X

New issue with the project 02 Kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New issue with the project 02 Kat 600

Alright, so two weeks ago my father and I had the bike running and it was running really well.Adjusted the idle and got it spot on 1300 RPMs and that's where it stayed for the twenty minutes that it ran, snapped the throttle and it came right back. Now for the issue, got it started today and it idled perfectly until the throttle got above 3000 RPMs and then when let off, the RPMs only dipped to 2500 RPMS where it sat and idled..Could this be an issue within the throttle cables or within the carbs? Carb #1 is leaking as of right now and Chris said it could either be the float height or the gasket isn't seated correctly which I could see the float height affecting how the bike ran. So here's the basic run down, had to free up a sticking throttle, Carb #1 is leaking, still need to install the new plugs, idle adjusted to 1300 RPMs, sticks at 2500 when risen above 3000 RPMs, so any advice or experiences with this happening? I would use the search function but I'm on my cell and it doesn't work on it for some reason.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
    ~Author Unknown

For what its worth, if you go to Google and type site:katriders.com after whatever you are searching it will give you all the links you want.
    1993 Katana 600

Comment

Honestly brother, I can't tell you exactly what the problem is. I know whenever there is a problem, everyone says it's the carbs. I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. I've done this before. You say everything worked great when you first installed the carbs. That would lead me to believe the carbs are/were not the problem. If there is even a little sediment in your fuel/fuel tank, that makes the carbs function poorly again real fast. The fuel filter won't help at all. The filter does it's job for big chucks of debris. The little stuff, that causes the most problems. It doesn't filter that. I can't say for certain why carb #1 is leaking. I can assure you that I did everything on your carbs that I do on every other set of carbs. I don't cut corners to save a buck, and I pay attention to all the little details. If you want to blame me and say I suck at carbs, go right ahead, I'm sorry that your bike isn't running perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Honestly brother, I can't tell you exactly what the problem is. I know whenever there is a problem, everyone says it's the carbs. I have a pretty good idea what I'm doing. I've done this before. You say everything worked great when you first installed the carbs. That would lead me to believe the carbs are/were not the problem. If there is even a little sediment in your fuel/fuel tank, that makes the carbs function poorly again real fast. The fuel filter won't help at all. The filter does it's job for big chucks of debris. The little stuff, that causes the most problems. It doesn't filter that. I can't say for certain why carb #1 is leaking. I can assure you that I did everything on your carbs that I do on every other set of carbs. I don't cut corners to save a buck, and I pay attention to all the little details. If you want to blame me and say I suck at carbs, go right ahead, I'm sorry that your bike isn't running perfect.
        I wouldn't blame you, you did your portion and you did it correctly. Just annoyed as to how the problem just all of a sudden appeared one day, it's hard to track it down but I'll start with the most obvious issues. I'll let ya know what was up with #1 when I get the carbs off of the bike.
        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Start with draining the bowls. As for arsenic's carbs. You never know how they were handled during shipment. My second or was it third set from him came in a slightly crushed box. I went threw them and had to reset a float and replace a bent choke actuator. Not a big deal.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

That's the main thing with something as sensitive as Carbs, Chris does his part and does it well until the shipping company gets their hands on them. No matter how nicely packaged they are, the shipping company will find a way to flub up.
            Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Start with draining the bowls. As for arsenic's carbs. You never know how they were handled during shipment. My second or was it third set from him came in a slightly crushed box. I went threw them and had to reset a float and replace a bent choke actuator. Not a big deal.
            ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by fury8793 View Post
              No matter how nicely packaged they are, the shipping company will find a way to flub up.
              Ain't that the truth.

Comment

USPS isn't too bad. UPS will beat the crap out of what ever you ship guarantied..
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

USPS isn't too bad. UPS will beat the crap out of what ever you ship guarantied..
                  I ship USPS almost exclusively. Mainly because Priority boxes are free and they pick stuff up at my house. All packages are insured also.

Comment

If there is even a little sediment in your fuel/fuel tank, that makes the carbs function poorly again real fast. The fuel filter won't help at all. The filter does it's job for big chucks of debris. The little stuff, that causes the most problems. It doesn't filter that.
                    What's the best way to get that kind of stuff out of your tank/fuel delivery system? I'm doing my carbs right now and don't want my fuel delivery messing them up again.

And FedEx will drag them behind the vehicle like they were just married.
                    1993 Katana 600

Comment

Use Por-15 to clean a seal your fuel tank.

Comment

It would honestly suck if the carbs got debris in them after all of the hard work that Arsenic put into them.
                        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by fury8793 View Post
                          It would honestly suck if the carbs got debris in them after all of the hard work that Arsenic put into them.
                          Once they are really cleaned, recleaning the jetting isn't very hard.

Comment

Once they are really cleaned, recleaning the jetting isn't very hard.
                            My prior experiences with rebuilding bikes are all two strokes, 90cc, 125cc, 250cc and a partial on a 500cc. A Mikuni carb were on my 91 CR 250, that was fairly straight forward. This being my first big bike build I wanted to have the pro do it while I fiddled with other rinky dinky bulls#it. Possibly may have to shoot some questions your way in the near future.
                            ~Author Unknown

Comment

Go to Wal-Mart, but a gallon can of Berrymans Chem-Dip. It comes with the dip tray thing. Take all the jetting, the main, starter, pilot, needle jet, and needle jet holder. Remove the o-ring from the needle jet holder. Soak them all the a day. Blow all the jets out with an air compressor. Verify you can see light through all of them. Reinstall, ride. Soaking the needle jet and needle jet holder is probably over kill and totally unnecessary, but what the hell.
                              Last edited by arsenic; 07-21-2015, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X