X

Replacing the fork oil - how much?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the fork oil - how much?

I'm replacing the fork oil and have drained the forks with the front wheel off the bike. I've reassembled them and mounted the wheel, and want to fill it up. Then I remembered... crap - I may have to do this with the forks completely off the bike!

I have an old manual, not the one for my 2006 Kat 600, so I don't trust its' specs.

Can someone give me the level for the oil in the forks when refilling?

Is the standard weight 10w (which I think is about like ATF)?

I'm about 225 lbs so should I go to a 15w?

thanks!

i am about to do this as well because my 97 sinks way too much when i brake (3 inches!)

I have been told to use 20w oil and it should work better for my weight ( i am also 225)

sorry but i only have the pre kat manual......
    97 GSX600 w/ 9,363mi = $300 (Deal of the century)
    94.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics

Comment

For my 2001 750 the stock fork oil level is 102mm (4 inches) down from the top. The capacity is 513mL.

However, I'm pretty sure the 600s have less fork travel, therefore less oil capacity.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

More important than the AMOUNT of oil you put in is the LEVEL of the oil in the fork tubes. Get the correct HEIGHT for the oil & follow the procedure in the manual. I also suggest you get the CORRECT manual for your bike if you are going to be doing this kind of work on it. Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

to the OP

i just found that i DO have the post kat manual in PDF
          if you give me your email, i will send it over.....

according to it, it calls for 499ml of oil on each tube....
          97 GSX600 w/ 9,363mi = $300 (Deal of the century)
          94.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics

Comment

ATF is around 15w, which is what I use in my Honda. I used 10w in my Katana with no problems, and I am 215 lbs. I also did the 10 Cent suspension mod as well, which I think helped a lot.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
              ATF is around 15w, which is what I use in my Honda. I used 10w in my Katana with no problems, and I am 215 lbs. I also did the 10 Cent suspension mod as well, which I think helped a lot.

What is the 10-cent suspension mod? I'm sure interested since i've got it all apart.

Comment

Originally posted by noodle View Post
                What is the 10-cent suspension mod? I'm sure interested since i've got it all apart.
                It is alterering pre-load on the fork springs via longer or shorter spring spacer, usually longer.

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Use 10 weight, in the best synthetic fork oil you can find. Don't use ATF fluid...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                    It is alterering pre-load on the fork springs via longer or shorter spring spacer, usually longer.

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55851

I've heard of this working well in other bikes too. Mine seems to have good springs in it, but then it's an 06 with 1200 miles on it before the PO wrecked it. Thanks for posting it for me.

Comment

Like was said, don't use ATW. I learned in Iraq that 10w is good for just about everything except probably antifreeze!

"________ is leaking and we don't have anymore ____________ fluid"
                      "Throw some 10w in it" - my platoon sergeat

Comment

Working...
                      X