X

The 6 hour oil change

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did we learn here today?

Don't put the damn oil filter on with a wrench ! Only hand tight.

Use an OEM filter and proper filter wrench.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Fullmetal View Post
      I'm sorry to hear that man. You never expect an oil change to be a big deal. I will refrain from commenting on the K&N and leave that for someone else, but it looks like those things are just bad luck. :P
      There is nothing wrong with their oil filters, it's the air filters that suck on the Kat.
      sigpic

Comment

Okay, I must have ate my Wheaties last time I did the oil change. I have changed the oil many times and always with the K&N filter. No problems, except this time.

Live and learn......

Comment

stop scarring the kat newbs(me) with all the problems lol.

j/k

if my filter gives me trouble ill order that filter wrench and if that doesnt work ill just bi*th and moan about it until i get one of those claw wrenches

Comment

I will stick to the OEM oil filters -- never an issue... But the filter really should be more than hand-tight (book calls for just barely touching the seal plus two full rotations after that). If I thought the K&N's were better, I'd sell them instead of the OEM filters (see link in my signature for how to order OEM filters for $8.50, end-cap wrench for $4.50).

Meanwhile, I think I have the ultimate stubborn oil filter removal tool: Chain Wrench. I got one for a couple bucks out of JC Whitney back in the mid-80's and it's always served me well whenever I came up against a stuck filter of any sort on any vehicle. You can find the big ones in the plumbing section of most hardware stores (typically 14 to 24"), but there are also smaller versions specifically made for oil-filter purposes (9 - 12") available from some automotive specialty shops... Here's one on eBay as an example:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260349075158

Originally posted by hughwrath06 View Post
            I work on large trucks and we have this quick connect oil drain that you replace the drainplug with. when you want to drop oil you just uncrew cap and quick couple a drain hose. i wonder if they make smaller versions of this system. makes oil drop a lot cleaner. Still doesnt help with the filter
            The thing you're talking about is available for the Kat, and it's called the Fumoto Valve (need model F111). No hose, no nipple needed because of the orientation of the drain pan. Runs about $25 - $28 delivered typically. There are other brands out there, I'm sure, but I know for a fact (and seven years of service on the Kats) that the fumoto will hold up to the elevated engine temps at their worst with zero issues.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 01-26-2009, 07:30 PM.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
              There is nothing wrong with their oil filters, it's the air filters that suck on the Kat.
              Beg to differ... Check this out: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

This is the same kind of claw-type wrench I use. It not quite exact, but it's close. It uses the same principle in that the harder it is to spin off the filter, the stronger the clamping force is applied to the oil filter.

And it uses just a 3/8" rachet and extension.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Screwdriver through the oil filter works fine for me everytime, spin the new one on as tight as I can get with my hand then tighten the clamp down.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Screwdriver through the oil filter works fine for me everytime.
                    Does the header get in the way of the screwdriver?
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Only if you stab it from the wrong angle .....
                      I use the K&N's ALL the time . For like the last 6 years or so . I ONCE had a problem with mine , and that was that I didn't put it on tight enough and it started to drip . No big deal , get out the 14mm socket and snug it up a bit .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                        Does the header get in the way of the screwdriver?
                        I drop the headers on my bike and clean them as part of my oil change schedule. However, using the screwdriver method the filter can be removed without removing the headers if you are patient enough to do about 1/4-1/2 turn at a time.

On a side note, I ALWAYS drop the filter as soon as it comes unscrewed completely, nice big plop into my oil bucket
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          I drop the headers on my bike and clean them as part of my oil change schedule.
                          Is this something you do 'cause you already have the header off when removing your oil filter? Or do you have REALLY bad carbon build up? Or do you clean the outside of it? Just curious....
                          02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                          90 GSXR 750/1216
                          96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                          87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JimG4652 View Post
                            Is this something you do 'cause you already have the header off when removing your oil filter? Or do you have REALLY bad carbon build up? Or do you clean the outside of it? Just curious....
                            Ditto Im curious about that too that must suck ...any how 2 full turns is crazy that would pull the threads out of an oil filter wouldnt ya think?....Mines only hand tight
                            1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
                            2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
                            sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
                            Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
                            A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Typical Cyberpoet response...all questions answered completely! I got my filter "wrench" from Cyberpoet...who better to give my money to. Thanks Marc. I will be in touch soon for a filter. It's cheaper to have it shipped from CP than buying locally at the dealer.

Comment

Working...
                                X