X

The evolution of my 2000 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted the bike.

So I couldn't wait until winter to do the body work and paint, so I did it this weekend. I filled the dents in the tank and filled the cracks and missing pieces on the fairings. I painted the whole bike with rustoleum automotive gloss black, used rustoleum lens tint on the front blinkers, replaced the rear blinkers with smaller ones, and cleaned up the cut off rear fender with my dremel. Here are the pics.

IMG_1414.jpgIMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1548.jpgIMG_1550.jpg

IMG_1552.jpgIMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1556.jpgIMG_1558.jpg
    Last edited by christianguitarest; 05-29-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH]23396[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23397[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23398[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23399[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23400[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23401[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23402[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23403[/ATTACH]

Comment

not bad at all for rattle can gj
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
        Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
        confused katana build

Comment

[ATTACH]23404[/ATTACH][ATTACH]23405[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23406[/ATTACH]

Comment

I also sprayed the cas cap white it you couldn't tell in the poto. Now I just need my exhaust to get here and I ll be set.

Comment

Very Nice... now, get the bugs off the front forks will ya....lol
              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Good job man!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
                  Very Nice... now, get the bugs off the front forks will ya....lol
                  Ya I know, but I had just gotten it home. I painted it at a friends house who has a garage, he lives 87 miles from me, stupid bugs. Also, I got my delkevic pipe today, here it is. 2 big days in a row for the Kat.

delkevic.jpg

Comment

everyone always goes w flat back, nice to actually see what the glossy looks like on a rattle can. looks good man. did you do any layers of clear coat on top?

Comment

No I did not, I find that all rattlecan clear coat is hazy and runs really easily. Also with clear, you either need to do it within the first hour of your final coat of paint or wait untill the 12 hour mark and no later that 24 hours. If you wait to long the clear coat will dry and shrink on top of your dry pain and pull the paint off, causing wrinkles. The automotive sets up really nice, but you have to put in on kinda thick, otherwise it doesn't get glossy, just rough and hazy. Ive done enough spray painting to know what to do and not do. Always use primer. Spray 3 base coats. 1st really light, 2nd medium, and 3rd pretty thick within the boundaries of your ability and the paint as each paint will have different levels of stick before it runs. The best thing you can do with any spraypaint is to put your can in a bowl or cooler of warm to hot water. The paint will come out in a perfect mist without any small globs of paint coming out. If you can, use two of the same color can of paint, I had 6, so you can alternate every 1 to 2 minutes of spraying to insure the can stays warm. Obviously on small projects 1 can is enough as your spray time should be short, but when you trying to spray tank, fairings, and other plastic pieces in each round, generally I could start on the tank coat, finish the fairings, and go back to the tank and start again the second ect. as when you go in light coats the paint drys in 10 min and sticks really well. Handle time after finishing painting should bo no sooner than 10-12 hours, otherwise the part you thought was dry will get a fingerprint when you push hard. So use a towl when assembling your bike and pushing faring parts ect together. Any questions? LOL
                      Last edited by christianguitarest; 05-30-2012, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Looks good I hear you on the rattle can Clear coat.. Made the CF paint job I did (Posted in Pics & Flicks) look hazy after I sprayed it... Lesson learned and will use a spray gun and good clear next time.

Also the tail swap is pretty easy too if you ever decide to do that!
                        Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by kat600rdr View Post
                          Looks good I hear you on the rattle can Clear coat.. Made the CF paint job I did (Posted in Pics & Flicks) look hazy after I sprayed it... Lesson learned and will use a spray gun and good clear next time.

Also the tail swap is pretty easy too if you ever decide to do that!
                          This is going to sound doumb, what is the tail swap envolve?
                          Last edited by christianguitarest; 05-30-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Turned out really nice. If you give it 2 weeks or so to cure, I'd take some wax and go over it and it'll make it look a lot shinier. Just make sure it's cured otherwise it will gum up!
                            I have to paint my bike soon and you doing it in a weekend gave me some motivation to hurry up and do it lol

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Glad to hear! I will have to get some wax, I think Im going to go over it with some kind of a compound as well to get some of the haze out.

Ive been thinking about frame sliders. Anybody ever make there own? Ive seen some on ebay that have brakets that clamp on to your frame, thought I could fab up something simular. Also, screen mesh mod, any downside to doing this?
                              Last edited by christianguitarest; 05-30-2012, 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by christianguitarest View Post
                                Glad to hear! I will have to get some wax, I think Im going to go over it with some kind of a compound as well to get some of the haze out.

Ive been thinking about frame sliders. Anybody ever make there own? Ive seen some on ebay that have brakets that clamp on to your frame, thought I could fab up something simular. Also, screen mesh mod, any downside to doing this?
                                can't easily adjust idle? :P

Built up Black 94 5.0 Mustang - Champagne Pearl 2001 Chrysler LHS - Canary Yellow 2001 Katana 600 - 94 F350 7.3 IDI turbo crew cab dually

Comment

Working...
                                X