OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN :cry: !! LONG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOPS, I DID IT AGAIN :cry: !! LONG

Yep I crashed, again,
    I'm ok, a few bumps and bruises, and a swollen right .. um.. testicle, but I'll be fine.

Now, the details:

I got caught in the rain on my way back to the office at lunch time Friday. crusing a 4 lane slightly curvy road about 1 mile from the office, hit the apex of a curve, and find a ford Taurus parked in my lane.
    I can't pass on the left, there's an SUV, not going right, I've been in the ditch before and it wasn't my cup of tea.

So, I brake, the rear locks up, so I feather it, and get control, same with the front, I keep it vertical and slam into the guys bumper. Next thing I know I laying in the mud.. Fearing I have a broken pelvis, I was slow to get up, plus the damage done to my junk and my pride. (Wow does that ever hurt)
    So now I’m on my knees screaming at the guy "Why are you stopped in the middle of the road" I gather my self, call 911, there on the way, I let them know they should probably send an ambulance, I'm not yet sure how hurt I am. I make a few calls to the office, towing, and then my wife. And decide to give standing a try, I get up and ask the guy I hit to help me pick up my bike, which is laying on its right side on the shoulder of the road, facing the opposite direction... ???? Not sure how it got there ???? I go get x-rays, find out I’m all in one piece, and the swelling should go away in a few days.

I'm limping along, and will be fine; I'll get some pics up later.

Damage:
    Headlight crushed, forks bent, front fender smashed, various other small items, scratched or cracked. I have not gotten a thorough inspection yet. I had the bike towed to the dealer, I went by there today to have a look, and let them know I'd need an estimate they had already completed the estimate: roughly $4500, So I'm pretty sure they will total it out, but get this, the dealer wants $50 to give me a copy of the estimate! I was pissed, but my insurance will deal with them.

So as I lay in the ambulance thinking about my wife, my 10 year old son, and my girls, 6 and 3, I decided that it's time to let go of the sport.
    I won't swing a leg over another bike for a LONG time.. I'm not saying never cause you never know, but it will be a long time before I even consider riding anything on 2 wheels again.

So if the bike is not totaled out, I'll have it fixed and will have one SWEET ride for sale.

I'll keep you guys and girls updated, and I will still be coming around to offer advice, and other useless info.

Thanks
    Chris

Man, sorry to hear. Hope you heal up quickly...
    -Steve

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that Chris, i'm glad you're in one piece but it most be terrible to quit riding. =(
      Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

man that sucks. glad you're ok. this is a fear we must face every time we ride. but you could also just as easily be hurt or killed in a cage or just walking down the street. I commend you for putting family first, just don't make too hasty a decision that you'll regret later. good luck and get well soon.

Comment

(((((((((((((((((((((((Chris)))))))))))))))))))))) ))))))

I'm soooooooo glad that you are okay! Well you know what I mean. Could have bene a lot worse. Take care of yourself and heal up quickly!!!

*More hugs*
          KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

Um.....not to make matters worse, but how will this work with insurance? I am not sure what it is from state to state, but for the most part I think hitting the rear bumper of any vehicle automatically puts you at fault. the basic rule of thumb is if you hit the rear of a vehicle, you are in the wrong. you are supposed to have control of your vehicle at all times. I am not saying it was your fault....the guy should not have been stopped in the middle of the road in a curve....but the insurance might not see it that way. it could have been a kid in the road....or kids crossing the road.
            Like I said....not saying it was your fault. Just wondering what the insurance will say about it. I know here, running with just basic liability, I would be out a bike if I hit a car in the rear....regardless if he was stopped in the middle of the road or not.

But the important thing is that you are ok. And thinking about your family is a wise and normal thing to do.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your crash Chris and hope my fellow EMTs took good care of ya in the ambo. Hope to hear that your back out on the road when your ready for it.
              Keith Paton
              Red Kat 600 00 SOLD
              13 GSXR750

Comment

Speaking from personal experience, who they hang this on will depend on why the car was stopped in the middle of the road, how long it had been there and whether or not anyone was making any effort to warn traffic behind the stopped car. Why was the car stopped in the middle of the road?

Comment

Thats too bad chris. Glad you're ok though! Heal up quick!!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your accident, as long as you are alright is all that matters now. Try not to be too quick to give up riding just yet. Give it some thought and time. Heal quick.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Can respect the decision to put family first and hang it up for awhile. Take you time and think it thru. Hold onto the bike for awhile if insurance give you the $$$ to fix it up.
                      Next spring is along ways away... you may feel differently.

Rest up. Heal up. Drink up.

Comment

GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE OK. I DONT RECCOMEND RIDING IN THE RAIN, BUT SOMETIMES WE HAVE NO CHOICE, AS IN YOUR CASE....HEAL UP FAST..
                        I HAVE A HEADLIGHT AND FEW OTHER PARTS, CHEAP, 4 YOU IF YOU ARE INTERESTED....
                        TY
                        (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

The car was stopped becasue of a small limb that was laying accross the lane, the police wrote it up as "an act of god" becasue of the weather, the limb and that being the reason he had stopped. The insurance company on the other hand lays blame on me, so not only is my insurance company liable for my damages, they are fixing the other dudes car as well..

Believe me, I am not making the decision to lay off riding without much though. as many of you will remember, 2 years ago, I put my first katana in a ditch at 45..( http://chriskatana.50megs.com/CrashPics.htm )<<photos from the last crash>> I was luck to walk away from that one. I know I'm damn lucky to walk away from this one.. Im just not sure how long my luck will hold out. and with a family, I just can't gamble on luck anymore.
                          Thank for your thoughts, and well wishes.

Chris

Comment

Bummer Chris!
                            If it's any consolation, sounds like you did all the right stuff...not much you CAN do in that situation...

Glad you all in one piece, sorry about the bike....do what you have to do to make it right.

Comment

Originally posted by chriskatana
                              The car was stopped becasue of a small limb that was laying accross the lane, the police wrote it up as "an act of god" becasue of the weather, the limb and that being the reason he had stopped. The insurance company on the other hand lays blame on me, so not only is my insurance company liable for my damages, they are fixing the other dudes car as well..
                              I kinda thought that might happen. That sux.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X