stock frontend, NOT!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock frontend, NOT!!

NOT!

I have just made a adjustment using 1" od pcv to my forks. It is much smoother on the long ride. Not as much nose dive like the stock setup. I want to thank Sinfulkat for the help with this!

I cut a 1" OD pcv pipe to 9 1/2"
    Removed the stock 7 7/8" sleeve
    installed new seals
    fresh fork oil to suggested level according to the service manual
    (sinfulkat reccommends cutting the pipe to 9")
    Note: compressing the end cap is difficult with the 9 1/2" pipe
    I had to stand on the footpegs and use a 1/2" drive ratchet with lots of elbow grease.

If you don't have the money for a complete racetech setup this is the way to go (thanx again for the 411 sinful)

in this picture you will see the part being replaced is number 22
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Dollar for dollar the cheapest fork up grade going..
    I still might go to 20 Wt oil though...

Comment

I did and don't reccommend that. too stiff and it feels like the frontend is rock hard when hitting some bumps
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

OK, the cost of this mod and I stress performance mod. No chrome here, sorry. LOL

I could only buy the pcv pipe by 5 foot or 10 foot sections. I went for the gusto and bought 10 feet for $2.99 us out the door. I used all of 19 inches of it for my bike and 18 inches for Katana91's bike. of course I had to replace my fork seals but not to put these in. you don't even have to change the fork oil. So I would have to say it might cost a total of $.03 us per fork.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        Who knows what is next?

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
          I did and don't reccommend that. too stiff and it feels like the frontend is rock hard when hitting some bumps
          Good to know!! Thanks Thom..

Comment

Cool , cut me up some !
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

just be careful you don't break the damper adjusting rod when trying to put the cap back on

Comment

Help me out here. What does sticking PVC pipe into your forks do for you? Is it a travel limiter? Does it add preload to the springs?

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                  Does it add preload to the springs?
                  Bingo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                    Originally posted by THAZKAT
                    Good to know!! Thanks Thom..
                    FWIW i put 15 wt fork oil in (mixed half 10 half 20) and I even think this is a little stiff, probably would use 10 or perhaps mix just a smidge of 20 wt in (maybe 3/4 10, 1/4 20) although if you are a little bigge then me (i am 170-180) and like the suspention a little harder this may be the way to go.
                    also I never tried adjusting my forks after this, so i may be able to soften it up.

As for the mod, would this give the suspention less travel?

what about the pcv chipping/shattering (clogging things up, dangerous mid corner failure) i know it is brittle and i have no idea how it would act when soaked in oil.... would make me nervous... thoughts, am I too anal? is there a metal alternative like stock?

-Tyler

Comment

Originally posted by tylerc
                      FWIW i put 15 wt fork oil in (mixed half 10 half 20) and I even think this is a little stiff, probably would use 10 or perhaps mix just a smidge of 20 wt in (maybe 3/4 10, 1/4 20)
                      I wasn't aware you could actually do this..
                      In fact I thought CP shot me down when I asked about it..

As for the mod, would this give the suspention less travel?
                      Yes. But hopefully adds enough preload that you don't hit it..

what about the pcv chipping/shattering (clogging things up, dangerous mid corner failure)
                      I too would be worried about that..
                      I used stainless steel parts.

I could dig you up a pair if you like.
                      I installed them between the spring and the washer..
                      discribed here:

Comment

UPDATE

I just got back from my bi-weekly brake practice..
                        I got the front to lock up. After doing a little "look around" the bike I noticed the front fork bottomed against the lower tree.. So this mod does NOT
                        reduce fork travel!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Cool , cut me up some !
                          he was telling me how he had it strapped down to the side of the bike to bring it home....bet it was a fun ride w/ that floppin in the wind..

Comment

Do what you gotta do . I mean c'mon , who HASN'T strapped some wierd sh!t to their bike before . I had a Claymore strapped to the side of mine once . I kinda enjoyed that . Maybe I'll do it again .... :-k
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              I had a Claymore strapped to the side of mine once . I kinda enjoyed that . Maybe I'll do it again .... :-k
                              The land mine or the sword?

Comment

Working...
                              X