine was stolen last year. A cop actually drove by in opposite direction as they were towing it down the street. Cop thought he needed help so turned around. They didtched my bike and wrecked it good. 2 hours later they pull over a car matching the car's description. See drug paraphanalia, and arrest the guy. Got a warrant and found my motorcycle cover in front seat along with drugs. The DA didn't charge him with poss of stolen property or of the bike and the guy was on parole and just released from prison. I don't get that.
                        Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!

Comment

Working...
                        X