Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Riding without Insurance - is this someone you know?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by md86 View Post
    the skills test is a JOKE in this state . Or at least it was several years ago when I got the "M" on my license
    Apparently it's a walk in the park in TN too, however if you ride your bike up there they will not administer the test. It either has to be trailered or an endorsed rider has to bring it to the testing station.

I'll always ride with insurance, but for now I'm forgoing the M until I get popped for it.
    -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Originally posted by STS View Post
      Apparently it's a walk in the park in TN too, however if you ride your bike up there they will not administer the test. It either has to be trailered or an endorsed rider has to bring it to the testing station.

I'll always ride with insurance, but for now I'm forgoing the M until I get popped for it.
      careful if you wreck without a valid license, then insurance companies might not cover you.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

me and about six work mates all got our bikes at approxamitly the same time.and of the six only three of us i think got our m endorsment. and my bike insurance is so cheap i cant see not having it paid. i got a no insurance ticket in my first car and after that huge set of fines no thnx. i think im paying somthing like 600 dallors a year for all 4 vehicles. much cheaper than 1000$ ticket. dallas has finnally steped up their no insurance lose your car and i think its great.

Comment

Um , I don't know what it's like THERE , but HERE you have to have the permit first , ride with IT for a little while , THEN you can go get your "M" , which means you can legally ride your own bike (or someone ELSE'S as many do to "cheat") to the testing site because you should still have your permit . I mean , permit is required to even TAKE the test .... BTW , I passed MINE on a full-dressed virago . THat's one of them cruisers with ALL the stuff bolted on , including a stereo . And freakin ACING the test on THAT bike shows how much of a joke it is here .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Haha MD I know I need to get my full license, I need to AT LEAST get another copy of my permit. It's the same license number as my cage license, but having the card would eliminate a lot of trouble. As for the full license, yeah I need to get it. But if I do...then I get yelled at for having a solo seat

I payed for the bike, strange women didn't, ya dig?
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I wouldn't even think about doing it without insurance. If I just bought the bike, I would ride it home with tags from my other bike, in order to get it home. I wouldn't ride it after that until it was registered and tagged legally. I would be very cautious on the ride home and wouldn't do anything stupid to draw attention to me.
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

In NC you take just the written to get a valid M permit. It's valid for 1 year. Limitations are no passengers and no driving after dark.

If you do get pulled over without the M endorsement, you get a ticket. Show up in court with said endorsement, it's tossed out no fee.

Driving with no insurance on the other hand... is a alot more serious.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
                  according to the cops on another forum here locally, the helis do about 140 mph. The liter+ bikes on the interstate will walk away from them, albeit slowly...
                  Eh! Thats good to know. My bike will go 40+ mph faster than a copter. lol. Dont plan on ever testing that info tho. I perfer no issues on the street. My insurance sux as it is and i dont want it any worse with a ticket on record. Ill Try and keep my high speeds at the strip.
                  Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                  6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                  5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

i have a license , a regestration and insurance the only thing i do not have is a state inspection sticker
                    BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

I've been riding off and on for just over 22 years. I had a permit a few times when I lived in So Cal, but ended up getting rid of the bikes I had at the time and let the permits expire without taking the riding test for the endorsement, but having the permit when I was actually riding kept me legal most of the time (except when I took the wife along for rides). I bought my Kat back in '96 and in OR if you only have a permit, you can't ride unless you are accompanied by an endorsed rider following you on another bike. In my small town I didn't know anyone with the legal endorsement, so never bothered to get the permit. I've always had insurance on my bike, and had a valid license for the car, but I also can count the times I ever rode further than the corner store, or my friends house 1 1/2 miles away on one hand, and that's out in the country where you might see 3 cars pass down the highway in an hour. Once I found some semi local riders online last spring, I went ahead and got my permit, then as soon as I had time I went and took my riding skills test so I'm fully legal now, and will remain so as long as I am breathing. I will say the riding test was pretty easy for me since I've been riding the Kat for so long. I stopped at the DMV the weekend before I had my test scheduled when they were closed, and rode most of the test course with the wife still sitting on the back with no problems. I only had to have her step off to do the cone weave section of the course.
                      John,
                      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                      sigpic

Comment

In Calif riding without the M is a 'major violation' akin to a DUI. It kills your car and bike insurance rates for 7 years (lose CA good driver discount). It's also a misdemeanor so they put you in bracelets instead of writing a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
                          according to the cops on another forum here locally, the helis do about 140 mph. The liter+ bikes on the interstate will walk away from them, albeit slowly...
                          You not going to outrun a heli on a bike. Even if they only did 120 mph they can fly a 1/4 mile up and still follow you from 5 miles away. Besides you can't outrun the radio.
                          on the ground you may have a chance but in the air your screwed
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Military Rules

I have a permit, insurance, registration etc. but I find myself pushing it when it comes to hours of darkness since I can only ride during daylight hours with a permit.

What sucks most if that I went through the MSF course with the military but apparently its not good enough to get my license endorsed and waivered through the State of Hawaii. I would have to take the road test or go through the State's MSF course which is $200.

Being active duty army stationed in Hawaii they make it difficult for you to ride a bike. You need: permit/license, registration, safety, MSF card, AND local eval card certifying you on your bike(s). If you own 3 bikes you need 3 eval cards and all the above for each. Then of course you have to wear long sleeves, pants, boots, reflective gear, gloves, etc. at all times which is understandable.
                            //2003 Katana 750//

Comment

Originally posted by nut_flush View Post
                              In Calif riding without the M is a 'major violation' akin to a DUI. It kills your car and bike insurance rates for 7 years (lose CA good driver discount). It's also a misdemeanor so they put you in bracelets instead of writing a ticket.
                              Wow!!! Really???
                              2007 Honda CBR600rr
                              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post
                                I live in a relatively small city and I don't think we have a chopper, but man would that be a crazy ride getting chased by a heli I don't think id be up for that one
                                sheboygan with a helicopter? lol haha i highly doubt that...

i know ill get flamed for this but i dont have any of the three at the moment... i dont have my license as i havent taken the course yet but i do have my temps so im not a complete idiot. i never registered the bike under my name as i bought it as a project bike and was not sure if i could get it workin correctly and if not i would just part it out. i also dont have insurance on it at the moment because once again i had no idea if i could get it runnin right...i drove it on the road twice...once to get it home and once to c how it ran after i worked on it

Comment

Working...
                                X