What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the low-cost frame sliders

Originally posted by suzuki99 View Post
    I did a mod that another fellow member did on here(hardlydangerous thanks). Got myself a set of set of Frame Sliders Crash Protector Yamaha YZF 600R No Cut Black Extended from ebay($20 with free shipping). Did a small mod to them, drilled the frame and installed using a smaller bolt. I'll tell you, I am glad I did, cuz a week after I installed them, I dropped my bike at really low speed and the frame slider did it's job! See attached pic on how it looks on my bike!
    I got the same sliders and they came surprisingly fast. I also cut off the shoulders so they would sit flat on the frame and had to grind away a little slider plastic to clear the weld on the frame. I was also reluctant to drill the frame but decided that drilling in the center of the frame member really didn't take away any strength, the strength of the member is at the edges. To make it even stronger than bolting through a hole I decided to tap both sides of the frame so a bolt would not compress the frame. I found my center and drilled a 1/8" hole to start. To make sure my through-hole was perpendicular to the frame surface I drilled a wood block with the drill-press at a perfect 90 to make an angle guide. with the block against the frame I slowly went through my existing hole and out the other side. Then I used a 17/64 and enlarged the holes. Now I put a 5/16-24 tap in the drill and ever so carefully tapped the first hole while holding the drill at the angle I determined with the drill bit. The tap was long enough to let me continue through the inner frame hole. Now the frame can not be squished with the bolt and the whole section should be just as ridged as before the hole was drilled.
    The reason I used 5/16-24 was because of the availability of grade 5 fine thread bolts at my local home store, I wanted better than mild steel but not as brittle as grade 8. Also fine thread would work better by putting more threads in the thin frame metal. Unfortunately the thread on those 2" bolts was not long enough, I needed another 3/16" to thread through both sides of the frame and put a nut on the other side. I got out a 5/16-24 die and slowly worked some more threads down the shank with lots of lube, that grade 5 is certainly harder than mild steel! I had to drill out the sliders to get the bolt to come through farther and if I did it again I would have used 2.5" bolts with some spacers although a 1" spade bit drilled the plastic sliders quite easily. I used red loctite, threaded the bolts on and tightened them up. On the inside of the frame I used a thin jam nut just because I could find them and it was all that was needed in fact it probably wasn't needed at all. Plenty of clearance for a standard nut. I've now paid money and spent time on something I hope will never get used although you can rest your legs on them for a little stretch out on a long ride!

Sliders1.jpg Sliders3.jpg

Comment

• New clutch cable

My clutch cable snapped in front of three harley riders while I was making a left turn in front of them. The new clutch cable is like night and day. Very smooth. About 50% less pressure to pull the clutch in. The old one must have been filled with junk.
      --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
      --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

• Originally posted by ChandlerW View Post
        My clutch cable snapped in front of three harley riders while I was making a left turn in front of them. The new clutch cable is like night and day. Very smooth. About 50% less pressure to pull the clutch in. The old one must have been filled with junk.
        How did you make it home?

Comment

• Put on new Dunlop RoadSmart tires and did the 160/60 in the rear. Super cheap from Motorcycle Superstore $89 f + $99 rear.

Comment

• Put the carbs back on and cranked her up for the first time since Early Oct. 2012!!!!

Comment

• rewelded the seat framing back on my fighter project.... next is supporting that frame with new square tubing.
              "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

• looked at her and was sad because she is not running at the moment
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

• Dropped it and scuffed up my otherwise gorgeous plastics. Fsck!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Gave it a bath

Comment

• I just ordered some of the allegedly magical substance called fluid film. Can't wait to try it to see if it is as good as everyone said

Comment

• Carbs soaking!
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

• Put my plastic back on and took her for her first ride since rebuilding carbs, adjusting valves, changing the oil and cleaning up the engine. It was awesome!!! Just ordered new tires. Once I get some radials under me I will feel better.

Comment

• Went for a ride with my buddy who has a new matte black Ducati Diavel. His bike developed a gas leak and ended up on a tow truck. My 03 750 Kat carried on alone. I felt bad for him but it was sort of funny to see my old bike sitting next to his and telling the driver that he would be hauling the beautiful new bike. The Diavel is a rocking good bike though

Comment

• Got the best/cheapest most uselfull upgrade imaginable. Triboseat !

The wifey is loving it. No more slipping at red lights, she's now cemented on the back of the bike.

Also did an oil change. I went with Rotella T 15/40. I saw good feedback on this site for it so I gave it a try. So far so good.
                              Last edited by BwamSolid; 07-02-2013, 10:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Originally posted by BwamSolid View Post
                                Got the best/cheapest most uselfull upgrade imaginable. Triboseat !

The wifey is loving it. No more slipping at red lights, she's now cemented on the back of the bike.

Also did an oil change. I went with Rotella T 15/40. I saw good feedback on this site for it so I gave it a try. So far so good.
                                My girlfriend slides around a bit on the back also. She has got much better over years. She used to slide right down into my lower seat area at stop signs or lights. Now it has to be a very abrupt hard stop for her to slide forward.

Please let me know how much this helps, for $15 bucks can't go wrong I suppose.

As for me, I stayed up late last night painting my lower fairing (see the blue in my avatar). Plasti-dipped that white. Now just need to finish the tail fairing and the tank. Going to be all black and white plasti dip for now and than will fill in some of the white with monster neon green.
                                - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Working...
                                X