X

kat oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericker View Post
    Also, I have a quick question. I recently received an EMGO oil filter for my Kat 750 from a buddy. Does anyone have any experience with these filters?
    I know their air filters have caused some headaches around here (look like Suzuki OEM, but don't provide quite as much resistance to air-flow, thus making the carbs run more lean).

No clue on their oil filters.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Alot depends on where you live.

CP is in Florida..and pretty much anyone in the deep South...meaning hot temps and humidity. The Katana relies on air to cool the oil. So that means hotter temps in hotter climates when at slower speeds / idle / traffic etc.

I use Mobil 1 15w-50 fully synthetic during the Spring / Summer, and when temps drop I go to Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40. I change the oil at 3K miles or so change the filter (OEM Suzuki filter) every other change.

The Mobil 1 15w-50 has put up some impressive numbers in oil tests in air cooled motorcycle applications. It is a non-energy conserving oil. I usually pay about $22-25 for the gallon jug at a Wallyworld.

Google Bobistheoilguy and start reading.

Plenty of road in this area is already plowed, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

oil

Originally posted by kycycles View Post
        is it really any better than the generic stuff you can get at advance auto

the reason i say that, is because i have a car that i have had for 15 years. it has 225,000 miles on it and i have ran nothing but generic through it since i bought it when i was 16(partly because i could not afford the expensive stuff) This car has been drivin hard and still runs great.

Comment

I used the pro Honda 10w40 a few changes ago, and it was sludge in 1500 miles. I change my oil between 3-5k miles, closer to 3 if I've been doing a lot of city riding.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by kycycles View Post
            the reason i say that, is because i have a car that i have had for 15 years. it has 225,000 miles on it and i have ran nothing but generic through it since i bought it when i was 16(partly because i could not afford the expensive stuff) This car has been drivin hard and still runs great.
            Bet you the car wasn't air-oil cooled, with above a 10:1 compression ratio and an 10k+ Redline
            But as long as you compensate for it (earlier/more frequent oil changes), and strictly stick to oils that are suitable for wet-clutch use, shouldn't be too much of an issue...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-02-2009, 06:54 PM.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X