X

A question about the Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about the Katana

Alright first of all, let me start by introducing myself. I'm jacob. There, now that thats done, lets move on.

I've been riding a Honda Ascot 500 for about 6 months and I am extremely comfortable on a motorcycle now. I would like to move up to something bigger, and I've been seriously considering a katana because I hear they are much more comfortable then other sportbikes (like the cbr600, which is what I wanted). I'm about 6'2 180lbs. Would I have trouble with a 1991 katana 750? I hear they weigh a lot and make maneuvering at low speeds extremely difficult/impossible. I personally want to take a lot of trips on it so I think the added weight would mean better highway riding.

So, is the katana 750 really THAT heavy of a bike? I mean, I'm pretty strong, I think I could handle it, but I really don't know.

Thanks,
    Jacob.

I have a post 750, which I believe is heavier and I don't have any problems with it at all.

Oh, and WELCOME ABOARD!!

Comment

Welcome to KR. Now that thats done..... dont believe every thing your told. I luv mine and Im 5'9 180#
      Joker
      The newest addition to the Family!
      sigpic
      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Alright. Just from the 2 replies, I am going to try to buy this bike, and if not, I would like to buy another katana 750. It seems like a great bike, I just read negative reviews, probably from the supersport riders who make up for the lack of you know what () with a really expensive, really fast sport bike.

Thanks everybody.

Comment

There are faster bikes out there. But in my opinion, the Kat is a nice balance of speed, handling, and comfort.

Comment

Yeah, I don't really care about speed. I rode my last bike, which was a single cylinder engine, so anything with 4 is going to be a huge improvement. And to be honest, as long as it does 80 without feeling unsafe, like my last bike, I'm fine with it. I'm mostly going with the katana for the comfort I've heard it has.

Comment

basicly its like this......Its by nooo means a bullet bike. What it is, is a very comfy & forgiving bike that has a bit of heft to it due to the steel frame construction. It has a very robust air cooled engine that can last forever so long as its taken care of. Its well over a 3 digit MPH bike so that will be a big upgrade for you. Ive owned quite a few bikes in my life but I have to say that the Kat has been my overall favorite to ride. And these days there found reasonably cheap.
              Joker
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah....that 750 is gonna do quite a bit more than 80. They'll all go fast enough to kill you. So ride safe!

Comment

Going too fast scares me. I'm sure I will take a bike over 100 a few times just to say I've done it, but I mostly ride because its fun, even at 40 or 50mph.

And yeah, the cheap factor is big for me too. The kat 750 I'm looking at is 1991, extremely well kept, and only $1500.

Comment

Not bad at all. KBB retail is 2075. NADA Very Good condition is 1250, excellent is 1925. The fun part is seeing how low you can get it. At least that's the part I love!

Comment

Not sure how much more the 750 is over the 600 but I'm 5'8" and 135lbs and I have no problems throwing it into the twisties.

Big plus for the great seating position and ability to ride long distances without issue.

Comment

not much difference in weight im sure. I put mine on a slim fast diet and took off about 40 pounds or so with unneeded odds N ends.
                        Joker
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm 6' 1" 200 lbs. and my Kat feels very good. It feels very heavy at a stop but when your riding it, that weight makes it stay upright. I haven't been riding for very long but it's a good bike that rides well; no worry if your not a speed demon. Mine is a 600, I don't speed but I like to have that power if I need it.
                          Grab life by the horns and punch it in the nose!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jacob. View Post
                            I hear they weigh a lot and make maneuvering at low speeds extremely difficult/impossible.
                            BS . I like to think I can out-slow most of the SS riders I encounter . It ain't the bike , it's the skillz , yo .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                              BS . I like to think I can out-slow most of the SS riders I encounter . It ain't the bike , it's the skillz , yo .
                              Joker
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X