Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katitoy View Post
    Looks are much better.

If you say so
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by katitoy View Post
      Go for 1998 up year models. Looks are much better
      That's strictly a matter of opinion. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and many don't see the 98+ models as being "pretty".

In the real world, IMHO, there are some benefits to the 98-06 models:
      - Dual headlights put more light on the road and make it far easier for cagers to judge distance to you as you approach (because judging distance on a single point of light is very difficult until it gets very close);
      - The 98+ has a much larger under-seat storage area;
      - The 98+ has larger fairings which offer better weather protection if riding in foul weather;
      - Parts availability for any critical parts via the factory logistics system is guaranteed through at least 2015 (i.e. - 10 years from end of manufacture); the pre-98's are currently still supported but parts can be obsoleted at any time.

As for the 600 vs 750 debate - coming out of an ascot, you'd be very hard pressed to tell any difference between the two, and the power differences are actually smaller than the displacement differences would imply (because the 750 runs a lower compression ratio than the 600's). The real difference between the two (at least in the 98+ models) is ergonomic, primarily in the position of the handlebars due to a difference in riser clamp set-ups.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I rode a 98+ 600 . I found it to be WAY lacking in "right-now" power compared to my pre 750 . It "spooled-up" semi-satisfactorily , but torque was WAY down from the 750 . Yes , the difference IS quite noticeable . But to a beginner , either will get you into trouble quickly enough if you're a douche .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
          I rode a 98+ 600 . I found it to be WAY lacking in "right-now" power compared to my pre 750 . It "spooled-up" semi-satisfactorily , but torque was WAY down from the 750 . Yes , the difference IS quite noticeable . But to a beginner , either will get you into trouble quickly enough if you're a douche .
          Wasn't there some debate about whether your pre-750 is actually a 771 or 813cc over-bore?

Swapping between my 600 & Malloc's 750 (both 98+ ), there was very little differences until you hit close to torque peak in the upper gears... then his bike would walk away from me from 90 to 115 or so by three or four bike lengths, followed by by both of us staying in that stagger until I topped out and he still had a little bit more speed left to use...

When I compared my 600 to a pre-750 here in the area, we found Jason's pre (not that Jason) was quite a bit faster up to about 85 - 90, and then I walked past him at a good clip and kept leaving him further and further behind (in retrospect, it might have been non-stock gearing that neither of us knew about on his bike, but at the time I formed the opinion that it was probably primarily down to the differences in aerodynamics between the pre- and post-98 models)...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

while picking up KatDawgs new 750 I got the rare chance to ride and compair the pre (mine) and the post (Kevs) both 750s both with great running engines his had a lil over 2k while mine is about 8k on the rebuild. While I noticed mine has a bit more "Chit N git" Its fair to say that in the stock configuration it wouldnt be much faster then his post. However I couldnt help but notice that the Ride and feel on his is far more refined and deff. smoother then mine. We have quite a few bumpy roads out our way and while im trying to avoid the bumps like the plague Kevs glides right over them with lil to no effort. But as it was mentioned many times b-4 both will get you in trouble real fast if your not ready for it. I must agree with Scotty and CP in the style Dept. Its all a matter of opinion. I just happen to prefer the old school pre looks to the newer curvier post. But im sure theres a ton of people that would say mine is butt ugly in comparison.
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              Wasn't there some debate about whether your pre-750 is actually a 771 or 813cc over-bore?
              No debate , it's a 771 . But it only puts out about 90 to the wheel . That's about what a stock 750 puts out .....

Comment

The WiseCo 771cc kit is a 1mm overbore with a 13:1 compression ratio (up from the stock 750's 10.7:1), which means in theory it should be generating approximately 41% more torque than a stock 750 (even if there isn't any serious HP gain at the max)... and about 58% more torque than the stock 600 (which runs 11:1).

Thus, I have to conclude that your viewpoint is skewed for such evaluations, in the same sense that my sense of what defines zippy torque has been skewed by the ZX-14... Any Kat will be skewed in the opposite direction by his experiences with the Ascot.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Got a stock Cali Kat , too . Actually felt STRONGER than my 771 before the rebuild (it was in MY bike while the rebuild was taking place , actually) , when the 771 was still pushing close to 90hp . I didn't get Wiseco pistons , I got Suzi 1mm overs meant for 89 GSXR750 , and the stock head gasket (Wiseco has a thinner one to bump compression) . So "no" . I run 87oct , I have dyno sheets . I just feel quite a seat-of-the-pants torque difference between the 2 . I would almost not hesitate to whack the throttle open mid-corner on the 6 , but I would NEVER do that one the 750 .

Comment

its not THAT heavy. compared to ss or rr bikes yea its a bigger bike. You acnt beat the comfort compared to a superbike. ull be happy with it. and insurance is A LOT LESS!!!!
                    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                    Current Bikes:
                    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

you shouldn't have a problem with it at all, i have a 1999 750 and I'm 6'0 and 180 so pretty close to your height. It's comfy on long or short hauls and i have no problem pushing it or lifting it onto the center stand. Never had to lift the bike though cause its never been laid down (knocks on wood)

Welcome to KR!
                      1999 Katana 750

Comment

If you want a bike mid-way between the Ascot and a 750 Kat, consider a Honda 750 Nighthawk. Big chain and hydro valves reduce maintenance considerably.
                        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

The Nighthawk is a great bike, if you're not looking for big fairings...

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm not a fan of non faired bikes anymore. I would much rather ride a full-faired bike.

Also, The 750's don't come around on craigslist too much around where I live, but theres a different posting for 600's every day. All for really cheap too, like 1200-1500. Are the 600's just as good as the 750? I'm mostly worried about highway riding here. How do the older 600 kats (91-93) do on the highway?

Comment

Working...
                            X