Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Possible Way For Westerners To Attend The Rally?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post

now that's my kind of riding buddy!!!! You got i!
    Since when do you make stops longer then to load or unload starbucks coffee or gas?

I thought you liked running the dragon on zero sleep in 30+ hours
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
      ... but the man denies himself sleep on the road far too often for his own safety!...

Learned my lesson last year. I'll be much more sedate this time around.

Originally posted by steves View Post
      I thought you liked running the dragon on zero sleep in 30+ hours

One can only tempt fate only so many times.

Originally posted by steves View Post
      So if the big guys' not ready... we should try to get a tow service ready for you? just kidding!

You suck.
      Last edited by tdrcomm; 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      sigpic

Comment

You suck.

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Going to be a hopefully big summer for me.
          Depending on the timing, the Rally will be a tune-up for the Iron Butt competition.
          No one has even started, let alone finished on a Busa.
          sigpic

Comment

Depending on the timing, the Rally will be a tune-up for the Iron Butt competition.
            Go get 'em Tom! Show them what a few bucks of super and starbucks can get done.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

If a number of you actually want to ship bikes, I can work a cheap deal to do it... probably $350 each way or so. OK, that's not cheap, but for many it's cheaper than taking the time off work in both directions.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

A quote directly from the Iron Butt Rally website:

My goal:
                Make them eat every last word.
                Every vowel, every consonant.
                sigpic

Comment

A quote directly from the Iron Butt Rally website:

My goal:
                  Make them eat every last word.
                  Every vowel, every consonant.
                  If it makes it possible for me to hug you once a year ... GO FOR IT MY FRIEND !!!
                  Guylaine
                  Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by GSkyX-R1000 View Post
                    If it makes it possible for me to hug you once a year ... GO FOR IT MY FRIEND !!!
                    If they don't accept my application... there's always Canada.
                    Two hugs in one year!!! Saw-Wheat!!!

The Iron Butt Rally
                    11,000 miles in 11 days... I think I can do that.
                    sigpic

Comment

If they don't accept my application... there's always Canada.
                      Two hugs in one year!!! Saw-Wheat!!!

The Iron Butt Rally
                      11,000 miles in 11 days... I think I can do that.
                      Isn't that about how many miles you did in 2007? (I mean for the two weeks you were riding for the rally that is).
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

No one has ever started on a busa??? Seriously? That's odd.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Perhaps it should all be reworded:
                          People who tend to buy Suzuki's instead of HD's & BMW's $20k+ flagship products often don't have the time & resources to worry about iron-butting for certificates, but instead simply go places because "they need to get there," or because they wanted the journey for itself.

The concept that a Bandit 1200/1250 configured appropriately (Givi bags, Corbin saddle) wouldn't be at least as good a choice as virtually any of the HD's is patently false; thus, the fact that HD's are well represented (another high-dollar brand) leads me back to my initial conclusion -- that there is a money-correlation involved.

I would love to see Tom do it on a Busa. I don't see any reason it couldn't be done

I did my longest stint in the saddle (2200 miles sans sleep, Scottsdale AZ to Clearwater FL) on a Honda 450 -- albeit, not fast enough of an "average time" to qualify for any Iron-Butt certs because of the top speed of the bike (about 88 down-hill with a stiff tailwind ) and national speed limits at the time that were 55 mph and very heavily enforced. It's an accomplishment I never hope to repeat on any bike or in any car -- it was just too many hours on the road without sleep, and reflected the folly of youth in that sense...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Iron Butt people are just... butts. Very obvious the promoters are WAY biased twards Yuppiebikes... I mean BMW's. The ENTIRE wording of that self-serving blurb is such that it glorifies the BMW's at the expense of EVERY OTHER MAKE THEY MENTION. Of course, they are careful to not mention Honda and Triumph, two companies who make excellent sport-touring bikes. No, it just wouldn't do to have the great tin god BMW shown up in their own little insular, incestious circle-jerk, by a Japanese and a British company.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by StevieB View Post
                              No, it just wouldn't do to have the great tin god BMW shown up in their own little insular, incestuous circle-jerk, by a Japanese and a British company.
                              Bravo for wonderful wording! I fixed your little spelling error, though......
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I totally agree. I so want to pull up on a Busa and say, "Let's have at it."
                                From reading the website they come across as somewhat elitist snobs. The Aerostitch uber crowd.

Sometimes it backfires, though:

Then again, why would BMW be so overly concerned about a bunch of adventure-Amera-yuppies whining that their recreational bikes broke. I'm pretty sure BMW gets their major road evals from daily riders on euro hell-roads, not wannabees that "brave" the dangerous 405.

Their presumed self-importance is funny. I had a friend that owned a Virago that could do 11000 in 11 days like it was a run to 7/11 and back.

What ticks me off is that when you look at what it takes to compete in the Rally, the bulletproof, simple, and indestructible Kat would kick most of those bikes butts. The Kat was built for this kinda stuff.

Last edited by tdrcomm; 11-10-2008, 07:44 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X