X

The 6 hour oil change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sux!!!
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
      This is the same kind of claw-type wrench I use. It not quite exact, but it's close. It uses the same principle in that the harder it is to spin off the filter, the stronger the clamping force is applied to the oil filter.

And it uses just a 3/8" rachet and extension.

Same idea,never ever need more than a minute to turn a filter loose.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
        This is the same kind of claw-type wrench I use. It not quite exact, but it's close. It uses the same principle in that the harder it is to spin off the filter, the stronger the clamping force is applied to the oil filter.

And it uses just a 3/8" rachet and extension.
        Works great until you get an oil filter with a big nut welded on the front end

I've never heard of a failure using the OEM filters with the OEM filter wrenches... Seems like the simplest solution under the sun.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
          Is this something you do 'cause you already have the header off when removing your oil filter? Or do you have REALLY bad carbon build up? Or do you clean the outside of it? Just curious....
          Nah it's not necessary. It does make removing the filter about 50% easier but it's not required. I do it to just clean everything out. I clean every inch of my bike by hand at least twice a year, I'm talking every single inch

On a side note, the stock exhaust on my bike is nasty. I had to keep her outside under a cover from May-August of last year under a tarp, and the scratched up sections on the midpipe and can tarnished really badly. The header seems to burn water on along with dirt so I just take the opportunity to clean it off and get some of the carbon out. Why not for my baby right

(I know I'm a lunatic...)
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Well at least you could feel your fingers when you were done. my car hit the 3000 miles mark oil change interval. went to auto zone and got a filter and oil. went out and changed it in the 5 degreee temps. when i got inside to wash my hands the water was on warm and as soon as my hand touched it, it burned really bad., not the best decision
            Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
            Current Bikes:
            1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
            2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
              Well at least you could feel your fingers when you were done. my car hit the 3000 miles mark oil change interval. went to auto zone and got a filter and oil. went out and changed it in the 5 degreee temps. when i got inside to wash my hands the water was on warm and as soon as my hand touched it, it burned really bad., not the best decision
              Get a fumoto valve for your car. Makes the change process about a 5 minute job.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

When I got mine last year I did and oli change ASAP....... bought a suzuki oil filter and filter cap tool that attaches to a socket. Took me about an hour as the filter on it was not a suzuki one, so the tool was just a bit too big. Like you, tried a strap wrench I ran to the auto parts store to get.... no room from the headers. Took the strap part off and wrapped it on the top of the filter and pounded my suzuki one on it and finally broke the thing loose! Next time I hope it will be easier as I have the same tool that fits the filter on it! Need to do an oil change at the start of this riding season, but also thinking of at least changing the plugs and perhaps checking/adjusting the valves, as it has 10k miles.

Comment

Working...
                X