Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Possible Way For Westerners To Attend The Rally?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
    Then again, why would BMW be so overly concerned about a bunch of adventure-Amera-yuppies whining that their recreational bikes broke. I'm pretty sure BMW gets their major road evals from daily riders on euro hell-roads, not wannabees that "brave" the dangerous 405.
    I think a lot of it is venting of anger over the drive-train issue (and hoping BMW will see it and step-up to the bat) -- the last thing you expect after spending $18k - $27k for a top-of-the-line über-tourer is for the thing not to last 15k miles from date of break-in before stranding you somewhere due to a complete drive shaft failure. The shaft drives over the last several years have had a couple different (IHMO engineering) failures that proved problematic across several models, including common failures at the shaft support bearings by CV/Universal close to the pumpkin, and the seal(s) adjacent to it.

The secondary problems are that BMW has refused to acknowledge it as a systemic failure across their fleet (better hope it fails while you are still under warrantee, or you're out $4k!) -- and the re-engineering efforts in subsequent model years from the date of first-introduction of that particular drive-shaft system have been minor band-aids (change in the bearing type) instead of a full-on redesign to eliminate the potential of the problem in the first place.

All of this is compounded by the fact that BMW claims the shaft oil is a "lifetime oil" requiring no change or maintenance -- something that 1000 miles a day fully-loaded negates effectively, it would seem, running that oil hot and deteriorating both the bearing and the seal.

Lord knows, I'd be awfully pizz'd if my almost-new BMW failed on the road -- and honestly, knowledge of this systemic failure actually dissuaded me from buying a K1200 this past summer.

I did note that the new K1300 models all claim a revamped drive-shaft system, but whether it's more band-aids on the existing design or a truly new design is beyond me...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
      Never understood the logic behind towing a perfectly good/operational vehicle. especially a sport TOURING motorcycle ride it?

If I could ride mine to the US I would, just to be at the rally.

Tok

Comment

Uh, folks, can we get back to the original subject? That being, the means for Western US Katriders to attend the rally? And maybe, by extension, our over-seas bretheren, too?

Here's another suggestion- a fund to give modest grants to those far off who want to attend but can't come with all the money they need to make it.
        "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I"m not far off I90 in Minnesota, and am more than willing to put someone up for the night, and offer the garage for any maint/repairs possible here. Could even prolly fetch someone broke down within a hundred or so miles, or even more with some gas money help. fixed incomes really stink
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
          X