X

kat oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aznthundrhed View Post
    I used K&N filter with a valvoline motorcycle 4-stroke 10W40 from autozone, I hope that's not a problem.
    My experiences with the Valvoline indicate that while it's good when first going in, it breaks down from heat far faster than any other oil I've ever tried in the Katana's. Thus, while significantly cheaper, it needs to be changed more often in hot weather (enough so that it offset the savings in Florida's hotter months).

I'm not aware of any issues with the K&N oil filter, but I've never used one myself either

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I like Amsoil. It's slipperier than AstroGlide
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        I like Amsoil. It's slipperier than AstroGlide
        I didn't even know Amsoil made a product in that category!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just switched to Rotella 5W40 synthetic.
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

what is energy conserving oil? and why cant you use it? Not that I ever have, just curious what the difference is.
            92 Kat 600
            mods so far:
            -96 750 engine -04 gsxr1000 rear fairings -02 gsxr 1000 6" rear wheel -and f upper fairings -190/50r17 tire -custom extended swing arm -02 gsxr rear brakes -520 chain conversion -gsxr forks and front end -undertail exhaust -04 yam r1 pegs and shifter -750 rear suspension -+2 rear sprocket -minus 1 f sprocket
            www.myspace.com/waltwallace

Comment

Originally posted by walwal63 View Post
              what is energy conserving oil? and why cant you use it? Not that I ever have, just curious what the difference is.
              An "energy conserving" oil (marked in the lower ring of the API symbol) is an oil that contains special friction modifiers to make it slipperier and thus reduce metal-on-metal friction rates, especially in very tight-tolerance locations (such as where the rings mate to the cylinder walls). Although these changes only make for a very small fuel savings in cars designed to use such oils (1 to 3% typically, compared to earlier oils), over the entirety of the US vehicle fleet, the save literally millions (or even billions) of barrels of oil per year.

The problem is that these same friction modifiers will coat the metal plates (and often the friction plates) of wet-clutch motorcycle clutches, and thus leave the clutch plates slipping under load because of the modifiers. Thus, the only motorcycles that, by definition, can use such "energy conserving" oils are ones that either have separate wet-clutch reservoirs not shared with the main engine oil (certain HD's come to mind), or use a dry-clutch (most Ducati's, some MV Augustas, some Benelli's). As far as I know, no motorcycle manufacturer to date has engineered a shared-oil wet-clutch solution designed to work with energy conserving rated oils (although there are rumors BMW has been working on it).

Hope that's clear enough.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Are there any brands that you can find at the local wal-mart or advanced auto? I am sick of paying $45+ an oil change for the honda oil.
                Last edited by paintmann111; 04-01-2009, 08:31 PM.
                2 bikes

'82 GS650G
                '94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
                  Are there any brands that you can find at the local wal-mart or advanced auto? I am sick of paying 4-5$ a quart for the honda oil.
                  $4 - $5 is cheap for motorcycle motor oil.
                  I typically pay $8 - $10 for my oils...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    My experiences with the Valvoline indicate that while it's good when first going in, it breaks down from heat far faster than any other oil I've ever tried in the Katana's. Thus, while significantly cheaper, it needs to be changed more often in hot weather (enough so that it offset the savings in Florida's hotter months).

I'm not aware of any issues with the K&N oil filter, but I've never used one myself either

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    How would I tell when I need to change the oil in the Katana? Will it also turn darker in color? I had it in in there for about 150 miles now.

Comment

Originally posted by aznthundrhed View Post
                      How would I tell when I need to change the oil in the Katana? Will it also turn darker in color? I had it in in there for about 150 miles now.
                      Well, obviously by the oil interchange. Aside from that, the only real way to know is to test the oil, either by sending a sample out, or by checking it yourself (should still feel slippery between your fingers compared to a new batch of the same brand/type oil). To make that easy, the Fumoto Valve (a petcock valve that replaces the oil drain bolt) does let you take out just a little bit to check it.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by paintmann111 View Post
                        Are there any brands that you can find at the local wal-mart or advanced auto? I am sick of paying 4-5$ a quart for the honda oil.
                        Yeah, Shell Rotella 5w40 and it's fine for your clutch also. 1 gallon jug $23.
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

kat oil

is it really any better than the generic stuff you can get at advance auto

Comment

I ment to say "find oil for 4-5$." I pay a lot more for that honda stuff.
                            2 bikes

'82 GS650G
                            '94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by kycycles View Post
                              is it really any better than the generic stuff you can get at advance auto

Yes.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-40 and an OEM filter. I have been happy with it thus far. $12 a quart but I will shell out the green if it helps extend the life of my Kat.

Also, I have a quick question. I recently received an EMGO oil filter for my Kat 750 from a buddy. Does anyone have any experience with these filters?

Comment

Working...
                                X