X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hallj22 View Post
    Started the stage one kit over weekend with a buddy. Turned out to be a bigger project than I thought. Didn't have a few tools that I should have had, almost stripped a screw on the carb bowl, ect. Will hopefully finish it tomorrow evening.
    Yeah. Didnt want to discourage you but those kits often bigger jobs than they seem to be. You'll get it. Ripping my carbs apart again tonight too. You'll be in good company.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Started her up for the first time since October!
      Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
      ~Author Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by crimsontracer View Post
        Yeah. Didnt want to discourage you but those kits often bigger jobs than they seem to be. You'll get it. Ripping my carbs apart again tonight too. You'll be in good company.

No worries there. I was going to do it regardless. If I messed it up to much I could always replace parts. This is my first bike. Had go-carts growing up, raced them a little, worked on many different vehicles as well. So this is just another notch in the belt.
        Treat everyday like it's your last....

Comment

• Changed oil (Mobil 1 10w-40 4T), changed plugs, Coil Relay mod, changed headlight bulb (Sylvania Silverstar Ultra), greased speedometer gear (no change, still wobbles), changed clock batteries (clock still stays at the same time), greased chain, and installed a voltmeter in the dash.
          '92 GSX1100F Red/Maroon

Comment

• Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
            look for a small dent in fork tube- from a rock? mine leaks a small amt after new seal was installed.
            I inspected it at overhaul time and there were no dents that I saw. However, the exposed shiny metal tube does have some rust speckling to it. I did the "slide the seals on with a plastic bag over the tube" thing, but they still must have gotten slightly worn by the speckling. Oh well, I'll just top them off with oil each year until it gets so bad I can't stand it anymore, then replace those tubes (or the whole assemblies)... It's not like I ride very much. I just hit 110 miles for the year so far.

Today was the first ride in however many weeks since that test ride. It's been alternating between too blazing hot or too rainy to ride. No decent weather at all until tonight. Just did a quick 5 mile ride to the store to pick up some oil for my car...

The Kat was making a interesting and louder "click-click" from the front end than before as I rolled it out to the driveway. I decided to ride anyways, but stick to slower city streets. Fired up like it hadn't been sitting at all, that was a nice surprise. This bike is so random. It can sit all Winter long and fire up fine, but put it on stands for a few weeks while the forks are off and it was hating life. Right front fork is showing some wetness under the dust seal now, and the left front fork has a few drops on top of the dust seal... Clicking sound was gone when I got home. Everything here has been so damp I wouldn't be surprised if it was brakes even though it sounds like the speedo sender. The wheel bearings seemed perfect when I spun the front wheel on the axle before attaching the brakes, so I don't think it's anything life threatening.

Life with old vehicles I guess. My "newer" car (a '95) has bizarre scraping sounds from the back end that multiple shops (in addition to myself) have not been able to identify. Been doing it for years now, and we even swapped a whole axle/hub as a unit on the side of the noise (to replace a bad bearing, so much rust the axle never would come out of the old hub) without any change. My regular daily driver (a '91) has an intermittent squeal (sounds like brakes) that we've never been able to find either. Real frustrating when nothing shows any sign of wear and you can't duplicate it under controlled conditions, but it does it in normal driving all the time!

Comment

• Though about kicking it over because a problem arose out of no where that is just going to set me back further..
              Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
              ~Author Unknown

Comment

• Finished syncing carbs. Put her back together. Rain rain go away!

Comment

• Picked up a nail in my rear tire on the way to work. Noticed it handling a little odd the last few miles in, checked the tire, it's low (just filled it last week) spin it around a bit and yep. A nail. Dammit.
                  Had to have my girlfriend drive the 65 miles out from her ace to where I work and pick me up. Taking the truck in tomorrow so I can pick up the bike, pull the tire, plug it, and ride on.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                    Picked up a nail in my rear tire on the way to work. Noticed it handling a little odd the last few miles in, checked the tire, it's low (just filled it last week) spin it around a bit and yep. A nail. Dammit.
                    Had to have my girlfriend drive the 65 miles out from her ace to where I work and pick me up. Taking the truck in tomorrow so I can pick up the bike, pull the tire, plug it, and ride on.
                    Ouch. On the suck scale of 1-10 thats got to be a 100. Luckily, I have not had to experience that yet on my bike. My 4-runner is a different story Seems I am always picking up a screw or nail. Hope its plug-able.

Comment

• Just got my TomTom Rider and Laminar Lip. Install this weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by hallj22 View Post
                        Ouch. On the suck scale of 1-10 thats got to be a 100. Luckily, I have not had to experience that yet on my bike. My 4-runner is a different story Seems I am always picking up a screw or nail. Hope its plug-able.
                        Naw, that's a 2-3. 100 would be A major crash totaling you and the bike. 50 would be blowing a motor while touring in another state. 25 would be snapping that cheap volar chain some are using and busting your shit up and possibly crashing....
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Yeah, definitely not a 100. Pain in the ass but can't bitch too much about it if the leaky tire didn't cause me to crash.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Why not? It wasn't your nail..
                            Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-24-2015, 08:33 AM.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• gassed up and rode Moonshiner 28
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• Tired of people trying to low-ball me on my Kat. I know what it's worth, and it's worth riding it for another month.

Relisenced it and rode it today
                                2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                                - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X