No announcement yet.
X

New to Kat-Riders. (Katana VS SV)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol, the 750 sounds like a good idea, as long as it doesnt add yet another 100 pounds to the bike.

Comment

I would break it down into duty-cycle:

If you ride primarily in urban congestion, typical ride under 30 miles, or carve canyons, the SV will be the better choice.

If you ride long distances, do a lot of higher-speed driving (highway speeds for 30+ miles a ride), need an all-weather commuter or are pushing the bike into a sports-touring role, the Kat is the better choice.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
        oh so you dont need to rejet with a slip-on? nice.

Most of my driving is on highways and interstates. So fuel range (Tank size) and comfort is my big concern, and everyone says the katana is the more comfortable sportbike (and i use that term liberly) made.
        So then the Kat wins, hands down!
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Every time I tell myself that maybe I should have given more thoughts to getting an SV (because of sportier feeling, more parts, etc...) I remember the one and only time that I sit on one and felt so much pressure on my wrist when I gripped the handlebars.

The Kat is still sporty AND comfortable.
          I went for the 750 and I'm really happy with it.

Comment

Well , why don't you try to ride both bikes for a couple of hours if you can . On words it's easy to take an opinion ... but practically the one who's going to ride a new bike is you !!

Comment

I had the SV 650 and the KAt. I loved the SV if your looking for Twisty Fun Go For the SV Started every time Road like a dream. The Kat Has been a good bike to I ws the only one who had the SV in my town Now every one has one so I now have the KAT.....

Comment

I might have the chance to buy a SV1000S with full fairings and twin yoshimura's for abour $3,000.
                It was for sale next door to my shop and the owner sold it to his employee, but I talked to the guy and he said hes actualy looking for a harley, and that when he sells the SV then I will get first shot.

Comment

i also would not reccomend the 1k over the 650. to me, the 650 is the total package. the 1k feels heavier, which i thought felt awkward. the 650 just felt quicker and more balanced.

Comment

my 2cents the katana is super comfortable and the 750 i had gave me plenty of power. when i replaced my kat i got a vtr1000 a vtwin and love the power but miss my katanas comfort. the katana really is a great bike but is a compleatlly different machine than the sv. unless you are going to be ridding aggresively everytime you ride id get the kat. i wish i had went with a bandit 1250s simply because its a more relaxing ride. my next bike will be as comfortable as possible just so i can speand more time on the road and less stretching my back.

Comment

FWIW, the SV650 TOTALLY kicked the chair out from under the GS500 racing class. Everybody switched over, pronto, and the poor little GS500 had nobody to ride it on race day.
                      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I've owned all 3 bikes mentioned here: GS500, SV650, and now on my second Kat 600. I can pretty much second and third (fourth?) what everyone's been saying here. I really didn't like the SV on the freeway, I felt blown around and somehow unprotected. Where i did like it was in the twisties...pure joy! The GS5 was good for around-town blitzing, but was really lacking on the freeway for sure. The Kat works just dandy for about 90% of the riding I do now which is anything from short commuting to all-day touring. It's fairly comfy, but can be buzzy at speed, which my SV was not. You get the full fairing, and very stable feeling on the freeway with fairly good around-town manners. It's a no-nonsense UJM that looks like a sportbike.

Comment

Working...
                        X