X

Upgrades and Mods for the new year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLACKDEATH View Post
    How is it too cold to ride but not a snow laiden state? If it wouldnt get below low 40s here I would ride daily year round. I Only stay off the bike when its colder than that because I dont want to risk hitting black ice.
    Combination of clothing and humidity.
    If you're doing 60 mph at 59 degrees F with 50% humidity, according to the Air Force open-cockpit tables (suitable to our situation as riders), the wind-chill factor should equate to 33 degrees F (just above freezing). Now drop the temp by 20 degrees and increase the humidity into the 80-95% and the rider is effectively quite a ways below freezing. Unless he has special gear designed with something like Gortex, he's not likely to ride in it when it's 40 degrees outside... and at least in Florida, finding Gortex or equivalent winter-gear is neigh on impossible (what I have is from Germany).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The coldest I've ridden was in the teens. But I ride to work all the time with 30's for the low and 50's or 60's F for the high. Too bad my bike is still down or I'd be out on it now! It's nice having a big garage to work on the bike, when there's snow on the ground! Too bad my bike's in my friends garage, getting painted still. I want to ride!

It's driving me nuts not having my bike and having days in the 60's all week.
      Representing the Pre's! Updated my Garage so have a look!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        Combination of clothing and humidity.
        If you're doing 60 mph at 59 degrees F with 50% humidity, according to the Air Force open-cockpit tables (suitable to our situation as riders), the wind-chill factor should equate to 33 degrees F (just above freezing). Now drop the temp by 20 degrees and increase the humidity into the 80-95% and the rider is effectively quite a ways below freezing. Unless he has special gear designed with something like Gortex, he's not likely to ride in it when it's 40 degrees outside... and at least in Florida, finding Gortex or equivalent winter-gear is neigh on impossible (what I have is from Germany).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Well maybe. IDK. I dont have proper geer fot the weather I will ride in. just long undies and my race leather. And the leather is perf. I only quit riding in 30s because a small patch of black ice cost me a tail section and subframe a few years ago. I decided it wasnt worth that again. Then again its prob better and smarter for the guys that dont ride in the freaking cold weather. so props to them for using there heads bout safe riding weather.
        Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
        6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
        5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by coggs View Post
          Just waiting for the salt to get washed off the roads and I can start the following upgrades and mods

1. Replace orig. engine (65000 mles) with '99 post with 18500 miles ( £95)
          2. Fit 4-1 Scorpion silencer and '99 downpipes to replace 4-2 system (£60)
          3. Re-cover purple seats with nice new black vinyl (£7)
          4. Remove paint from purple rims and polish
          5. Remove stickers and replace with custom white or chrome (£20)

Almost forgot - carbs from new engine also!
          Update

Seat recovered -

Carbs stripped and cleaned - bowls full of red stuff but jets good.

Tinted screen with spray tint - not sure!

Possibly rethinking sticker removal after reading posts on here.

No engine install as yet as waiting on exhaust hanger - still!!

Additions
          Fit carbon hugger
          Clear coat front forks
          Polish grab rail
          Remove rear shovel and tidy up plate/indicator mount

Ever since I bought the replacement engine, old one seems to be running better than it's ever done - does it know?
          Last edited by coggs; 03-14-2009, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coggs View Post
            Carbs stripped and cleaned - bowls full of red stuff but jets good.
            Red stuff? That means your gas tank is full of rust and needs to be de-rusted before you go any further...

CyberPoet's "How to Eliminate Gas Tank Rust in your Motorcycle"

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, carbs are off the '99 bike the new engine came from. If you remember my tank has had all the water removed and a big magnet stuck underneath to collect anything left - no problem since. Keep the water out - no rust!!

Comment

Big magnet or no big magnet, it really needs to have the rust removed -- rust begets more rust even without water. Too poor to buy chemicals? Use water and sand and gravel -- and shake the mix up until you scrape it all out.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Here is a thought I had. I remember seeing a post with the malt vinegar removing rust. It does. Has anyone tried to fill their tank with it and let it sit to remove the rust? I don't know what damage this would do to the sending unit, so remove it and make a plate to cover the opening before filling.

Go here: http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm
                  Last edited by Kfreak; 03-14-2009, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X