No announcement yet.
X

Trouble getting recognized at traffic lights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive also learned enough routes to get me to my destination to either avoid lights, or the ones that I come up on, there is usually enough traffic for a car to be there when I get there... plus like woobie said, you learn by trial and error which lights u can usually trip so that helps.

Ive tried a magnet before..didnt seem to do much better than when I didnt have one. If Im at a light for more than 2 cycles, I just go cautiously thru it. Plus it helps to have some cop friends in the area too

Comment

Is it 100% legal for a bike to go through a red light if it doesn't get recognized in the USA as well? Or is that just a Canadian thing?
      1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie
        Is it 100% legal for a bike to go through a red light if it doesn't get recognized in the USA as well? Or is that just a Canadian thing?
        not sure it aplies to a whole nation. just cuz I can do it here in quebec doesn't mean it's legal in alberta. so i would have to say it would vary from state to state. stop and ask a few cops. don't just stop and ask one...ask a few. one might just tell ya to go ahead....another might tell ya he will right ya a ticket if he catches ya.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie
          I don't think so man, i have seen bikers here in the Valley get pulled over because of doing that, Now I understand.
          The only thing i don't know is if they got a ticket.
          Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Wait, then go. If you have trouble with a light that you have to go thru all the time, try calling the street/highway dept and see if they can have the sensitivity adjusted.
            Keith Paton
            Red Kat 600 00 SOLD
            13 GSXR750

Comment

Its largely a judgement issue in most areas I would think..especially around here. If you were to get a ticket for doing it, it wouldnt be that hard to fight it in court and get it torn up.

Comment

you could just gain a bunch of weight!
                Katana 750 2002

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                  I stopped stopping. I just go man.
                  My first aid kit comes with lights and siren

But sir, we are Navy SEALs, we are supposed to be surrounded...

Comment

Originally posted by mrock
                    you could just gain a bunch of weight!
                    unless you gain weight by chowing down on 20lbs of raw metal, it won't do you any good. most sensors today are trigger by the presence of metal via electomagnetic sensors. full fairing bikes seem to have the most problem because the full fairings shield a big part of the bike from the sensors.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

what ya need are BALLS of STEEL, trips 'em everytime!
                      brought to you by the letter S, and the number 1

Comment

Ditto, I sat at a light for 10 minutes! would not trigger, so I waited for traffic to clear and I went, cop pulls me over asked if I knew why he stopped me. I told him I did, he asked for my papers and heads for the cruiser to write me the ticket. I stop him knowing if he gets in the car, the deal is done, we have a 5 minute conversation about how the light wouldn't change for me.. etc etc.. he finally let me go with "OK, hey man, be careful"

I will have to look up the law so I know for sure whether it is allowed or not.

Chris

Originally posted by Mojoe
                        Originally posted by smhholm
                        I used to wait for a while then go straight. Then a coulpe of cops told me just to go if it was safe. cops are not gonna write you a ticket in a situation like that.
                        well i can tell you from experience that some will try. i waited until it was starting it's 3rd cycle, while skipping mine each time before i decided to go. it was a 3 way intersection right in town and i was coming in from a less travelled direction. the other 2 get favored. it was 2am or so. a cop i did not see, saw me. he took all my papers and he was certainly intending to write me a ticket. i called bs. said no way i was paying it. i "insisted" that the law stated a motorbike could pass through a red if it is not recognized by the lights. no kidding....he called bs on me. i was a bit worried...was thinking i misunderstood the frenchman at the msf course (yes...i had to take it in french). it was a standoff. neither of us were 100% certain. he was 15 minutes in his car while i am leaning on my bike on the middle of main street...smoking a cig while people are going by gawking. i really dislike being in that situation. anyway, he finally comes back and hands me my papers...but no ticket. i basically said, "hey....sorry to burst your bubble and you couldn't write the ticket, but at least you learned something new". it was my revenge for making me spend 15 minutes as a freak show while people drive by and make wild guesses at what the guy on the crotch-rocket did.

but anyway...that was my experience with the situation. it still happens from time to time, and i just go through when i can. if there is traffic, it usually doesn't happen. although one time i was in the front and our turning lane missed a cycle. I just pulled up as far as i could and motioned the guy behind me to pull up. he triggered it.
                        i can get by without adding anything......and if a cop stops me again, no big deal. this time i am 100% certain i can do it and it kind of feels good to be able to go, "na na nana na...."

Comment

Years ago, I had one of these issues in a left hand turn lane, late at night. I had tried rocking it over the weight register, backing up and braking onto it, etc. What made it worse was that there was a cop sitting in a parking lot about 400 yards away just eyeballing me the whole time... Every time it looked like I was going to run it, he would start to roll forward, then when I didn't, he'd stop again. After getting frustrated, but knowing he was just waiting to ticket me, I jumped off the bike, walked over to the pedestrian push-to-walk button and hit it. Then, when the pedway light came on, I hand-pushed the bike across the street, got back on and resumed my travels.
                          He pulled up next to me a minute later and I hear over the loudspeaker...
                          "Wise Ass!" before he rolled off into the night.

That was 20 years ago...
                          LOL

=-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

That was 20 years ago...
                            LOL

=-= The CyberPoet
                            Damn you must be a old.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

old, and wise...

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                                Damn you must be a old.
                                You know, it's funny... every year I get older, college freshman coeds stay the same age...

=-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X