X

New to Kat-Riders. (Katana VS SV)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kat-Riders. (Katana VS SV)

im about to sell my old Kawi vulcan, and im planning on eather buying a Katana or a SV650S. Now I know this is a Kat forum so obviously im expecting katana bias, but thats fine.

But uhh yeah... guess im asking for yalls opinions.

Not ridden a SV. I prefer the full fairings to be honest. Love the kats though, great all around bikes. They can get up and go, decent in the curves, and comfortable to ride long distances.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I've never ridden an SV, but I know twins in general have a much broader torque cuve than the 4 cylinders, so you shouldn't have to work the clutch and transmission as hard on a spirited ride as you would on a Katana (especially if you're looking at a Katana 600). I believe the SV is quite a bit lighter, which would make it easier to flick in the turns, along with being watercooled, which would be an advantage if you live in a hotter part of the country. Aftermarket support for the SV should be a lot better than it is for the Katana, since a lot of people are using them as track bikes. I prefer the high rpm pull of a 4 cylinder, and probably wouldn't ever spend much time on a race track, so I would probably look for a Katana 750. I have a friend that rides a Vstrom 650, and it doesn't seem to have as much get up and go as my 600 does, but then again it may just be the rider.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

yeah my biggest concerns is not letting it tip over on me due to the weight.
        I like in Alabama and I ride a GS500 which is aircooled and im not having a problem with it. Eather bike is a step up from my GS. I've never owned a full faired bike before. So its something new for me to experiance. I think the SV650S does 0-60 in like 3.5, while the katana is around 3.7 i think. But im not planning on tracking the bike. But I would like to know if the Katana uses a slip-on style, or if its more of a Cut and weld on like my GS. I would probably see if Leo-Vince makes a slip on, or yoshi. Then again im not big on trying to rejet 4 carbs... so I might just leave it stock. Im finding Katanas in the classifieds for 3k, so getting one isnt gonna be a issue when my Vulcan sells. Anyway, nice forum, Im liking the community so far.

Comment

Well they are 2 different bikes:

SV = low rpm torque
          Katana = higher rpm torque (this is basically v-twin VS 4-cyl)

Then, Kat = heavier, but, SV = less confortable.

So, if you want something more ''peppy around town for joy rides'', it's the SV. If you want something to ride longer distances and that you don't need to dodge semi's with, I say Kat.

Muffler = slip on, no need to re-jet on just a slip-on.

Comment

oh so you dont need to rejet with a slip-on? nice.

Most of my driving is on highways and interstates. So fuel range (Tank size) and comfort is my big concern, and everyone says the katana is the more comfortable sportbike (and i use that term liberly) made.

Comment

do a search and you will find this topic has been discussed many times SV is fun and light weight, more aftermarket support. Kat is comfortable and pretty much bulletproof reliable but it does have some weight to it. so it really comes down to what you want and what are you going to do with the bike.
              sigpic
              2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

lol yeah I shoulda searched. My fault.

Comment

gas mileage wise, I'm not sure about the SV, but my Kat 600 gets right at 50mpg riding 2 up on the open highway or in the mountain passes averaging 65mph, it drops considerably (closer to 35mpg) when I'm pushing it hard riding solo. I know the Vstrom gets slightly better when riding solo.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                    lol yeah I shoulda searched. My fault.
                    lol, I didn't mean it that way.... just thought you'll find more info that way
                    sigpic
                    2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

no no, im usualy the one that tells people to do a bloody forums search. Im just loling over the fact that I dont even take my own advice.

Comment

You are looking at 2 bikes built for 2 different things.
                        If you are looking for a sporty bike go with the SV. It is lighter, more agile and tons of fun to ride. It practically turns its self when you think about turning or changing lanes. It is also a great track bike if that is your thing.

If you are looking for a more mellow bike that has a more relaxed ride, but can still get up and move if you have to go with the Kat.

if you are looking for a Sport Touring bike go with the Kat. If you are looking for a good sport bike go with the SV.

Comment

Welcome. I had the same dilemma; good opportunity on a Kat 600 and an SV. I chose the Kat because it was more comfortable than the SV. That was the selling point for me. But everyone is different and if you like it, then it's a good choice no matter what you choose *cough* Katana *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by Archer View Post
                            oh so you dont need to rejet with a slip-on? nice.

Most of my driving is on highways and interstates. So fuel range (Tank size) and comfort is my big concern, and everyone says the katana is the more comfortable sportbike (and i use that term liberly) made.

I've owned both a Kat 600 and an SV650, and your statement tells me that you want a Kat. The SV absolutely SUCKS on the highway! If i had the Kat to do over again, i would definitely go for a 750 for the extra power. Good luck!

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                              Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                              MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X