Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Riding without Insurance - is this someone you know?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
    Yeah, I dunno how that works. It's not a scenario that I'd like to either find out or experience. That and I suck at lying to cops, they get me everytime. I just don't lie to em anymore

Haha yeah, good call on that one! :mrgreen:

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    Riding with another bike doing the speed limit. Trooper goes to pull us both over. I'm the only one who stops, other guy guns it and passes a car in front of us.

Cop was very nice as he wrote me a ticket for "Reckless driving, estimated 98+ in a 45".

Tried to fight it in court... and was laughed at, by both the judge and the Officer.

Trust me... If they run... you might get some backlash even if you don't think your doing anything wrong.

Krey
    How can they possibly nail you with speeding if you weren't. You said you were doing the speed limit, so how does that all work out?
    Last edited by streebs93; 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by streebs93 View Post

How can they possibly nail you with speeding if you weren't. You said you were doing the speed limit, so how does that all work out?

In NC, "Reckless driving" is only an "observed" offense. They see you doing something they feel fits in that category and you get a ticket. It's 3 points worth of ticket btw for insurance purposes. Since it was not a speeding ticket (wasn't clocked or anything) they just used other means to determin the speed estimate was correct.

In this case.. it was how fast the trooper sped up to catch us once he decided to pull us over, and then when I showed them the math (no way I could have been traveling that fast in the distance stoped) the trooper flat out lied and stated it was 4X the distance, he "measured it".

No reason he would have, but I did. At that point, he looked at the judge, winked. Judge stated "yeah, those chryslers are pretty fast cars..." and I knew I was screwed.

Might have done better with a lawyer, but then I'd have paid him more than the fine and insurance increase. So I took the chance.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket? My judge said well you are guilting, after a city cop said i was doing 71 in a 55 outside city limits (in a city that cannot use radar as prima facia evidence) and his only info was got him on radar. and after i caught him, he goes oh yeah you looked going fast on a crotch rocket(bike cannot even be confused as a crotch rocket).

So how it works.....cop says you are speeding, you pay ticket.

as for riding no insurance, if it is against the law in the state they are doing, then i guess that they cannot get a license or register the vehicle as many states are cracking down on it. People like that are the reason i am paying underinsurred and uninsurred insurance.

Hope they have the decency to stop when they mess up someone else's property, but i wouldn't count on it.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Simple. They wer getting pulled over for something that didnt really matter. guy with him ran. Cop got ****ed and wrote that ticket. When he showed up in court it was a guy with a sportbike that got a ticket for a low ball high speed. Everyone just assumes he is guilty. cop lies and he gets screwed. As much as people want to believe that our gov is perfect and wants to help. That isnt exactly the case.

I Was leaving the dragstrip back in 05 with 2 guys. Me on my bike. (was just lowered at that time). They wer both on R6's. I knew one of there names. Didnt know the other. When we left the 2 wer screwing around at around 60mph. I got sick of watching it so rapped out first and seccond gear real quick and let off. Ironically A cop passed right after I let off and was coasting down. I got pulled over. I knew the road. And there was no way to get out of it. Well since I did get stopped they managed to get away. The cop was pretty cool with me considering I just got pulled over for 108 in a 55. I wa quite concerned when he asked how I was running at the strip? My tire was still blistered from the burnout box.
          Then he asked bout the others. All I could say was that I didnt know them. It was mostly true. Well after about 30 minuts I got a call from an unknown number. Well the cop told me to answer it. App the one guy that I knew the name had my number somehow. Well He got nailed. And he totally ratted out his buddy and blamed me. Luckly The others went to back for me. I am actually friends with the other guy now. And the cop was nice enough to only write me up for 84 in a 55. That way he didnt have to arrest me or impound my bike.
          Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
          6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
          5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            In NC, "Reckless driving" is only an "observed" offense. They see you doing something they feel fits in that category and you get a ticket. It's 3 points worth of ticket btw for insurance purposes. Since it was not a speeding ticket (wasn't clocked or anything) they just used other means to determin the speed estimate was correct.

In this case.. it was how fast the trooper sped up to catch us once he decided to pull us over, and then when I showed them the math (no way I could have been traveling that fast in the distance stoped) the trooper flat out lied and stated it was 4X the distance, he "measured it".

No reason he would have, but I did. At that point, he looked at the judge, winked. Judge stated "yeah, those chryslers are pretty fast cars..." and I knew I was screwed.

Might have done better with a lawyer, but then I'd have paid him more than the fine and insurance increase. So I took the chance.

Krey
            Man. NC police are the worst at giving tickets! I lived there for 4 years and I got like 3 speeding tickets.. I've driven in cali for like 10 plus years and have never got one ticket for anything.
            http://www.rollinhardriderz.com
            http://www.myspace.com/hostyle742

sigpic

Comment

Up here if you get caught with out insurance it's a $5000 fine. Some guys are stupid and try using fake insurance slips. But these days the Cops can call on the spot and verify your policy number with the insurance company.
              Kyle

Comment

i'm a firefighter in jacksonville n.c nex to mcx camp lejuene / and there is a lot of marines that ride "race/tricks" around here in the summer we have about 2 calls a day about bike recks"1050" is the code we use most of them don't make it. on monday i was going down I 140 when i cam around the corner there was a guy on a r1 going 120+ then sudenly he lost it hit the cable gard rail and ended up 100 yrds away well he made it but only because he had proper gear. but i bet he still felt it later
                sigpic

Comment

Ok...I think I'm a good candidate for this discussion.

Bought first bike 6/07.
                  Got bike permit insurance and registration 6/07
                  Lost actual motorcycle permit card 2/08
                  Bought second bike 5/08
                  Got insurance on second bike 7/08
                  Registered second bike 11/08
                  Still don't have the card with my permit on it

I'm an idiot, yes. I got extremely lucky to not have been pulled over. I'm never doing that again. Everytime I stopped I prayed that there wouldn't be a cop behind me.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Here in Ontario its a min $5000 fine.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Well, Two bikes to different profiles
                      My 05 600 has Full coverage on it
                      my 98 750 Dont have Jack on it (which i do need to adjust in the future)

Some states (like FLA) dont require insurance on owned bikes (if you have the title in yer grubby paw). Since the Bike spent most of its first year apart in my garage, i never put the insurance on it. Now that she is getting Road worthy Time to make a trip to State Farm and add the 750 to my plan.

Comment

Hmmm... why WOULDN'T you insure a katana? I'm 19 and had my bike liscense and car liscence for less than a year and still only pay 380 A YEAR for basic coverage. I know in NY state they will know if you take insurance off or let it lapse by not paying it. They revoke your plates (which you have to bring to the dmv) and after 30 days if they are not back they charge you per day. dont know the cost though... may have to step it up to full coverage this year with the 1100 stuffed in there...
                        Out there we are all brothers.

96 Kat 600 "bobtastic"

Comment

Us military types have to have all our papers. The last time I remember riding without insurance was the early 80s before it became mandatory.
                          Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                          Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by bagyo View Post
                            Man. NC police are the worst at giving tickets! I lived there for 4 years and I got like 3 speeding tickets.. I've driven in cali for like 10 plus years and have never got one ticket for anything.
                            TELL me about it . I pulled a cop over to ask directions , and ended up getting a ticket .

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            Ok...I think I'm a good candidate for this discussion.

Bought first bike 6/07.
                            Got bike permit insurance and registration 6/07
                            Lost actual motorcycle permit card 2/08
                            Bought second bike 5/08
                            Got insurance on second bike 7/08
                            Registered second bike 11/08
                            Still don't have the card with my permit on it

I'm an idiot, yes. I got extremely lucky to not have been pulled over. I'm never doing that again. Everytime I stopped I prayed that there wouldn't be a cop behind me.
                            Hey kid , the skills test is a JOKE in this state . Or at least it was several years ago when I got the "M" on my license . Just go do it and get it over with .
                            Last edited by md86; 02-06-2009, 05:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                              Us military types have to have all our papers.

Plus, here in the UK, they have cameras mounted in the patrol cars that automatically run your plates for Road Tax, Insurance, and if the car/bike is reported as stolen or not.

Plus if you get caught without any insurance, they confiscate the car/bike and can have it crushed and you have to pay huge fines. It's not worth it at all.

Plus to ride on base you need to have all your documents.
                              Best Link Ever

MANBABIES!!!

Comment

according to the cops on another forum here locally, the helis do about 140 mph. The liter+ bikes on the interstate will walk away from them, albeit slowly...

Comment

Working...
                                X