No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuff I've been doing to "my" 2001 Katana 600!

The bike actually belongs to my 21yr old nephew, but I'm the uncle (aka FREE motorcyle mechanic) with all the tools, know-how, and until mid May, the only one with a valid motorcycle license. He bought it last November, after I test drove it and then I trailered it home since it was way too cold to drive it.

Per my suggesting he's been riding a scooter for the last couple of years and will be taking the Motorcycle Safety course this coming weekend, in hopes of getting his license. For the time being, I've purposely kept the bike in my garage (2 hours away) and have been taking him to isolated roads to learn how to ride his "new" bike. He's a great hard-working kid and actually pre-paid for all of the necessary maintenance/upgrades the $1,600 bike needed. Hence, I've been keeping track of the budget, ordering parts, installing them, and then sending him pics of the progress. We normally work on his cars together, and he really would have liked to work on the bike too, but then that would have cost him so much missed riding time here in Illinois. He's a good mechanic, and I'll be going over everything with him, so that he know's how to work on it, as needed in the future.

Anyway, here's a list of everything I've done to it so far:
    - New DID X-Ring chain.
    - New Oil change and new filter.
    - New brake fluid.
    - New grips (*Do use compressed air to get grips on/off - Make's it so easy!)
    - Replaced sparkplugs with OEM NGK's. I actually found 2 different pair of plugs in it, and they weren't even NGK's. It was really running rough and now I know why.
    - Cleaned carbs.
    - Adjusted Air/Fuel mixture.
    - Installed frame sliders.
    - Upgraded lights to H4 "Xenon filled" bulbs. I know these aren't HID lights but they give off a nice bright white light that light up the road really nice at night. I can finally drive it at night with confidence!
    - Replaced all other factory bulbs with new ones. just wanted to do it while I had the whole bike apart.
    - Replaced numerous hex fasteners with new ones. Not sure why but almost every fastener on this bike was stripped.
    - Fixed the speedometer. The speed sensor rotor looked like a flat washer (and didn't have any raised tabs), so that's why the speedo wasn't working. Luckily, the part only cost $15 from Suzuki.

Future Upgrades (for later this week)!
    My COATS 5060E tire changer broke down (need to fix the bead breaking air cylinder) and as soon as my new seals come in (and I install them), I'll be swapping out the mismatched tires with new Michelin Pilot Road 4's. I'm going to yank off the sticky weights and try dyna beads too (1 ounce in the front and 2 ounces in the rear).

That'll be it for this year. What's interesting about this bike is that it has a really nice power band at about 5,000+ RPM. It has a Stage 1 Kit and Yoshimura pipe with a stock 17 tooth front sprocket and an aftermarket 48T (not the stock 47T) in the rear. Kind of a weird set up, right??? Once he's been riding it for a few years, I might upgrade the front sprocket with a smaller one for better off the line performance. Until then, I think it's plenty fast for being his first ever motorcycle.

Omar

Comment

• Originally posted by ovilla View Post
      The bike actually belongs to my 21yr old nephew, but I'm the uncle (aka FREE motorcyle mechanic) with all the tools, know-how, and until mid May, the only one with a valid motorcycle license. He bought it last November, after I test drove it and then I trailered it home since it was way too cold to drive it.

Per my suggesting he's been riding a scooter for the last couple of years and will be taking the Motorcycle Safety course this coming weekend, in hopes of getting his license. For the time being, I've purposely kept the bike in my garage (2 hours away) and have been taking him to isolated roads to learn how to ride his "new" bike. He's a great hard-working kid and actually pre-paid for all of the necessary maintenance/upgrades the $1,600 bike needed. Hence, I've been keeping track of the budget, ordering parts, installing them, and then sending him pics of the progress. We normally work on his cars together, and he really would have liked to work on the bike too, but then that would have cost him so much missed riding time here in Illinois. He's a good mechanic, and I'll be going over everything with him, so that he know's how to work on it, as needed in the future.

Anyway, here's a list of everything I've done to it so far:
      - New DID X-Ring chain.
      - New Oil change and new filter.
      - New brake fluid.
      - New grips (*Do use compressed air to get grips on/off - Make's it so easy!)
      - Replaced sparkplugs with OEM NGK's. I actually found 2 different pair of plugs in it, and they weren't even NGK's. It was really running rough and now I know why.
      - Cleaned carbs.
      - Adjusted Air/Fuel mixture.
      - Installed frame sliders.
      - Upgraded lights to H4 "Xenon filled" bulbs. I know these aren't HID lights but they give off a nice bright white light that light up the road really nice at night. I can finally drive it at night with confidence!
      - Replaced all other factory bulbs with new ones. just wanted to do it while I had the whole bike apart.
      - Replaced numerous hex fasteners with new ones. Not sure why but almost every fastener on this bike was stripped.
      - Fixed the speedometer. The speed sensor rotor looked like a flat washer (and didn't have any raised tabs), so that's why the speedo wasn't working. Luckily, the part only cost $15 from Suzuki.

Future Upgrades (for later this week)!
      My COATS 5060E tire changer broke down (need to fix the bead breaking air cylinder) and as soon as my new seals come in (and I install them), I'll be swapping out the mismatched tires with new Michelin Pilot Road 4's. I'm going to yank off the sticky weights and try dyna beads too (1 ounce in the front and 2 ounces in the rear).

That'll be it for this year. What's interesting about this bike is that it has a really nice power band at about 5,000+ RPM. It has a Stage 1 Kit and Yoshimura pipe with a stock 17 tooth front sprocket and an aftermarket 48T (not the stock 47T) in the rear. Kind of a weird set up, right??? Once he's been riding it for a few years, I might upgrade the front sprocket with a smaller one for better off the line performance. Until then, I think it's plenty fast for being his first ever motorcycle.

Omar
      Wish I had an uncle with all the tools and time in the world!

I sure hope he appreciates what you do for him. Keep it up!

Originally posted by cuda2832 View Post
      Well, after installing the Yoshi can about two weeks ago, didn't like the popping on decel, so ordered a jet kit. Installed that, and of course cleaned everything while in there. What a huge difference in the mid range as well as throttle response. Also, while i had the carbs out, decided out check the a/f settings. Plugs were still in so drilled them out. Carbs 2,3, and 4 were all just about 1.5 turns out. #1 was fully seated, must have been that way for the last 17 years! obviously bike runs much better now. Also took a shot at syncing after putting carbs back on and setting idle and warming up. So, lots of long overdue maintenance.
      Did you find that your A/F screws helped increase/reduce the throttle response?

My throttle response is outrageous right now. I twist 5 degrees and I'm at 7,000RPM. Seems a bit much to me!

[QUOTE=dano68;2347690]
      Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
      Never heard of the stuff. I'll have to look into it!

You can pick it up at Canadian Tire or any auto parts supply. not only is it a great lube it is a cleaner as well
      NICE! Fellow Canadian KatRider

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to pick some up.

Originally posted by loneraider View Post
      ++++1
      Kerosene to clean chain and fluid film to spray on
      chain.I usually let it soak in for a while and wipe off any excess.

Fluid film video FYI..
      Great post! Thanks for the youtube video. I'm putting it on my "grocery" (code-word for tool - can't let the Mrs. see that I'm buying more shop stuff lol) list.
      2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
      - Aaron

Comment

• Found a 15" X 15" cargo net today!!

Today I went to Naperville Motorsports to order an OEM air filter and while they were looking up the part, I was checking out their small retail section and lo and behold a cargo net for only $6.95.

Bought it and then installed it in the parking lot. It fit perfectly! Yes, I'm excited about a damn cargo net. I've been telling my nephew about stuff he might want to get for the bike and had just mentioned the bungee cargo net the day before. He's a college student so the cargo net will come in real handy.

Comment

• Drained my tank. Pulled the petcock. Rebuilt it. Installed. Testing it tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that it fixes my fuel problem on start-up.
          - Aaron

Comment

• Oil change done, Fumoto valve installed.

Oil changes just got easier!

This one was a little later than most...amazing how much it improved the shifting.

Comment

• Last time I was out riding somehow my rear caliper bolts backed out and left my caliper hanging from the trailing arm.
              Put some new ones in and all seems to be good once more.

It was VERY unsettling coming up to a stop and my foot goes straight down with no pressure!

Comment

• Hope you put some locktite on the bolts
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Hope you put some locktite on the bolts
                  +1

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

• Blue loctite was used

Comment

• "Today" is more like this past week, but upgraded the front springs to Racetechs, changed the fluid and seals, and put on Pirelli Angel GTs. Night and day difference from before
                      "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

• Cleaning out the carbs at the moment. Sanding this horrible paint job and prepping for matte black.

Comment

• Got the Kat all buttoned up last Thursday. Ran 2.5 tanks of gas through it this weekend. I can't BELIEVE the difference with RT springs and cartridge emulators. Got into them and found that some yahoo had been there before and forgot to put the rebound spring back. So new springs, rebound springs, cartridge emulators, inner/ooutter bushings, oil seal, dust covers, and for oil. Wow what a difference! It was running a little rough Friday. Tightened down the airbox and intake boot clamps and synced the carbs and now she's running great!! Feels so good to be back on two wheels.
                          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

• Got my gasket kit in today. Iiiiim not so sure of its quality. It's from Taiwan and doesn't look too sturdy :/ I guess we'll see. Though I'll be very upset I get the entire bike back together and have to tear it down again.

Now I just need to find a set of piston rings and bearings to really get moving.
                            '88 Suzuki GSX1100F streetfighter project

Comment

• Custom GPS mount over the weekend.

Comment

• Yesterday I re-opened my petcock to double check my work. Something didn't seem to be working correctly. Sure enough, I installed the plastic rotator for the selector knob incorrectly.

Didn't bend anything, but the fuel wouldn't flow the way it was supposed to (played with my petcock in water LOL).

Got my petcock properly working, installed it on my Kat. Sure enough, fired right up after 30 seconds on prime. Thank you fellas for helping me with my fuel issues!!!

Late last night I installed my two switches in my plastic surround, and kept working at my wiring harness for my HID's. Getting close!. Weather-proof plugs came in the mail yesterday

So close to having my Kat fully functioning. Waiting on my OEM throttle cables in the mail. Might be 1-2 more weeks
                                - Aaron

Comment

Working...
                                X